Builds Mountain Goat '18LX build thread

They went front to back removing parts like visors grab handles etc. then top down (from front to back) and really just poked and prodded until it was done. Note that we never actually pulled it out. Just kind of hung it in place. Definitely no nice short cut.
Good info. Thanks!

You have to drop the headliner to access the OEM nut plates to remove the flush rails. The factory bars don't even use all the holes (there are plastic clips on 4 or 6 of them and the t bolts coming down from the rails are tiny, maybe 1/4" so the nut plates arent useable. I was only suggesting nutserts for the front 2 bolts on each side. At a minimum the back 1 on the front each side. Getting the initial off was one thing but getting a larger nylock with a damn washer is a whole nother. The nut area is tucked behint what i think is the mechanism for the moon roof. To be clear there is no (non-destructive) way to remove the factory rails without lowering the headliner.
Do you remember what size nylock nuts and washers you purchased for the job? Also, what size nutserts? We're going to try the install this Saturday and I figured I should try and get all the odds and ends this week while I have time. :)

Do you remember what size nylock nuts and washers you purchased for the job? Also, what size nutserts? We're going to try the install this Saturday and I figured I should try and get all the odds and ends this week while I have time. :)
I used the bolts that came with the rack. I don’t recall the nut spec but I took the bolt to ace to get right size. Get a couple of different size washers but nothing oversize. I recall there were two bolts that needed smaller than standard washers. I didn’t use nutserts, just wish I had. They will save you at least an hour. The hole is big enough that I bet you can use nutserts that fit the bolts that came with the rack. Good luck!

If your able to take some pictures while you take off the headliner can you please post them? I got my prinsu rack on Tuesday and gonna try to install it this weekend as well. I didn’t feel my Thule bars were sufficient.

B584EE01-BDFC-4ED2-B430-6150BC6B54DB.jpeg

Last edited:
If your able to take some pictures while you take off the headliner can you please post them? I got my prinsu rack on Tuesday and gonna try to install it this weekend as well. I didn’t feel my Thule bars were sufficient.

View attachment 2344991
[/QUOTE
Will do.
On a side note, how do you like your 23Zero RTT? I've been doing some research and that's one of my favorites.

I really like the tent. With the annex my family of five sleeps comfortably with my two older daughters sleeping in the bottom in a cot bunk and my wife and 2 year old up top. I bought it used on this forum and the cover had some small rips and 23 zero sent me a replacement cover at no cost no questions Asked.

In case someone picks up on this thread. I installed a Prinsu on a 17 Lx this weekend. All the holes match up perfect. Paid an upholstery place 285 to lower and put up the headliner. We used his parking lot to install the rack. LX holes aren’t threaded so we had to add some nylock nuts and washers. Easy except for the front 2 each side. Took a finger contortionist. In hindsight I should have just gone home to grab rivnut tool for those 4. Thank god my 20 year old is more patient than I.

View attachment 2324603

View attachment 2324604
We managed to get my Prinsu rack installed last weekend, but I'm noticing some serious vibration coming from the rack. Enough to where I can notice it visually in my back window. Have you had any issues with vibration?

Tommy Dwyer

SILVER Star

We managed to get my Prinsu rack installed last weekend, but I'm noticing some serious vibration coming from the rack. Enough to where I can notice it visually in my back window. Have you had any issues with vibration?
What position do you have the fairing mounted in. Reason I ask is that on my LC, with the fairing mounted in the higher position which creates a larger gap between the fairing and the roof, I would get a vibration at certain speeds. With the fairing mounted in the lower position and with the rubber strip on the bottom edge, my fairing contacts the roof line, leaving no gap...and no vibration.

What position do you have the fairing mounted in. Reason I ask is that on my LC, with the fairing mounted in the higher position which creates a larger gap between the fairing and the roof, I would get a vibration at certain speeds. With the fairing mounted in the lower position and with the rubber strip on the bottom edge, my fairing contacts the roof line, leaving no gap...and no vibration.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll check out my mounting position asap. If memory serves, I think I have a pretty big gap, so maybe that's my issue. Fingers crossed. Thanks!

Not at all. Just arrived in South Dakota from FL. Loaded with max trax, 4gal roto, 2 Wolfpack , and a batwing.

Yes, pics of the process would be much appreciated, eel32.
Finally got around to getting some pics of the Prinsu rack install we completed a couple weeks ago. Sorry for the delay. So we don't completely take over this thread, I started a new one. ;)

Top Bottom