Morrison Trail (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Was a fun trip, no major damage. the new boulder is negotiable. We had TC's 80 with sliders that stuck out wide, 100 series,a lexus, 2 fj's, a jeep and my 40. One thing everyone had was a lot of respect for the hill. Hope some crosses and a memorial sign are put up so as to make people aware of what can happen, human memories are pretty short and need a reminder. I'm sure some pics will be posted soon.
Alfred, I'm looking forward to doing a trail ride with you when you get your 40 finished. A pair of 40's and maybe a 45 and my boys 55 would be a fun ride. I'm sorry I missed you when you stopped by the place to grab those seats. Ron

Great run!!! I'll admit I was a anxious about hauling the 100 up the switchbacks but it really wasn't all that bad...as long as I didn't look back and see the Jeep and 40 making it look easy ;)

Here are a few pics, it was hard to get the magnitude of the switchbacks while on them.

Heading to the switchbacks
DSC_4369.JPG

Starting the hill
DSC_4400.JPG

At the new rock on the third switchback. A spotter and we all cleared just fine!
DSC_4414.JPG

Getting up there
DSC_4447.JPG

Hit a point where we were stacked on top of each other

DSC_4466.JPG

Continued.....

FANTASTIC TRIP! I agree with LAX "it was hard to get the magnitude of the switchbacks while on them." Thank you all, a great bunch of guys to roll with:steer:!

Almost to the top
DSC_4476.JPG

Plenty of room for friends but one of the most exposed corners near the top, rolls away to nothing right behind the rigs
DSC_4481.JPG

And finally on top!

IMG_20170812_120747186.jpg

On to the rest of the trail
DSC_4482.JPG

Continued....

After the switchbacks the trail continues relentlessly upwards

Not a lot of parking
DSC_4511.JPG

The overlooks were the payoff
IMG_20170812_133904603.jpg

Once it leveled off we passed through surprisingly lush forest and big open plateaus
DSC_4541.JPG

DSC_4580.JPG

There is actually 1 80, 1 100, and 2 FJ Cruisers in this picture
DSC_4586.JPG

How many can you find? :clap:

Continued....

At the northern end of the trail we started seeing snowfields and passing lakes
DSC_4599.JPG

With the water came the mosquitos...but a worthy tradeoff
DSC_4601.JPG

All in all it is an absolutely beautiful trail and should be on anyone's to do list! The earlier warnings of a solid parking brake and strong cooling system definitely hold true but I don't think there was any damage on any of the rigs and everyone came out smiling.

Me and TC headed home through the Park, he wanted to pet a Bison, so here's the drive home
DSC_4645.JPG
DSC_4654.JPG

I peeled off at a mess of people clogging up the road, I know...shocking in the park in August! Turns out there was a wolf feeding on a bison carcass so I couldn't pass up hiking around for a few pics. It's a black wolf with a grey face, apparently he had been there a while so he was just resting after a big meal
DSC_4660.JPG

Thanks everyone that came with, thank you TC for leading and organizing, and hopefully the pictures will entice more to join us on next year's run!

I just added a ton of pictures to my “Google Drive,” please check them out @ "Morrison TOYOTA Trail!" LOL - Google Drive

The pictures start at the base camp at about 4,500 feet at around 8:30Amish, after a very nice windy Smokey nights sleep next to the river! For those of you that have never been there before, the base camp at the bottom is mostly dry desert looking! You are in a canyon valley with very high mountain peaks surrounding you, which by mid-day you will be at the top of one!

We ascended the switchbacks in two groups; the first group being led by TC followed by Evan, then me. The second group was led by Aaron followed by LAX; Jeremy and Ron. If you look very closely at picture #13, in the middle of the picture it shows the switchbacks.

In one of the pictures you will see a grounded up Rattle snake that either TC or Evan’s tires turned on in one of the switchback turns. It was doing a death roll and it was not very happy to say the least!

You will see pictures at the top of the switchback and then when we start through the trees with the pretty streams and forest. From there you will come out at the highest point on the trip at around 10,500 feet with some high mountain lakes, large snow drifts and lots of open space. Then you start down back into the trees and rocks, with some nice boulders to climb, Moab style but smaller, still fun!

At around 5:00Pmish we found a BEAUTIFUL camping spot! TC, Evan, Lax and Ron headed for the barn. Aaron, Jeremy and I spent the night. I would say that this camping spot was one of the prettiest places on earth that I have been too!! It also helped that there was NO smoke from the fires around Montana like the first night! The stars were popping at 10:00PM. We woke up to a little rain, but it stopped and left us with a MAGNIFICENT sunrise!

I hope that you enjoyed, Thx for looking!

**NOTE, ** ALL PICTURES TAKEN ON THE SWITCHBACKS WERE TAKEN WHILE MY FJ WAS STOPPED, FOR SAFTEY REASONS FOR OTHERS AND MYSELF! “NOT A PLACE TO DRIVE AND TAKE PICTURES WHILE MOVING!”

WOW! :steer:

Were you up there today? First photo looks like a couple of large boulders but manageable, second photo I can’t see the road any more. Looks a lot less manageable. What the details surrounding those photos?
Road is closed, according to the Park County Sheriff's office (it was scheduled to close April 1 per the seasonal schedule anyhow, but they closed it earlier due to the slides).

Yup, USFS closure order, should reopen 15 July: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd574491.pdf

Were you up there today? First photo looks like a couple of large boulders but manageable, second photo I can’t see the road any more. Looks a lot less manageable. What the details surrounding those photos?

These are from the Park County Sheriffs Facebook. I just thought it was interesting. It will be open by July i am sure.. The second picture looks like they were looking up at a large rock that is tetering and may slide farther? I cant sort out if the road completely washed away or what either.

CANT WAIT TO DO IT AGAIN !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom