Most Documented FJ62 in the Country? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I recently came across what I believe to be one of the most documented Land Cruisers in America. While I have been a member of the site for several years, I don’t usually post as much as I should; however it would be wrong not to share this with the community. Thank you in advance for your interest and would love to hear any story you may have of a similarly documented truck. Just super curious as to how many of these are out there.

This Low Mileage (69K Original Miles) FJ62 was purchased on BaT earlier this spring (3/28/21) by a gentleman who shares a deep affection for these rigs. We’ve both owned a number of high quality FJ’s and are attracted to exceptional examples. We're passionate about the preservation of these better than average survivors, and enjoy the process of researching and meticulously sorting these trucks. We're not really trying to remove these trucks from circulation, as we believe that they should be driven and enjoyed.

We’re not a restoration shop and/or running a business but, together, find enjoyment in this part of the "circle of life" the same way that some people find enjoyment in driving, restoring or collecting these trucks. We don't really have a road map. We're not sold on just stock. We're attracted to certain trucks for reasons that are hard to describe. We're researching these trucks thoroughly and in some ways letting their history dictate their future.

Arrival and inspection:
When the truck finally arrived a few weeks after the purchase, the first thing I noticed was a huge binder full of documents. I quickly told my wife (showing her the huge accordion binder), its late (it arrived close to midnight) and I am not going to go through all of these documents tonight, but I bet the previous owner has paperwork for other cars in here that we’ll probably have to ship back. The next day, as I started going through all of the paperwork I was amazed to find that everything in the binder actually belonged to this Land Cruiser. It was a little surreal and exhilarating to realize that this was probably one of the most documented examples out there.

Summary of Documents:
The truck has over 175 receipts & original documents. The breakout of these documents is detailed below:
  • Original Literature
    • Owner’s Manual
    • Owner’s Guide (The one with the 1989 Toyota Supra on the Cover)
    • Vin Labels for Maintenance
    • Dealer Code and Name Label
    • 2 Rare FJ62 Brochures
      • First one includes all specs and dimensions
      • Second one includes all features, interior cloth options and exterior color charts offered that year.
  • Pre-purchase Research documents
    • Magazine Cutout from November 1988 with a Feature/Review of the FJ62.
    • 8 Pages from Automobile Invoice Service with detailed comparisons of options, features and costs between other Toyotas available for sale in the same years.
    • 1 front and back notebook page filled out with handwritten notes and calculations as the original owner was rationalizing the purchase decision
  • 109 Total Maintenance Records
    • 87 Records from the original owner
      • About 84 out of those 87 were from Downtown Toyota where truck was purchased new
    • Truck has received 86 Oil Changes (all documented)
      • Average Miles are 812 per oil change
    • Last major receipt was for $6,373.96 in 2018
      • Engine was literally resealed at the Toyota Dealership and major maintenance was performed; from brakes to differentials
  • Automotive Log Books (2X)
    • Original Owner logged Fuel, Lubrication, & Repairs in an At-A-Glance Auto Record Log book.
      • First Book was printed in 1988
      • Second Book was printed in 1997
        • Second Book is Labeled as LANDCRUISER BOOK 2
    • Log Book Contents
      • Original Owner Logged 370 Fuel Records
        • From Dealer Courtesy Fill up @ 103 Miles on 12/10/88
        • To 62,530 Miles on 11/18/06
      • Logged all Oil Changes
      • Logged all Repairs
      • Logged all tire transactions
  • Keys
    • Truck Came with Original Keys plus a few spares
    • 1 Sheet of Paper with OEM Key Code for key reproduction
      • Key codes were common as they could be given to a locksmith to cut a reproduction on the spot in case of a lockout
Oil Changes & Original Owners Maintenance Approach
After going through every single receipt, I was very intrigued by a pattern I noticed. The previous owner was literally getting the oil changed on the following dates:
  • March 10th
  • June 10th
  • September 10th
  • December 10th
At first I wasn’t sure why it was always on the 10th and after looking at other documents, I realized that he purchased the truck on December 10th and literally did his best to have it at the dealer every 3 months after purchase (regardless of miles on oil) for the rest of his ownership. At times he would take it in on the 9th, or 11th, but would gravitate back to the 10th in a very set pattern.

I’m not sure that most of what the Original owner did to keep this truck in top shape was necessary, as we’ve all seen examples that keep running for decades on deferred maintenance, but coming across this 32 years later is rather special. I am always amazed at those original owners that absolutely fell in love with these trucks before they were hip/cool and really cherished them for the decades they were under their ownership.

The work we have done
  • The top item on the list when it came here was to re-install the OEM cloth interior that came with these. The truck had been retrofitted with SOR vinyl seat covers. I was surprised to actually like them more than I thought I would, but going with anything other than OEM with this truck would have been a sin due to how special we think this truck is.
  • We had the local dealer go through the truck and do a thorough inspection along with, yes, another oil change.
    • Toyota Techs and Dealer personnel found it a joy to see, inspect and work on
    • As we suspected, the dealer found nothing at all needed on the truck and in top condition
  • I painstakingly removed all of the window tint
  • We had the AC charged and replaced the battery.
  • We went with BFG KO2 31X10.5XR15’s that showcase the trucks stock stance + spare.
  • I have also spent considerable time correcting some of the chrome imperfections and/or replacing some of these pieces with OEM components.
  • While most of the work I have done has been cosmetic, I have inspected for leaks (none present), gone through hose brackets and inspected the truck thoroughly on top of what the dealer did.
  • Rear wheel ornamentation caps arrived and will be changed this week
  • Last on my list is to spend a little more time continuing to gently clean an already near perfect interior.
Image Format
While I am posting a few pictures of the truck, I want to stay in line with the theme of this post and focus most of the pictures on the documentation. Since there is a 5X image limit per post I will continue to comment with additional images and what you should expect to see. Because I had over 175 Images of just documents/receipts, I had to create layouts with about 8-9 receipts per image so that I would be able to show all receipts but not have to upload 175+ images. While it was a ton of work to lay this all out, I am sure that members of the community will enjoy seeing the original owners meticulous documentation on top of what everyone else that owned it did to contribute to making this so special. Thanks again for your interest in the post and I will do my best to stay as engaged as possible in case anyone has any further questions.
F15A8240-E56E-4239-A97B-F3F5025D5E97.jpeg
791DB8D5-012F-4F5E-AB1B-934214447CB0.jpeg
5594C1AB-3DC8-44CF-B81D-88E0A4C45143.jpeg
246861B8-CED5-4E3F-984E-D5AFAC22E36A.jpeg
9FB85CFD-D8A1-4C3C-9866-28EAE3E21B32.jpeg

The following pictures include the following:
  • An article from November 1988 that the Original Owner Cut out as he was making his purchase decision.
  • A print out from Automotive Invoice Service comparing all options against other Toyota Models and his notes that seem to have helped with his purchase decision and also come up with a target price.
  • Toyota Key Codes incase of a lockout
  • Note Pads that include the following
    • Part number for Touch Up Paint in the Toyota Format
    • Paint Code for Red FJ62's which is 3F4
    • Detailed MPG notes and fuel tank capacity
  • Picture from 20 Years worth of Emission Test Results
EE1DEE6E-F83E-4CCC-AFBB-28BA19C3CAF9.jpeg
AC73C2B2-C706-4221-9C2B-8347E2FF4267.jpeg
47BDF056-3F41-44D4-8E0F-484B4D30E780.jpeg
693CA67C-41E0-416E-8DB0-1D79FCEB519A.jpeg

The following images showcase the thorough maintenance that was done by the original owner. Most of these receipts are from the dealer where the truck was purchased new. These 5 images total about 40 maintenance receipts from the trucks early meticulous maintenance.

4F9279A6-9293-4529-85EA-0FA270CDC0BB.jpeg
CE8CA510-7619-4B34-A8A0-BB860B5143F5.jpeg
90720EC7-F552-4E6F-B4DF-9A56A0885425.jpeg
491C851C-7E6A-4BDC-9B95-404918DA24EE.jpeg
B6892D22-7707-4E04-99DC-1B8C32DA0E5E.jpeg

Here are some additional maintenance receipts, mostly all done at the Toyota Dealership where the truck was purchased new. I apologize for all of the pictures but it's just incredible to see how much the Original Owner cared for this truck.
C5128915-8DB7-414D-A90D-3499ACF32DE2.jpeg
A8D3CCD6-DCD3-495E-BFEB-8C0F87AF50E1.jpeg
8BFD20B4-D3B2-448A-88F0-B8B60A8B9F59.jpeg
0C636C80-DDD6-462F-9981-D0A7C521D63A.jpeg
2549EF8A-0D0F-4232-B1A0-85F0A5E34AE0.jpeg

Here are the final Maintenance receipts. At a certain point one of the owners used Valvoline to service the truck (mostly oil) and the very last page is from the previous owner who spent over $6,373.96 to ensure every single little detail was sorted.

I think I am mostly impressed with how each owner did his/her best to keep up with the original owners meticulous maintenance.

9424F0F4-1920-472E-AB9C-8B1D5627B1C9.jpeg
F582C4A5-9DD7-4561-8C6C-3AD730247991.jpeg
556CF6A8-F3FD-48A4-924F-FB0A32CC6E3D.jpeg
60F4F3FE-7A11-458D-A11D-5AA9918BEC1B.jpeg
F98D5483-02F8-4E35-8C9A-50E50E3FEB86.jpeg

I promise this is the very last batch of images. hahaha

The original owner literally documented every single fuel record in an Automotive Log Book. It doesn't seem like he ever skipped an entry and when he ran out of space he literally purchased another book. I think these log book entries are probably my favorite thing about this truck. I owned a truck that had similar records about 5 years ago and I literally thought there was nothing else like that out there.

The fuel entries alone add up to 370 entries not counting lubrication and tire rotations.

Looking forward to your review, comments and would love to see any other stories of similar rigs you may own or know that still exist out there.

-Best,

Grayluher
0B0A44D8-961E-4777-ADC4-6A5F05AEE98F.jpeg
EA2664DB-7AD2-45C9-A1A7-81C3CBAC3E85.jpeg
B2618BC5-6972-462B-9183-87BA5A60105B.jpeg
785A71CC-4FFD-4281-B4B4-2A21309E4312.jpeg

Hey it was originally sold here in Spokane! I've gotten many parts from that dealer over my years here.

Small world.

Beautifully maintained rig.

Provenance - the core of a collectable. Impressive. I’d surely like to see this truck. I get the feeling
you have more than a Land Cruiser in your collection.

Provenance - the core of a collectable. Impressive. I’d surely like to see this truck. I get the feeling
you have more than a Land Cruiser in your collection.
While we certainly understand and appreciate the collector sentiment, we’re driven by the process of discovering, researching, understanding and improving these trucks. This was a great truck to begin with; one that deserved the attention to detail that we’ve given it. We're running out of ways to improve upon this well preserved example and that is the part of the process that we most enjoy. This truck will return to the wild soon and hopefully it finds someone who enjoys driving it as much as we have enjoyed sorting it. We have two more 60-series trucks that we will be turning our attention to… Neither as documented as this one, but both are special in their own way.

Hey it was originally sold here in Spokane! I've gotten many parts from that dealer over my years here.

Small world.

Beautifully maintained rig.
Small world indeed and it's awesome that you have done business with them.

Do they have a strong Land Cruiser culture at the dealership? Some dealers really do and others not as much. My local dealer in Southern Oregon has a blown up pic of an old 40 in their showroom and the GM there offered to showcase this truck for a few days or so. Anyway, feel free to point anyone you know at the dealer (that might be interested) to this thread. I wouldn't mind sharing some pictures of the truck with them in the event that they would like to use them to showcase a truck that they actually sold 30+ years ago.

Below is a pic of that 40 with this rig in the background in line for maintenance/inspection.
A24D3769-ABB5-4CF8-A9ED-256C5550F1E8.jpeg

Small world indeed and it's awesome that you have done business with them.

Do they have a strong Land Cruiser culture at the dealership? Some dealers really do and others not as much. My local dealer in Southern Oregon has a blown up pic of an old 40 in their showroom and the GM there offered to showcase this truck for a few days or so. Anyway, feel free to point anyone you know at the dealer (that might be interested) to this thread. I wouldn't mind sharing some pictures of the truck with them in the event that they would like to use them to showcase a truck that they actually sold 30+ years ago.

Below is a pic of that 40 with this rig in the background in line for maintenance/inspection.View attachment 2761318
Not so much there anymore. There are a couple parts guys that are Cruiser heads, but not nearly to the caliber of @cruiserdan or @Onur. There really aren't any serious ones immediately around here. About an hour away is Sandpoint, ID where the Land Cruiser Shop is, but no hardcore dealer based Cruiser guys.

That’s a lot of volume for only 69k miles!

I have a lot of the same stuff for mine including all the original paperwork, vin window sticker, dealer service records, etc. Not pictured is the key # tag on a dealer keychain that came with the purchase.

Even has the service record for the gas tank recall being completed (sometime around 92 if I remember correctly).

Anyone know the purpose of the vin sticker sheet?

24C04FE0-E88A-4BC9-9082-77BE80E71CDB.jpeg

What we need is to somehow have a Land Cruiser show. With real show quality trucks.
Mine does not qualify. @grayluher have you been to the museum in Salt Lake City?

That’s a lot of volume for only 69k miles!

I have a lot of the same stuff for mine including all the original paperwork, vin window sticker, dealer service records, etc. Not pictured is the key # tag on a dealer keychain that came with the purchase.

Even has the service record for the gas tank recall being completed (sometime around 92 if I remember correctly).

Anyone know the purpose of the vin sticker sheet?

View attachment 2761408
Thanks for sharing! That seems like a fantastic rig! Have you had it for a long time?

I agree on the volume of receipts vs. miles driven. The original owner was definitely taking the rig back to the dealer ever 90 days regardless of wether the truck needed maintenance or not. Funny thing is that ownership after him was kind of doing the same, which you don’t actually see with these things.

I think the vin stickers were used for final inspection by the dealer and maybe major maintenance, as I have seen these on a few receipts in the past on another rig. I wouldn’t really know to be honest with you.

Would love to see a pic of your rig!

Last edited:
What we need is to somehow have a Land Cruiser show. With real show quality trucks.
Mine does not qualify. @grayluher have you been to the museum in Salt Lake City?
It would be awesome to be able to gather some clean rigs for a show. Problem would be logistics as they are probably scattered across the nation. Would be cool to see all kinds of trucks and I am sure if yours could talk it would have some amazing stories. I haven’t been there yet, but I think a pilgrimage there is long overdue!

That is pretty amazing! I love detailed oriented car owners!
impressive for sure!!

Congrats on the $83k BAT sale!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom