Builds My Tucson 40's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We are always on the opposite end of this argument I know.

Jack builds these to sell. At the point he is with nothing but a frame up it’s the time to upgrade. I installed my first set of JTO brakes this year and kept the 10 spline Birfs. Truck stops on a dime.

Well I hope they were the six spline birf, IIRC the 10 is the axle.

FWIW I ran the drums and the six spline birfs for 5 or 6 years over the rubicon and the bell of the birf broke, (once), other than that it performed. The drums can get scary when wet and on a steep granite slab, just gently bump they guy in front and let them slow you down.

Well I hope they were the six spline birf, IIRC the 10 is the axle.

To my knowledge there was never a ten spline axle with a Barfield. There was a ball and claw thirty spline axle on the 45LV. @pardion has one for sale or did.

FWIW I ran the drums and the six spline birfs for 5 or 6 years over the rubicon and the bell of the birf broke, (once), other than that it performed. The drums can get scary when wet and on a steep granite slab, just gently bump they guy in front and let them slow you down.

When I installed Lock Rights in my 68 I found one of the out axle claws was broken. The 4WD was still working really was the world's worst designs. Live in AZ and legal water crossings are rare. Rain is not much better. Lived in Oregon in my teenage years and definitely see the advantage of disc brakes in a climate it rained a bunch.

While I gathered most of what was needed to add disc brakes to my 68 I gave the idea up. Have a 73 FST plan on adding a disc brake axle because it almost a bolt on job with the right parts. I grabbed all the the running gear bellhousing back from a Australian 84 HJ47. Plan is to use it my 65 FJ45LP-B. While I was at it picked up the booster/master cylinder and all the brakes. Easier to upgrade with factory made brake lines. I'm not anti brakes, just on my 68 not seeing the advantage of the the work required including the rib on the firewall and wrong spacing on the brake clutch pedal. That pedal bucket is spot welded in.

Got a few items cleaned and painted.

20220503_194915.jpg

I continue to be amazed at what you can get accomplished in your garage.
Its only 99
Derees
Wait till its
124 or so

Personally would insulate garage and pickup a couple of room Air Conditioners. My free standing garage has double doors on the side. Have a piece of two inch Styrofoam in the second door the cut a opening for a 4500 CFM side draft cooler. Insulation isn't as big a deal but that not an all summer solution. Get it Insulation will install a mini split A/C. For now I just move to the other garage in the summer. The room A/Cs are an easier solution. Do not have the power to run a couple in the garage circuit can use heavy extension cords to other circuits. Last summer got creative and started using a couple inside. Have any questions let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom