My Tailgate Storage Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After seeing some great ideas for utilizing the storage potential in the tailgate, I decided to try and make use of that space on my 80. I ordered some boat hatches off Amazon and had my man install them.
image.jpeg

There is quite a bit to choose from, but I went with the 11"x15" dark grey Tempress. I liked these because they matched the upper pilar plastic trim in back almost exactly, and the smaller size didn't conflict with the tailgates internal supports.
First started by removing the tailgate carpet and identifying the best place to cut out.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Wanted to utilize as many of the carpet clips as possible and wanted it low enough to make best use of the more spatious lower portion while avoiding the upper latch components.
Used the template provided to trace location,
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Then drilled a hole in the corners to allow for easy straight cuts with the jigsaw.

Jigsaw with the metal cutting blade worked good with nice straight cuts. It doesn't protrude very far, so less risk if hitting any of the internal latch parts. Also saved the old metal cutouts in case they ever need to be welded back in for any reason.
image.jpeg

Dry fit to make sure every thing lined up....
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Fit like a glove! Then repeat same process for the other side.
A little primer and paint around the bare metal cutout...
image.jpeg

Then on to cutting out the carpet to fit beneath the hatch for a clean look. Used the old cutouts to trace and a utility knife to cut. You don't have to be exact here since you have a little play under the lip of the hatch.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
With carpet cut and lined up, repeat on the other side.
image.jpeg

Dry fit once again, and now ready to be secured.
image.jpeg

Used bolts and nylocks to secure. Went this route as opposed to sheet metal screws because wanted a nice solid attachment and because there are the different lengths to attach to because of the groovs in the metal. Plus, I didn't want any sharp screws inside....but I guess either route would have worked.
image.jpeg

Once bolted down, you get a very low profile....which is what I wanted.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
With storage hatches in, I wanted to add some easy lighting.
image.jpeg

Went with some small LED puck lights that were battery powered. Got them at Costco, don't remember what I paid, but pretty sure it was under $30. I liked the idea of battery powered because if they were ever left on, you'd only be out a couple batteries to replace.
image.jpeg

They secure with provided 3M tape, and chose the upper corner since that is where the most unusable space is in that area.....so less likely to turn on by something bumping and turning on.
image.jpeg

Easy push button on and off.
image.jpeg

And slim enough to fit under the hatches lip without hitting anything.
image.jpeg

Also, they can be unscrewed from the base and work as a small handheld light if needed.

Last edited:
A few night time action shots. Not the best pictures, but the lights are very bright and put out a lot of light.
image.jpeg

Plenty of light to see inside the hatches at night.
image.jpeg

Hatches can be propped up easily to illuminate the area behind.
image.jpeg

Or laid flat to light up the back cab.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
And the finished product.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

With the tailgate closed up. You can kind of see how well they match the upper trim of the grey toned interior.
image.jpeg

Now time to relax and enjoy.....
image.jpeg

....and decide what to store in them. I was thinking spare tools, jumper cables, rack tiedowns, etc... What, too boring?? Ok, how bout a plethora of extra bikinis and lots of suntan oil! Should have plenty of space for that.
I really liked how it turned out. Hope this helps if anyone is considering doing this extra storage project. Aloha!

Last edited:
No gratuitous posing shots? This thread will be dead... :moon:

Hi there Jen. What are you thinking about storing in those compartments you've created? Will the items you store there slide from side to side or interfere with the tailgate mechanism?

Very nice and clean install. Well done.

Great write up with better than average photos.

No gratuitous posing shots? This thread will be dead... :moon:
You spoke to soon, you should finish the thread. Cmon now, you know I can't post without putting in my poser shots!

You spoke to soon, you should finish the thread. Cmon now, you know I can't post without putting in my poser shots!

Well played. Well played.

Waiting for @NLXTACY or @retrofive to chime in with a "Yeah, he's known to finish too quickly."

Hi there Jen. What are you thinking about storing in those compartments you've created? Will the items you store there slide from side to side or interfere with the tailgate mechanism?

Very nice and clean install. Well done.
Anything that goes in there will be bagged and hopefully secured. Plus, I have some rubber no slip matting I havnt put in yet, that should help with stuff not sliding around too much. With the tail gate up while traveling, I think most things should be secure in the bottom away from the latch mechanism.

Well played. Well played.

Waiting for @NLXTACY or @retrofive to chime in with a "Yeah, he's known to finish too quickly."
LOL! I never finish projects too quickly! Oh did I mention I have the alrm function on my clock in the 80? :flipoff2:

Very cool, great write up. I like the battery powered lights too.

That's what I was thinking. Good idea in avoiding sheet metal screws.

Great place for recovery gear - easy to access but still very much out of the way. Great job on this. I've been considering it but can't fathom cutting into that tailgate... I liked the clean results you got, so I'll give it another thought.

Again, nicely done.

Anything that goes in there will be bagged and hopefully secured. Plus, I have some rubber no slip matting I havnt put in yet, that should help with stuff not sliding around too much. With the tail gate up while traveling, I think most things should be secure in the bottom away from the latch mechanism.

I saw where someone cut styrofoam protect the latch mechanism...Made kind of a shroud out of the foam.

And the finished product.
View attachment 1171676
View attachment 1171680
View attachment 1171677
With the tailgate closed up. You can kind of see how well they match the upper trim of the grey toned interior.
View attachment 1171678
Now time to relax and enjoy.....
View attachment 1171681
....and decide what to store in them. I was thinking spare tools, jumper cables, rack tiedowns, etc... What, too boring?? Ok, how bout a plethora of extra bikinis and lots of suntan oil! Should have plenty of space for that.
I really liked how it turned out. Hope this helps if anyone is considering doing this extra storage project. Aloha!
Yeah, great idea, and looks good.

nice work, is it fairly easy to get to the stuff in the tailgate or does it get "lost" in between the hatches? I have thought about this mod for awhile now.....
The space in between the hatches is very shallow, but I put a 2"x6" piece high density foam in between the two support bars and just below the latch mechanism all the way to the bottom, so stuff can't really migrate from one side to the other or interfere with the latch. Plus, the hatch sits right above the best usable space, so very easy access to it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom