My ignition switch and troubleshooting '78 - 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, a few months ago I started noticing that my 40 would engage the starter when moving the ignition back from start to ACC when turning off the vehicle. It is intermittent but can be a bit unnerving when it happens while the truck is in gear. So, I need a new ignition switch. My question is regarding the key. Can I re-key a new ignition to my existing key? Does that part even get changed out? I really don't want a separate set of keys for the fuel door, driver's door, ambulance doors, etc. if at all possible. Of course, it would not be the end of the world if I had to have a second key.

Also, My turn signals have stopped working and 2-3 times recently, my truck shut off when putting the turn signals on. I am thinking this may be something related to the bad ignition???

So, any thoughts on the ignition replacement before I go down that road would be greatly appreciated. Also, is this something I should order from Toyota or elsewhere. TIA!

I think you can get the doors and gas door re keyed to the new ignition switch. However, it may be cheaper to buy a whole new set of locks already keyed together. When I got my 77 40 it was missing the ambulance door key. I took it to a locksmith and he made me a key. I didnt put the lock back in properly and it fell out. I bought a new lock with keys cheaper than the locksmith charged me to make a key!

After reading a little more, it appears that since the turn signals are activated only when the key is on, replacing the ignition switch should, in theory, help out with the issue. However, I see where I can get an entire switch, with key or the harness portion, called the ignition switch. Now, I am not sure which part to get or if I need one or both. Thoughts?

If your 78 is similar to my 77 the Hazard switch may need a good cleaning as well. They are NLA so carefully remove it and take it apart to clean the contacts. Fixed my blinker issue, but my problem was different than yours. I THINK you can cut one side of a key to fit the ignition and doors, and the other side to fit the fuel door lock. Try and locate an ignition/door lock set.

Thanks @Trollhole .. I will order the electrical part and salvage the keys. I was hoping that was the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom