More Cup Holders? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I need some help. I badly want to finish the ashtray and cup holder design for the 81-84 console because I am constantly getting asked to make the lid and ashtray for the 81-84 conosle. I thought i had fitment dialed in but I was wrong. My console is in pieces and held together with duct tape. It's making fitment almost impossible since one of the main cracks goes right through the ashtray. Does anyone have an 81-84 console they aren't using? Fading, stains, cracks are fine as long as there are no cracks going through the ashtray section. I don't mind horrible condition. I am open to purchasing it from you or borrowing it for a couple weeks if you have plans for it down the road. Shipping will be on my dime. I would prefer to work with one in poor condition and not a prestine one going into a fully restored show truck. I don't want the added stress of being afraid of damages some how.

Last edited:
When you finish this how about a custom console for all of us with aftermarket buckets, my stock stuff was gone long ago, have tried several different things even made one out of cabinet plywood. What you build is so clean how about doing a whole console...

Another idea for a product, all of the police tahoe's and suburbans have a square metal radio box in the middle that is a horrible design. Make a product for them that is ergonomic and not an elbow/leg killer... and has a useable cup holder..

Keep up the work when i finish the 73 with buckets and a factory console you can take some of my money...

When you finish this how about a custom console for all of us with aftermarket buckets, my stock stuff was gone long ago, have tried several different things even made one out of cabinet plywood. What you build is so clean how about doing a whole console...

Another idea for a product, all of the police tahoe's and suburbans have a square metal radio box in the middle that is a horrible design. Make a product for them that is ergonomic and not an elbow/leg killer... and has a useable cup holder..

Keep up the work when i finish the 73 with buckets and a factory console you can take some of my money...
I wish I could make entire consoles but my 3D printers could never go that big. That would also be 2-3 spools of filament. It would be extremely expensive to make one. The larger format industrial 3D printers with HUGE beds are starting to get close to a cost I can afford. When that happens I will look into custom consoles for all types of Cruisers.

look forward to it, I understand at such a low volume its hard to justify certain products. Injection molding equipment and molds are expensive. 3d printing has created a new market for low volume products and that's great for the cruiser community. thanks for stepping up and using your creative abilities to fill this niche..

If you are able to get a larger printer the consoles and gear boxes for the back of SUV's is a large untapped market..

Last edited:
I finally wrapped up the center console ashtray for the 81-84 40 series. It took a while to get the design wrapped up. The OEM design had some serious structural issues leaving it very prone to cracking. The hardware was also sub par. I needed a design that looked, fit, and functioned like the OEM but had all the needed improvements. I don't know if this will be a big seller or a flop. I made a medium sized batch of the ashtray and the cup holder that goes into the ashtray hole. If they do sell well, I will make another batch asap and restock as quickly as I can. I apologize for the ashtray being so expensive. $45 was as low as I could go. There is a ton of supports to make this part look correct. There is also a ton of hand sanding and acetone smoothing to make it look correct. The labor just killed me. The cup holder insert has way less support, way less labor, and doesn't require any assembly so I was able to keep it's price lower. PLEASE be aware that my ashtray will NOT come with the metal spring plate. It's not really needed with my hinge design but I went ahead and left the slot for it in case folks want to reuse the OEM one from their cracked ashtray.

Here's a link to the product page:
40/45 Series Landcruiser Archives - BH3D Printing

Here's the links to my etsy pages for folks that need it shipped outside the US.
Ashtray 40 Series Landcruiser 1981-1984
Cup Holder Ashtray Insert 40 Series 81-84

IMG_1509.jpg
IMG_1510.jpg
IMG_1512.jpg
IMG_1514.jpg

20180321_090042_resized.jpg

Here's a couple shots of the hardware. There a countersunk hardened black screw on the outside. It threads into a nut that is press fit into the backside of the hinge that is built into the lid. It seems quite a bit stronger than the OEM setup.

20180321_090100_resized.jpg

20180321_090231_resized.jpg

Here's the final cup holder ashtray insert that is now available for the folks who don't care about the OEM look and just want function.
IMG_1516.jpg

IMG_1517.jpg

1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the orders guys. It looks like the ashtray may be a big seller. I may run out sometime today. If you see the ashtray is sold out on my website or Etsy I should be able to restock it within the next day or two. I already have another batch printing right now.

Well.... we just sold our 50th 40 series rear ashtray. I want to thank the mud Community for the support. I wouldn't call it a huge seller but it's definitely successful and chugging right along. Hopefully many of those went to Mud members. Also, with Fathers Day right around the corner, I wanted to remind the mud community about my 15% off mud discount. Use coupon code "TEQ15" on my website www.bh3dprinting.com or my Etsy page www.etsy.com/shop/bh3dprinting. That will give you 15% off the entire order and still allow for free shipping anywhere in the US.

Well.... we just sold our 50th 40 series rear ashtray. I want to thank the mud Community for the support. I wouldn't call it a huge seller but it's definitely successful and chugging right along. Hopefully many of those went to Mud members. Also, with Fathers Day right around the corner, I wanted to remind the mud community about my 15% off mud discount. Use coupon code "TEQ15" on my website www.bh3dprinting.com or my Etsy page www.etsy.com/shop/bh3dprinting. That will give you 15% off the entire order and still allow for free shipping anywhere in the US.

Nice. I missed the Mud discount, but very pleased. The ashtray is perfect and the cup holder + USB power is a great addition.

D93BD2CE-1681-44E2-90BE-789D78B149B9.jpeg

It's been a while since I popped my head up around here. I didn't want to come out of hiding anytime near the crazy holidays. We just sold our 250th ashtray this week. I really appreciate the support on this product and all the cup holder products. I will be developing more 40 series stuff this year due to the success of the other 40 Series items we released. I will give you guys a list of products I will be releasing soon. I just need to make sure they can be consistently made, look OEM, and have a demand from you guys first. I will update when I'm a little further into the new projects.

It's getting close to 2 years since I updated this thread. I wanted to discuss two things. The first is simply a thanks to the mud community. The entire 40 series product line has been very successful and allowed me to add quite a few items to our inventory list with more to come. The 2nd thing would be built around me not posting on this thread. My 2 year absence seems to have caused many in the community to forget about the product line. We are still selling the 40 series products really well so the issue isn't in sales. The issue is that I'm getting emailed and messaged from guys here very regularly asking when I will develop cup holders for the 40 series guys. Well..... I already did. I think the newer crowd of 40 series guys just are not aware of it. I figured instead of constantly responding to those emails and messages and linking them to this thread, I could just go straight to the source and get the info out here. We DID and still do make cup holders for all of the 40 series console from the early stamped metal ones, to the smaller plastic ones, to the larger plastic storage consoles made in the later years. You can go through this thread to see pics of them all or you can go to either link below and see the product line in one place. Hopefully this will get the word out and the daily requests for cup holders will stop.
Make sure to scroll down if you go to the links. There are more products and cup holders further down the page for the 40 series.

It's getting close to 2 years since I updated this thread. I wanted to discuss two things. The first is simply a thanks to the mud community. The entire 40 series product line has been very successful and allowed me to add quite a few items to our inventory list with more to come. The 2nd thing would be built around me not posting on this thread. My 2 year absence seems to have caused many in the community to forget about the product line. We are still selling the 40 series products really well so the issue isn't in sales. The issue is that I'm getting emailed and messaged from guys here very regularly asking when I will develop cup holders for the 40 series guys. Well..... I already did. I think the newer crowd of 40 series guys just are not aware of it. I figured instead of constantly responding to those emails and messages and linking them to this thread, I could just go straight to the source and get the info out here. We DID and still do make cup holders for all of the 40 series console from the early stamped metal ones, to the smaller plastic ones, to the larger plastic storage consoles made in the later years. You can go through this thread to see pics of them all or you can go to either link below and see the product line in one place. Hopefully this will get the word out and the daily requests for cup holders will stop.
Make sure to scroll down if you go to the links. There are more products and cup holders further down the page for the 40 series.
I really like mine. Now I need one for my '08 Malibu :).

Looks like bumping this thread and letting the 40 series community know I am still making these cup holders was a success. I was getting an email at least once a day asking when I would start making cup holders for the 40 series even though I have been making them and continue to make them. For this last week, I only had one email asking that. Sounds like the new folks now know that I make them. One less email I have to deal with every day. Win!! Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom