Builds My '78 FJ40 "44" (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Like this Danny? Reo and I on the pontoon boat, he loves it.

View attachment 1340363

Very similar Mike!!

Mine's blue, my Goldens are, well, golden and their vests are orange.

But, you got the picture!!

I can't find a picture right now and it's been 2+ years since I could last use it... But, Spring is around the corner and my back will be in great shape by then!!

My next trick is to see how he (we) ride the kayak. Pics to follow in the spring.

My next trick is to see how he (we) ride the kayak. Pics to follow in the spring.

Waiting on those pics!

I found a picture of Gunner in my pontoon... Maybe the vests are yellow... I thought orange, but now, not sure...

image.jpeg

I've started trying to get 44 organized for the eventuality of a post-Xmas trip...

Mounted my seat back Molle on the cargo netting that 'fronts' the loft I use for storage in the jumpseat roll bar.

Started filling my Molle panels.

Today, I'm hardwiring a cigar lighter to USB and cigar socket 'splitter', that I use to charge practically everything. I'm wiring it to its own circuit, on my accessory fuse block. Since this fuse block is 'always live', I'm also wiring in a toggle switch that allows me to turn it off, when I don't need it... No worries, I carry a JumpBox... Always.

Pictures later.

Hey Danny, you're getting bored aren't you? Boredom can be put to good use though, as your post proves.

Don

Hey Danny, you're getting bored aren't you? Boredom can be put to good use though, as your post proves.

Don

Hey Don,

I'm good at keeping myself from being bored... But, while I'm keeping busy, I'm long past ready to get out of Vegas for a few days.

In the past I converted cars to compete in classic car railly's. When adding the extra electrics I always build a parralel system next to the original wiring. I always split the new fusebox in constant and switched power using relays to prevent draining batteries. If it doesn't need power all the time switch it with the acc from the ignition.

In the past I converted cars to compete in classic car railly's. When adding the extra electrics I always build a parralel system next to the original wiring. I always split the new fusebox in constant and switched power using relays to prevent draining batteries. If it doesn't need power all the time switch it with the acc from the ignition.

Thanks Michael!

I considered doing that and may live to regret this...

But, I wanted most of my non-OEM accessory circuits to be useable with the ignition off. My offroad lights (front, back and side) are obvious, when on. The 'charging station' will be primarily used, while driving, but will be available for iPhone-charging, while listening to audiobooks, in bed, at night.

My OBA, when installed, is a toss-up... I suspect I will take your advice on this one... And use a relay to draw switched power.

I'll always have my JumpBox... And will confess, if I drain my battery.

Thanks for your insights!!

Why don't you build in an aux battery with a 3 way switch like in a boat. You can use a traction battery that can handle the drain better and disconnect it from the starter battery when you are camping. There are all kind of systems available from the boat industry.

I haven't seen the need, thus far, for a 2nd battery... I don't use a lotta juice... I use low draw stuff and LEDs. I have a winch, but it's apparently, just for profiling :cool:. The only way I can winch 44 out, in most of my playground, is by using 44 as an anchor. :rolleyes: A PulPal won't penetrate...

Anyway, what's a 'traction battery'? Or is that 'tractor'?

I have a portable 90W solar setup, I use with my truck and trailer, kinda like having an aux battery for my truck. But, I haven't seen the need to use it with 44... I also have a Honda generator... But, unless I buy an offroad trailer, I have no room... Without putting it on the roof rack and chance ruining my 'just fixed' back.

I'm really pretty minimalist, I just carry a bunch of stuff :D ... Especially spare parts and tools and small, rechargeable electronics. I play my DVD player off my JumpBox... Gotta watch my NYPD and BBC series!!

I'm fine with 44 right now and really want to hit the road/offroad for a few weeks/months... I just like it organized... Otherwise, stuff turns up missing in the vastness of 44's cab.

But, I reserve the right to revisit your suggestion later.

Thanks!!

Glad to hear the back is on the mend , Danny - I'll be watching to see how it works out for future (probably , near-future) reference...

I have had only 1 dog try to attack myself and my all-German shepherd , Toby had him by the throat and pinned on it's back so fast I didn't have time to react . He didn't kill the pit bull/Rottweiler mix but choked off the air enough to stop his aggression . Once the owner came around from the back of the house , I ordered him to let go and off the mix ran home , bleeding a bit from his neck . Owner actually thought I should pay for a vet visit - I suggested he just take care of it or enjoy dealing with the county Sherriff...dog has since shown bad aggression twice here in town and was put down a few months ago . Felt bad that I didn't deal with it properly the first time , a resident's small dog ended up losing a leg over that last attack and it should have never happened .

I don't think there are necessarily bad dogs , just really bad and uneducated owners that don't know how to be a leader..

Sarge

Don't get fooled into thinking your back is 100% only to get into a rough riding 40 and pinch something. Take it easy old timer. Glad that you are feeling better though! Keep it up and take it slow!

Looks like your healing up nicely Danny, that's great! But like @rkymtnflyfisher says, be careful. Think about it before you do it. Anything can happen.

Wow, just read what @handcannon wrote. Completely missed part your having post op. x-ray looked at.....hoping for the best man.

Last edited:
Sitting on pins and needles waiting for the surgeons word. And, like the others said, be careful. I'm sure your wife will have a lot to say about what you can't do, yet.

Don

ps-- I haven't seen 44 out and about for a little while. I bet 44 is chomping at the bit, just waiting for the right word.

Yep. 44's chomping, daBoise are chomping and I'm chomping!!

Dr Duke says it's fusing nicely!! Two more months to fully fuse.

In the meantime, I still can't play golf or baseball or bowl... Haven't done any of these in 30 years... 40 years for golf.

I also have to stay away from BJJ and quit throwing all those Tae Kwon Do kicks :rolleyes:

But... I can drive 44 and hike all I want, as long as no extreme off-road... I can also start using my spin bike again!! :bounce:

So, the good news, I'm free to make 44 trips with daBoise... The bad news... Dianna has laid down the law... I have to be very careful... And she will likely continue to remind me regularly. :D

I have some minor tasks (including some good spin bike rides) to take care of this week, but I'm planning take off, for a few days, with daBoise next Monday.

Here are a couple of zoomed X-rays... You can see the titanium 'appliance' and the screws... The dark 'space' between the screws is the L5 disc. It's the plastic version of the L5 disc... The spacing is perfect!!

To re-emphasize, for @Weber Sarge and others, I have zero pain, zero numbness, zero pre-surgery symptoms... I am walking 5 miles at a time... It's been years since I could walk more than a 1/4 mile.

If anyone needs a GREAT spine/brain surgeon, PM me... I have spoken to so many medical professionals, in all fields and they ALL rave about how good Dr Duke is and how his patients recover so quickly.

... And doesn't everyone want to come to Vegas for surgery?!? :p

image.png
image.png

Good news Danny! I can just see it now. Daboise and 44 doing that dance (no, no, don't need to find the outhouse), let's go, let,s go!

Don

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom