My new "must carry" Safety item (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

murf

Lifer
Threads
I currently carry around a heavy and space taking mini floor jack in my 80 for potential flats because I don't trust the stability and safe bite of the factory bottle jack. Unless of course in on my flat cement driveway when it happens :rolleyes:

On a recent club run to Sunflower mine, a tire lost a bead in the bottom of a boulder strewn wash. The bottle jack out of my 80 would've helped but it didn't come out due to the uneven and wet surface made it unstable. We ended up getting the tire to reseat but took a while.
20160101_134614.jpg

My new safety item is Bottle Jack Adapter from LandCruiserProducts here on Mud. In measuring the bottle jack with the adapter attached not only does it go almost a full 2 inches higher than my mini floor jack, it now can grab the axle more securely than it does too. The OE bottle jack is actually a very quality made piece but I don't know anyone that really ever uses it. This should change that - especially in situations where the surfaces aren't ideal.

I took pictures from my own truck but defer to the better ones from the manufacturer. As you can see, on the rear squarish axle housing, this wraps securely to avoid slippage. On the front, one of the adapter legs is a little shorter to get a positive fitment so you can rest easy that original little round top won't be sliding off that axle and into a unsafe situation. Cruisers are heavy!

IMG_4838.JPG
IMG_4839.JPG
IMG_5532.JPG
IMG_4855.JPG

In checking out the topper: it has good welds, good fit, and simple design. I recommend it and the price was right. I got it from here >Land Cruiser Products - LCP

Finally can get that floor jack out of my truck!

Last edited:
Very cool, I bought one! I had a similar problem in my Tacoma after lifting it. I bought a bigger jack and modified the bracket in the back to store it. This is a nicer solution.

Very cool. I made one!

Seems as many times as needed the factory bottle jack is the answer over high lift and now resides permanently in the vehicle again.... Just as Mr. T planned

Reactions: RFB
Nice idea. I don't have a hi-lift and I dumped the factory bottle jack because it was a bit dead and I wanted to remove the mount cradle because it's a PITA to access. I now carry a Masada 7 ton bottle jack but also have a smaller 5 ton one in the shed. The extra fitting would be really useful as yes they aren't awesome in securely staying put when used in anything but ideal flat ground conditions.

folks, to add to Murf's very astute post above.

Everyone, although the site Land Cruiser Products - LCP only shows this implement for 80's. It is indeed made for 100's and 200's. Many of us have add a 100 or 200. Simply specify as the 100 series OR 200 series. See pics for reference. Get one, they are cheap, made by a local artisan, who enjoys LC's and clearly takes great pride in the hobby and safety. Above all the safety factor added is excellent and unquestionable.

2016-07-10_16.13.24_zps6aays8e9.jpg

Last edited:
I have purchased both, very nicely made and the 100 series jack has an 1 and 5/8 inch top
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
while the 80 series jack has a 1 and 7/8 inch top.

Great product making the Toyota jack more safe.

Made in the USA.

I bought one too and since my Craftsman floor jack has gone belly up I used it this afternoon for a wheel swap. The fit on the fj80 jack is good and the axle is much more secure once on the jack. It's small enough that it tucks away nicely next to the factory jack mount. You can't put a price on safety, so this is a damn good deal.

Damnit, just purchased sway bar brackets from @LandCruiserPhil not too long ago, wish I woulda known about these at the time.

Looks like a good investment!

Thanks to everyone for the positive feedback.:clap:
We are very happy with the safety the adapter provides and keeping it simple makes it affordable to all.

In the beginning I looked at a friends SafeJack as an easy quick solution (not cheap) for my wife. I was quickly disappointed when it would not fit under a LC axle with a flat tire, really. Additionally a Toyota mechanical factory jack is much more reliable and will work in any position than any hydraulic. With 16"+ of lifting capacity you can safely change any tire that will fit on a LC and it will fit under the axle when the tire is flat.;)

I'd pack a tyvek suit (or tarp) as well.
Then it looks like you have the Michelin Man changing your tire.
Unless you have a creeper, you will be laying on the ground to get the jack under the tire.
Another tip is when lug nuts are loose, and tire won't come of hub, turn around and kick tire mule style with full sole of your foot.
If that doesn't work, crack a beer and call Triple A, it will be about 1.5hrs till your mobile.

I'd pack a tyvek suit (or tarp) as well.
Then it looks like you have the Michelin Man changing your tire.
Unless you have a creeper, you will be laying on the ground to get the jack under the tire.
Another tip is when lug nuts are loose, and tire won't come of hub, turn around and kick tire mule style with full sole of your foot.
If that doesn't work, crack a beer and call Triple A, it will be about 1.5hrs till your mobile.

With a factory jack unlike other jacks you can use the crank rod to position it. With an adapter it becomes self centering and no need to lay on the ground but a trap is always a good thing to carry.

folks, to add.

Everyone, although the site Land Cruiser Products - LCP only shows this implement for 80's. It is indeed made for 100's and 200's. Many of us have add a 100 or 200. Simply specify as the 100 series OR 200 series. See pics for reference. Get one, they are cheap, made by a local artisan, who enjoys LC's and clearly takes great pride in the hobby and safety. Above all the safety factor added is excellent and unquestionable.

2016-07-10_16.13.24_zps6aays8e9.jpg

Thanks for posting this up. I have already ordered mine. I have had the unfortunate experience of having mine slip off the axle in the middle of a very dark, muddy and rainy night. I was deer hunting and had just shot the deer of a lifetime. I went back to get the truck and my rear left tire was flat. I had run over a cedar stump which put a long sllice in the sidewall. I positioned the jack perfectly under the axle on top of a piece of 3/4 inch marine plywood I carry with me and even the plywood sunk into the mud - which resulted in the the base of the jack shifting. It didn't damage anything and I wasn't under it but it scared the 5#!t out of me and made me keenly aware of the dangers of a bottlejack (which I previously thought of as a pretty bullet proof tool).

Thanks for posting this up. I have already ordered mine. I have had the unfortunate experience of having mine slip off the axle in the middle of a very dark, muddy and rainy night. I was deer hunting and had just shot the deer of a lifetime. I went back to get the truck and my rear left tire was flat. I had run over a cedar stump which put a long sllice in the sidewall. I positioned the jack perfectly under the axle on top of a piece of 3/4 inch marine plywood I carry with me and even the plywood sunk into the mud - which resulted in the the base of the jack shifting. It didn't damage anything and I wasn't under it but it scared the 5#!t out of me and made me keenly aware of the dangers of a bottlejack (which I previously thought of as a pretty bullet proof tool).

▲Great example▲ glad you are OK Thanks for sharing

This product is the results of me going over LX470 tire changing with my wife for her and my daughters trip to Mexico. I started to explain to here the jack placement I got WTF who design was that. She goes on to say No placement secured points like you would say my cheap Highlander has, OK OK ok let me see what I can do. Thanks babe you have now make the Land Cruiser community a safer place, she replies great.:rolleyes:

Just ordered one. Always like supporting the guys that are part of our community, especially when its something I can actually use!

I ordered as well and after having this for a month I had a flat on my wifes QX56 and tried using the Infiniti's factory scissor style lift with crank handle and it was hell getting it to lift vertically, the lift wanted to bend and flex in either direction since I was on a slight incline on my drive way. Then I had a :idea: , I grabbed the Cruisers bottle lift and it went up right with ease. Didn't need the bracket on this car but that bottle jack was so simple when compared to using Nissan's so called lift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom