My scratch built expedition style trailer build up thread (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Drew, I've got a whole pile of adhesive-lined heat-shrink tubing if you want a couple pieces for your cables. That electrical tape won't last too long.

1/2" diameter should be the right size for those cables. I can bring it to NSTBC one of these days, or drop it off for you... You want red, black, or both? :)

Alex

Hey Drew, I've got a whole pile of adhesive-lined heat-shrink tubing if you want a couple pieces for your cables. That electrical tape won't last too long.

1/2" diameter should be the right size for those cables. I can bring it to NSTBC one of these days, or drop it off for you... You want red, black, or both? :)

Alex

Yes please! Lets do it at a NSTBC!

I scored a 5m and 2m section of LED's on the bay today for less than $50 shipped to my door. Waterproof, and the color change/static modes, with remote :cool:

I am going to run the long one under the trailer along the frame for ambient light, and the shorter one will attach to my top bar of the RTT for "interior" lighting. :bounce:

5050_RGB.jpg

Did I mention I am a light freak? I love all things light! Surefire, Fenix, Malkoff... a few of my favorite things! :D

Got a few simple things done today on the trailer.

Added some much needed reflectors to be legal. These were simple enough, just peel and stick ;)

IMG_2829.jpg

IMG_2831.jpg

I also added a spot level, this little thing really helps when I am setting up camp for any length of time as I can really dial in the front to back and side to side angles... all from one spot near the jack and tire.

IMG_2828.jpg

I added a few LED lights to the lids of the trailer boxes... these are pretty nice for the $8 bucks they cost.
IMG_2886.jpg

Care to offer a more in-depth review of these? They seem like the would fit the bill perfectly for inside my boxes. I had originally wanted to go hard-wired to limit disposable battery use, but routing wires and the hassle of mounting a hard-wired light is far outweighed by the simplicty and ease of mounting these seem to provide.

Care to offer a more in-depth review of these? They seem like the would fit the bill perfectly for inside my boxes. I had originally wanted to go hard-wired to limit disposable battery use, but routing wires and the hassle of mounting a hard-wired light is far outweighed by the simplicty and ease of mounting these seem to provide.

I love those little lights. They are adjustable and pivot on their long axis nearly 180* but not totally. They provide as much light as the dot style ones... not a ton, but in true darkness they really light the area up. The were like $8 so it was a no brainer. Like you, I hesitated because of the disposable battery thing, but the benifits are great.

I used some 3M 200mph tape and they are rock solid, they slide on and off the batter cover and they run on just a few AA batteries. I am on my first set and I have had them for over a year! :D

I love those little lights. They are adjustable and pivot on their long axis nearly 180* but not totally. They provide as much light as the dot style ones... not a ton, but in true darkness they really light the area up. The were like $8 so it was a no brainer. Like you, I hesitated because of the disposable battery thing, but the benifits are great.

I used some 3M 200mph tape and they are rock solid, they slide on and off the batter cover and they run on just a few AA batteries. I am on my first set and I have had them for over a year! :D

Good deal! I see they sell them at wal-mart. I'll have to pick some up.

How frequently do you think they should be mounted? My kitchen box is 6' long, so I'm thinking probably 3 or 4 to light up the whole box? More? Less?

How about the level? Where'd you score that?

Like you, I hesitated because of the disposable battery thing, but the benifits are great.

Use low self-discharge NiMH rechargeables (Sanyo Eneloop and the like), stop worrying about landfill problems. :)

Seriously... 80% charge after sitting for a year. That's good enough for me!

Use low self-discharge NiMH rechargeables (Sanyo Eneloop and the like), stop worrying about landfill problems. :)

Seriously... 80% charge after sitting for a year. That's good enough for me!

Good to know. I wasn't really worried about landfill issues, but rather not having lights when I wanted them ;p

Good deal! I see they sell them at wal-mart. I'll have to pick some up.

How frequently do you think they should be mounted? My kitchen box is 6' long, so I'm thinking probably 3 or 4 to light up the whole box? More? Less?

How about the level? Where'd you score that?

Yeah, 4 would be good, but for that application I would use the LED strips and hardwire them.

I can't remember where I got the level... maybe Napa.

Drew, after you posted about the light strips I started researching them.

It seems you can basically cut them to any length you want(every 3 LEDs). Did you buy additional connectors so you can use the extra cut-off portion?

Drew, after you posted about the light strips I started researching them.

It seems you can basically cut them to any length you want(every 3 LEDs). Did you buy additional connectors so you can use the extra cut-off portion?

Not yet, I may down the road, but I figured out the length I wanted and just ordered them seperate.

I will post up what I think of them when I get them installed, hopefull this week... if they arrive! :D

And then..... :toetap:

I'm anxiously awaiting your impressions before ordering some for myself. Hurry up and be my guinea pig! :bounce: :D

Ha!

I have got the electrical system finally dialed in. I was scratching my head learning about charging two batteries on seperate charge circuits and tapping into a battery isolator. I have all my parts and started the wiring.

We went under contract on our home and are trying to buy another one, so my free tim has been nill.

Ha!

I have got the electrical system finally dialed in. I was scratching my head learning about charging two batteries on seperate charge circuits and tapping into a battery isolator. I have all my parts and started the wiring.

We went under contract on our home and are trying to buy another one, so my free tim has been nill.

I've been following your thread on EXPO. I'm facing the same questions regarding my battery setup. I'm off to West Marine this afternoon to brainstorm a bit before settling on the final components for my system.

I've been following your thread on EXPO. I'm facing the same questions regarding my battery setup. I'm off to West Marine this afternoon to brainstorm a bit before settling on the final components for my system.

If learned anything from this I would probably change to a 2 battery AGM style large capacity battery with a powerful 1 bank charger. Add a shore power connection port and isolator. I bought more of a trickle smart charger... which will be fine for my needs as I don't get too far out there without being able to recharge.

All said and done, I am excited about my system. With my setup, LED lights, 12v outlets, water pump and ARB fridge, I should be good for 4 days without rationing power. I have the capacity in water and propane to stay at least that long too. My goal for a solo trip would be a comfortable week plus!

If learned anything from this I would probably change to a 2 battery AGM style large capacity battery with a powerful 1 bank charger. Add a shore power connection port and isolator.

Have you priced those things :eek:

All said and done, I am excited about my system. With my setup, LED lights, 12v outlets, water pump and ARB fridge, I should be good for 4 days without rationing power. I have the capacity in water and propane to stay at least that long too. My goal for a solo trip would be a comfortable week plus!

We're on the same page here. Realistically, if I'm in one spot for 4 days straight without ever moving to recharge from the tow-rig, I'll be quite surprised.

Have you priced those things :eek:

We're on the same page here. Realistically, if I'm in one spot for 4 days straight without ever moving to recharge from the tow-rig, I'll be quite surprised.

Take up hunting ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom