Builds My HJ 75 series ute (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally got the old girl out of the shed, gave it a quick tub & went for a bit of a cruise out towards Mudgee to get my start battery charged up again as it was low from sitting around the shed for around 12 months, the 4 x 60 watt solar panels were working great in overcast conditions, i need to read over all the redarc bms instuctions so i can get familiar with how everything works but so far so good :)
landcruiser washed out cruising 003.jpg
landcruiser washed out cruising 007.jpg

Looks beautiful!

you must be pretty big; I'da put a hoist on it, too!!

Had a few days off this week & decided to get my truck out & test it out for a few days to sort out any bugs, everything went well, found a few things i need to do like building a table or work station for prepping food etc, changing some of the led lights to yellow to reduce the bugs at night, and i still need to hook up my water tank so i don't need to carry water in containers, I will be making some jerry can or fuel can holders on the rear left & wiring the 240 inlet circutes before cladding the rear of the canopy in alloy sheet,

here are a few pics from my camping trip, all pics and videos were taken on my mobile phone & just chucked together for a quick video, i will make sure i record the next trip a little better & put a better video together, this one is just a learning curve for me :)

Last edited:
Setup looks sharp! It's 9 degrees C here with the occasional snow storm. Jealous. Looks like a great outing

Setup looks sharp! It's 9 degrees C here with the occasional snow storm. Jealous. Looks like a great outing
thanks mate, few more additions to come and some small things to change but i am happy with how it all worked, its been around 28 to 30 degree Celsius here as we start to come into summer where it reaches high 30's to 48 degree every day, little hot for camping without shade :)

Looks like fun! Nice pics of the setup. Your dog has a nice cot. I suppose snakes and critters
can get into his bed just as quick as anyones, mind you he looks like he can take care of himself.

made all the brackets for the jerry can holders & test fitted them, i have two diesel 20 liters containers and two 20 water containers so depending where i am going will decide which ones to take, i have two 90 liter diesel tanks under the truck and a 60 liter water tank under the truck so depending on how long a trip or distance i travel will determine what jerry cans i use,
Now that the brackets are all finished i can remove the spare wheel and jerry can holders, then finish running the last bit of 240 volt wiring through the rear of the canopy & then clad the rear in alloy sheet, put everything back on & the canopy is done :)
lower home made brackets for the jerry holders
jerry can holders 014.jpg

all welded in, I welded a length of angle for the top bracket mounts, all studs are welded in so i can just slide the jerry can holders on and do up the nuts :)
jerry welding 032.jpg

jerry welding 033.jpg

all test fitted, now i can pull it all back off and finish cladding the rear of the canopy in 2mm alloy sheet, Happy days :)

jerry cans mounted 008.jpg

Nice project, turned out pretty good. I'm considering converting my 45 into a ute, or maybe you guys might call it a tray?

Such a nice build. Love the blue. do you know what it's called?

Such a nice build. Love the blue. do you know what it's called?

I painted the tray in an old Volkswagen blue color code: LH5D
its close but not the same,
I will polish the body up in the new year and go get body color scanned & get the paint matched so i can touch up stone chips on the body so i will find out what the actual color is then, the Volkswagen blue is a little different & stands out to much when touching up stone chips, its not as notifiable on the tray so the tray can stay how it is :)

I painted the tray in an old Volkswagen blue color code: LH5D
its close but not the same,
I will polish the body up in the new year and go get body color scanned & get the paint matched so i can touch up stone chips on the body so i will find out what the actual color is then, the Volkswagen blue is a little different & stands out to much when touching up stone chips, its not as notifiable on the tray so the tray can stay how it is :)

Following for this, it's such a nice blue. And although my LJ73 is factory white. Wouldn't mind a bold color like that!

Well done, mate. Looks great and a tribute to your build skills. Enjoy the outback trips.

Cheers

Well done, mate. Looks great and a tribute to your build skills. Enjoy the outback trips.

Cheers
thanks mate, hoping to get away for a few days or a week on Wed i was going to head off tomorrow but decided to finish the back wall & am still mounting the LH & rear awnings, i need to drill the holes out in the L brackets and my drill bits weren't up to the task today 7mm stainless L brackets & blunt drill bits don't cause nothing but grief lol, couldn't buy any new ones today as it was a public holiday so will finish it off tomorrow & hopefully be off camping on Wed :) just need to remove the screws i used to hold in place while the sikaflex dried put the alloy angle around the edges & rivet them in place,
canopy rear wall finished 175.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom