My 1970 FJ40 Hard Top Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
image.jpg

I decided it would be a good idea to just start fresh. This is my 1970 FJ40. 3-speed column shift, PTO winch. When I bought this the head and oil pan had been off of the motor for the 15 years it had been sitting in a barn. Since, I have cleaned it up and realized that everything is in great working condition as far as I can tell without a running motor in it. Front and rear driveshaft/hubs move fine and with little slack, steering has very little slack, transmission shifts fine, transfer case seems to shift fine. PTO winch is frozen up, working on freeing it up. The motor will be removed and replaced with a later 2F which I will purchase from CruiserParts.net at the beginning of 2015. I'm About to put some good tires on it, as soon as I clean up and paint the rims white, and trailer it to a welding/machine shop in my town to have the areas at the bottom of the exterior body which have rusted through replaced so I can then prime the body and bed line the interior/floor board.
image.jpg

Congrats on cruiser purchase!

I would say stay away from cruiser parts.net.......
Lots of stories on here of bad parts/ customer service.

I'll PM you about motor.

Well would a. 3F bolt right up to my 3 speed? Is it the same block as the 2F? Ok thank you wngrog, I'll try that when I get home.

I, too, would avoid Cruiserparts.

I bought two 4.11 diffs from them. I received one 4.11 and one 3.73. I returned the 3.73 and received a 4.11 that was missing all of the spider gears. I returned that one for another that was in terrible shape and needed a rebuild. I gave up and had that one rebuilt.

Big pain in the ass and it cost them a fortune in shipping. I don't know how they stay in business.

Where are you located, some parts of the country motors can be found for cheap.
I saw a 2f forsale on craigslist in Alabama for 250 last week. Don't know how much your wanting to do to an engine rebuilding wise but there are many ways, buying a complete motor from a vender would be the most expensive but would give piece of mind that the motor should be in good shape.

...via IH8MUD app

Thanks. I live in south Mississippi. I haven't thought to look on Craig's list
I've seen some members from miss pop up. I would keep an eye out. I search Craig's list as do most on here to see what's out there. I had never used it before the 40 but it does have some deals. I've seen wheel and tire packages and even spare 40 parts come along. I search in different terms like "fj40" "fj 40" "landcruiser" "Toyota" all terms that bring good results.
Those venders you list as well as all the others have been used before by people on here and parts buying experiences are talked about a lot around this forum so homework before you order can clear up things if your unsure . I've learned that most of the time if a part is a lot cheaper from a certain vendor than all the others it's for a reason. Usually a cheaper version of the part made in a different country so it can be hit or miss on quality.

These are fun projects and as people tell me it's a marathon not a race so do what you can when you can and don't rush.

...via IH8MUD app

Can you please check that 2F on craigslist and if it's still available send me the link

Where are you located, some parts of the country motors can be found for cheap.
I saw a 2f forsale on craigslist in Alabama for 250 last week. Don't know how much your wanting to do to an engine rebuilding wise but there are many ways, buying a complete motor from a vender would be the most expensive but would give piece of mind that the motor should be in good shape.

...via IH8MUD app

pm sent to you

One thing I learned pretty quick is spector offroad or sor has high shipping costs and some of their stuff costs alittle more. i think at one point it was 5 bucks an item for them to pull it off their shelf in shipping and handling fees in addition to shipping charges, but they do have lots of parts that no other place has and that nice website and parts inventory is not cheap so prices are understandable if one is being fair to them. They have also been around the cruiser industry a long time and are respected and a safe bet to actually get the part you pay for....Some places on the net will not actually send parts for months or ever, always research on here even alittle before forking over your cash to a place, but from my knowledge all sponsored venders here are safe

With all the cruiser vendors I spent my first month just researching what to buy and where. If you are going to do anything to axles Cruiser outfitters is a great place. Cool cruisers gets a tough wrap for using less than oem quality parts but they have parts at low costs and you get what you pay for, i have used them twice for non essential parts and had good experiences.

I would also post up in the classifieds section of this forum saying what you are looking for ie: WTB Engine, drive train near your town Miss, people are very helpful and ive even seen where people from very close locations find other cruiser enthusiast they didnt know existed.

There is a "wanted parts" section in the classified section. Try that first for the motor. I would suggest asking us on any other major purchase you may make. We know EVERYONE in the parts business for these rigs. We know the best options for certain parts due to our experience building quite a few of these 40's. We are glad to help.

Thank you Bodean. Y'all have been very helpful land you can trust that I will have many more questions the more I tear into my FJ40

There is a "wanted parts" section in the classified section. Try that first for the motor. I would suggest asking us on any other major purchase you may make. We know EVERYONE in the parts business for these rigs. We know the best options for certain parts due to our experience building quite a few of these 40's. We are glad to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom