2016 LX Prinsu Roof Rack Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had some requests to post some pics of the Prinsu RR install I recently completed. As stated by a few others, this project wasn't easy. Matter of fact, it was quite the pain in the ass. As suggested, I hired an auto upholstery guy to take down my head liner. He started in the front and worked his way back. There was also HVAC ducting that needed to be removed before the install could start. Since this was going to take a couple hours, I didn't stick around for his part of the job. A couple buddies and myself showed up after he was done. Pictures start at the point we began our install. We used the Prinsu bolts, but I purchased additional washers (multiple sizes), as well as Nyloc nuts. As mentioned in other threads, the holes in the newer model LX's are not threaded. Still scratching our heads as to why Lexus made this decision?? Most of the bolts were not too difficult to get a nut on, but the very front two were a serious pain. Simply just no room to work. Lots of patience and multiple tries finally paid off. Ended up taking the upholstery guy about 2+ hours to get the headliner down. We took about 1.5-2 hours to fully assemble the rack, and then an additional 1.5 hours for the headliner and HVAC ducting to be put back up. Ate up a Saturday pretty quickly.

Side note: Due to reading some other threads about the fairing rubbing on the roof line, I had originally put the fairing in a higher position. Unfortunately I ended up with a pretty serious vibration. Bad enough that it would blur out the rear view mirror. Sounded like my high school car with a wicked bass tube! I ended up lowering it down to the lowest position that the Prinsu holes would allow and it cured the issue right away. Others have said they even drilled holes to go lower, but in my case the lowest Prinsu holes seemed to do the trick. I have the weather stripping from Prinsu and it only touches a little in the middle, but isn't touching all the way across.

IMG_8338.jpg

IMG_8340.jpg

IMG_8346.jpg

IMG_8337.jpg

IMG_8339.jpg

What did you do for water proofing around your bolts/holes?

What did you do for water proofing around your bolts/holes?
I used an auto/marine grade sealant made by DAP. I applied it best I could around each spacer post-install. In hindsight I would've been adding it along the way during the install. Would've been much easier to do. At this point all I can do is cross my fingers and monitor when it rains. I'll probably go back through with a second round too.

This seems to be favored by several around here:
Non-hardening

It's non-hardening gasket (similar to what they used at the factory), a bit different than RTV.
I put a bead on the bottom of the spacers to seal up the mating to the gutter, then i filled the inside of the spacer, lathered up the bolts prior to insertion, and finally gooped some on top between the spacer/prinsu/washer.

I just saw you post in the picture thread about your vibration being back.

So it stopped after you lowered it, but now the vibration is back?
Do you have any pictures of how you have it installed now?

Out of curiosity - if you run a string from the top of the front bar to the top of the back, does the string touch all the bars in the middle? Mine was flat, but others had to shim a lot to get it straight.
Sorry for my late response on this @radman Yes, I laid a 2x4 from front to back and it lays flat.

I just saw you post in the picture thread about your vibration being back.

So it stopped after you lowered it, but now the vibration is back?
Do you have any pictures of how you have it installed now?
Yeah, it came back a day or two after I had lowered it to the lowest factory Prinsu mounting holes. Crazy that we took an hour + drive and it was totally fine. Then I did some off-roading and it started up again the next day. I thought maybe something had rattled loose, but I re-tightened everything and it was still really bad. Today I took your advice and drilled additional lower holes. Took it out for a test drive. So far so good! :)

Thanks for this thread with pictures, eel32. I am planning to install an OEM rack off of a new LC on my ‘18 LX and maybe in the future installing an aftermarket one. I already have the LC rack and crossbars. But if it’s necessary to remove the headliner again to do yet another install (unlike what LC owners can do), that would be quite unattractive.

I’d been guessing that I could buy and use whatever devices holds the LC racks to the LC roofs. But is this lack of threads that you referred to (quote - “As mentioned in other threads, the holes in the newer model LX's are not threaded.”) going to require the headliner be removed for each install as mentioned above? Of course, I could buy once and instal once but I’ve already got the LC take offs. Just wanting to understand what I’m getting into.

I’d been guessing that I could buy and use whatever devices holds the LC racks to the LC roofs. But is this lack of threads that you referred to (quote - “As mentioned in other threads, the holes in the newer model LX's are not threaded.”) going to require the headliner be removed for each install as mentioned above? Of course, I could buy once and instal once but I’ve already got the LC take offs. Just wanting to understand what I’m getting into.

This is what is in the older models, including my '15 LX. Assuming the diameter of the gutter holes is correct, I don't see a reason why you couldn't use them.

Thanks for this thread with pictures, eel32. I am planning to install an OEM rack off of a new LC on my ‘18 LX and maybe in the future installing an aftermarket one. I already have the LC rack and crossbars. But if it’s necessary to remove the headliner again to do yet another install (unlike what LC owners can do), that would be quite unattractive.

It's a tough call and I don't pretend to know enough about this stuff to hand out advice. I hate to say it, but I would have to assume you'll need to drop the headliner to add an OEM or aftermarket rack on a 16' or newer. However, that ebay link @radman attached might be your ticket. Others have also talked through using Nutserts. I didn't have the tool to install them. Some type of rivit tool to seat them in the hole from what I understand...? Sorry I can't be more help.

Just curious, how many folks that have through this painful install actually use these roof racks? I ask because several of my coworkers have put aftermarket roof racks on their 4Runners and never use them, purely for show.

Is it worth the trouble and expense of the install?

yea, that's odd. How are you tightening your bolts without access to the bottoms nuts?

Also, I put a layer of this on my roof where the bulb trim makes contact:

XPEL Clear Paint Protection Film Roll 6" x 60" Amazon product ASIN B0748QWY99
I am only lowering and messing with the fairing bolts. Now that the bottom of the fairing is touching the roof line paint, I also ordered something similar. Made by 3M.

This is what is in the older models, including my '15 LX. Assuming the diameter of the gutter holes is correct, I don't see a reason why you couldn't use them.

Thanks for your reply and especially the link, radman. If my understanding of what I’ve read about installing a 3rd party rack on an LC (and pre-16 LX’s) is correct, you remove the existing OEM rack from the top, being careful not to lose access to the “things” under the roof (and above the headliner) that the bolts attach to. With the flush mounted rails on the 16+ LX’s, I realized that removal from the top would not be possible. Now, I see a path where dropping the headliner would only have to be done once, since utilizing these brackets, switching out the LC rack with another stronger aftermarket one would be like what LC owners go through.

I am also going to assume that the holes in the LC roof an the LX are identical in size and location. I’ve seen pics of current model LC’s with the same flush rails that I have (non-US models). Apparently, Toyota will equip models as appropriate for the various markets, like LC’s with AHC. That makes sense.

It's a tough call and I don't pretend to know enough about this stuff to hand out advice. I hate to say it, but I would have to assume you'll need to drop the headliner to add an OEM or aftermarket rack on a 16' or newer. However, that ebay link @radman attached might be your ticket. Others have also talked through using Nutserts. I didn't have the tool to install them. Some type of rivit tool to seat them in the hole from what I understand...? Sorry I can't be more help.

No, you’ve been very helpful by posting those pics and comments earlier. Much appreciated. They illustrated for any of us 16+ LX owners what amount of work is required to remove the flush rails.

Thank you for the write up. Just picked up a 2020 LX570 and will be doing something like this down the road too.

Just curious, how many folks that have through this painful install actually use these roof racks? I ask because several of my coworkers have put aftermarket roof racks on their 4Runners and never use them, purely for show.

Is it worth the trouble and expense of the install?
I could get away without mine 99% of the time. But twice a year I do trips that there is no way I could carry all the gear without a rack. I'm a single guy so I assume those with families use them far more often than that.

[/URL]

from memory only that product looks right. The concern will be making sure you get it “stuck” to the underside of the roof in a way that prevents it from falling into the headliner when you remove the rack next time.

No, you’ve been very helpful by posting those pics and comments earlier. Much appreciated. They illustrated for any of us 16+ LX owners what amount of work is required to remove the flush rails.
To be clear...there is no non-destructive way to remove the factory rack without lowering the headliner. The eBay link part goes on from the underside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom