My long intro (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
HI all and thanks so much for allowing me to reap the benefits of all your many years of trial and error. I have been reading various posts for over a year and today decided I just need to join up. Thanks again for the hard work and the posts.
I am very close to purchasing a 97 80 series. I have been hunting for about 6 months and have not seen the “perfect” one yet and know its probably not out there, or at least for under 15/20k. I have located a lx450 with lockers and it already has the basic mods I would have done. However, like many, the maintenance records are not too good. I have been reading this morning on the forum about the heater hose, the oil leaks up front, etc. I’m thinking about just getting it a cheap as possible and just takin one thing at a time.
About myself. HUGE gear head that’s been keeping it at bay for about 10 years. I was a ricer and still have my 400 hp 1992 Honda…ha (blue book is $50 so why sell it). I love bikes, cars, trucks, and for the last few years LOVE SUVs. I grew up driving around my dad’s 1981 Toyota Pickup when I could barely walk. From there I have always had at least one Yota in the driveway. I’ve had the 81 pickup, 1993 2x4 pickup, 1999 TRD Taco,20 02 Sequoia, 2016 Limited 4Runner, 2018 TRD 4Runner, 2002 Camry. I also strayed from the good stuff every once in a while with several Jeeps, M3, Audi, Suburbans, Range Rover (gezzz), and over 50 bikes. I liked flipping bikes for a while…. Nothing touches the dependability and function of the Toyota. I also have a 2002 7.3 Ford F-350 that I have had 12 years and has been an absolute blessing. It has 270k on it and you would think it had a yota badge.
I work 24/7 and drive about 50k miles per year for real estate. I am a former construction worker, turned Realtor and flip houses as a side hustle and work with lots of investors. I am not by any means a typical “agent” and see real estate differently and see a change coming. Starting my own firm as we speak. With real estate, a SUV is just awesome. I can drive people around if need be, show land and farms, haul tools, pick up that tile and toilet on the way home. I sold the BMW car about 4 years ago and have never looked back. I also will sleep in the back or at the office. Last week I logged 126 hours. With all that driving its hard to want something “cool” as you just rack up miles and devalue it so much. I keep several vehicles and spread out the love.
I also sold Toyota’s for 10 months while getting my RE lic as my government job had me always traveling too much. While there, I fell in love with the 4Runners. My dream truck growing up was a 2000ish 4runner. I purchased a 2016 4runner and ended up hating it. It just didn’t look right for a “4Runner” nor felt right. It was an absolute pig, merging was insane. I realized the true rear wheel drive 4Runner was what I wanted. I sold the other for my payoff and got the 18 TRD. I love it but love that warranty too. The Suburban and the Rover left my wife on the side of the road over the last few years, so now she is cruising and going to the dealership for everything. Maybe one day I’ll play with that rig but for now its staying stock and we have fun at the beach with it like it sits. I need the 80 series to mod and play with… and beat up on. I can’t imagine running the $700 a month 4runner through a tight trail right now!
In closing (this long intro) I live in the Hampton Roads area of VA – Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Technically live in Franklin. I hope to free up some time and use the 80 for some trails here, the OBX in NC, and Richmond/Charlottesville is just a few hours west. Anyone live near by to discuss repairs and trails?
Thanks!

Welcome! I'm in Richmond. Not really any trails to speak of around here. I go out to Harrisonburg occasionally and OBX at least once a year. I'm going to PA this weekend. Most of the good wheeling in my opinion is up there. Let me know if you're ever coming through. I own a shop in Ashland near 95 and 295.

Welcome! Sounds like you need a 200 series for day to day business and an 80 for fun on the weekends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom