Builds My HJ 75 series ute (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got the old girl out today so i could clean the shed up a bit and find all my tools, turned it around so i can work on it easier,
next on the list is to sheet the roof and mount the solar panels, make the rear wheel mount & jerry can holders,
fit the airbags, lift the tray, paint the tray, install new cab mounts, will adjust the HID's once i fit the bags...still a lot of things to do but its getting closer :)

Got the flares on, worked all weekend, got half a day tomorrow then i am taking the rest of the week off to work on the cruiser :)
also working out where to mount the spare wheel and jerry cans, got one spare hanging from the rafters while i work out a bracket :)
IMG20170601180552.jpg

flares.jpg

IMG20170601143428.jpg

Got the flares on, worked all weekend, got half a day tomorrow then i am taking the rest of the week off to work on the cruiser :)
also working out where to mount the spare wheel and jerry cans, got one spare hanging from the rafters while i work out a bracket :)

Looking fine! Priorities are fine too :)

insulated the roof cavity on the canopy so now i can go ahead and sheet the roof in alloy sheet :) also insulated the inside of the canopy doors, Hoping to get out and start using it soon :)
canopy insulation roof.jpg

canopy insulation doors and roof 045.jpg
insulate to size pic.jpg

Looking good mate

Was wondering how you'll deal with condensation on the inside from sleeping etc. You planning on venting or covering the doors with carpet also to prevent dripping

Was wondering how you'll deal with condensation on the inside from sleeping etc. You planning on venting or covering the doors with carpet also to prevent dripping
inside of doors will be lined, i also have two side mounted roll out awnings one on each side of canopy (yet to be installed}there is a solar & rechargable exhaust fan in the rear corner on the roof of the canopy & i will be installing two scuttle vents like the ones pictured below in the front top of canopy to pressurize the canopy when traveling on dirt tracks, all the plywood used inside the canopy has been sealed both sides using tung oil which i had left over from one of my jobs, i will most likely get an annex to attach to the bed side of the roll out awning like this one pictured below & leave the door open when sleeping in there, hopefully that will work :) the roof of the canopy also will have 4 x 60 solar panels mounted which will cover 90% of the roof so hopefully that will slow any frost from settling directly on the roof of the canopy :)
canopy vent 3.jpg
canopy vent 4.jpg

annex.jpg

Last edited:
decided to remove the LED tail lights & replace them with more factory looking type ones, little surgery with the 4" grinder to cut out the openings needed, will be painting the tray before installing them but think these look lots better than the older led ones i removed :)
grill outside 023.jpg

The new lights don't mount flush so i had to cut the rear of tray so they could be installed
tail lights and thatchers lane 100.jpg

made a cardboard template.
tail lights and thatchers lane 093.jpg

then cut the opening out with the 4" grinder and a thin slitting wheel.
tail lights and thatchers lane 095.jpg

will give the rear of tray a massage & paint the whole tray before install the lights,
one side done, now to do the other side :)

tail lights and thatchers lane 096.jpg

Got both sides done, got a list of things to do before its finished but starting to get through them a bit quicker now, should get a few things done tomorrow if i can stay away from the TV :)
tomorrows list.
1, going to replace the dud 30 amp circuit breaker on the power board with the new one ,
2, drill some holes into the canopy base frame then weld in some 8mm wall crush tube into the 50x50 frame & bolt it all down,
3, run the main earth lead from the bus bars in the canopy to the chassis,
4, make the final connection from the redarc bms to start battery, have already run the positive lead & crimped a lug on it just need to hook the + cable to the start battery
5, get my tools and work van organized ready to start a crappy old floor on Mon :)
tail lights 001.jpg

tail lights 002.jpg

man that thing looks GOOD! what is the length and width of your tray?

Thanks Mate! I'm trying to design a new tray for my 55

I went back and looked through all the pictures. I’ll have to go back and read more of the posts to get the details, but it’s turning out great!

got a chance to wire up the new tail lights this afternoon, just need to drill & screw them on & tie the wiring back up out of the way in the harness now, I think i prefer these ones over the LED ones someone had previously fitted :)
tail lights wired up 067.jpg

tail lights wired up 068.jpg

Took the two alloy sheets for the roof up to the metal fab shop & had them cut to size & folded,
canopy roof 004.jpg

got a little bit more done, sanded the roof sheets back then etch primed them and coated them in hammertone black, test fitted where the solar panels will be mounted, will have 2 x 60 watt panels on each side of the roof, then cut the hole out for the exhaust fan, worked out where the wiring from the BMS to solar panels will come through and drilled the holes for those,, still have almost a full roll of insulation left over so i might put an extra layer in the roof cavity before fixing the roof sheets down :)
canopy roof paint 003.jpg

canopy roof paint 009.jpg

used 4 tubes of sikaflex 11FC two rows of rivets where the two sheets overlap by 5" down the center, run the wiring for the solar panels through the roof sheets, mounted the rain gutter, alloy angle will cover the front and back of the canopy where the roof sheets meet the front & back of the canopy, next job will be to wire up & mount the solar panels :) still also trying to work out where to mount the spare wheel & jerry cans on the back hence the rear still being exposed so i can weld in some extra supports. & wire up the 240 volt Led lights.
canopy roof on 011.jpg

canopy roof on 003.jpg

canopy roof on 022.jpg

started getting the 4 x 60 watt solar panels ready to be mounted, am joining 2x2 panels together using alloy angle which will then be secured to the roof with sikaflex & tech screws, will wire them all up in parallel before screwing them down, hoping to have them all hooked up and bolted down by tomorrow night, then i can start working out how i will mount my awnings :)
solar p 004.jpg

solar panals 030.jpg

solar panals 031.jpg

Finished solid mounting the 12 volt travel buddy oven in the kitchen, now it won't be able to move around on bumpy or corrugated tracks, coffee machine has been getting a good work out on the inverter too:)
travel buddy mounted 144.jpg

travel buddy mounted 142.jpg

Need to get it out soon and give it a tub, its covered in the wrong type of dust from sitting in the garage lol
travel buddy mounted 168.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom