More Cup Holders? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The ashtray design was a joke of Engineering. The OEM part had some serious design flaws with structural integrity. It's no wonder why most of the lids cracked off. My design heavily reinforced the weak areas without changing the OEM look. I have printed a few prototypes and got fitment pretty darn close to perfect. Here's a shot of the last prototype. Be aware this is a prototype and not a final product. It has not been sanded or smoothed out in any way. The final version will look MUCH smoother and not nearly as 3D printed. I do have some pics of the assembly with the lid installed but can't seem to find them. I will dig around and see if I can find them.

View attachment 1527512

20170224_162747_resized.jpg

View attachment 1527515

Reactions: Wes
I found more pics. Here is a smoothed out version all assembled. the final version will get a couple coats of flat black enamel to remove the ugly gloss. My last issue is to get those last little rough spots on the outer edge of the lid to smooth out. I will eventually get it perfect. I put this project on hold until I get through the 40 series cup hodlers and a few TEQ grille badges for other vehicles. Maybe around November I will release these. This is also a VERY difficult part to print. There is a ton of support and hand sanding/smoothing that has to happen. I'm not sure the cost to make will scare off the customers. I would be in the $40-$45 range for each one. Not sure how that sits with folks but any less and I make nothing.

20170306_215618_resized_1.jpg

20170306_215639_resized_1.jpg

20170306_215645_resized_1.jpg

20170306_215657_resized_1.jpg

Beauty!!! sign me up haha. I dont even smoke i just want it to look complete. God coin holder also haha

Beauty!!! sign me up haha. I dont even smoke i just want it to look complete. God coin holder also haha
It may be a few months. I had to put this project on hold for a few reasons. One was the hinge pin. Toyota just uses these little metal clip/shim things where mine is designed to have a pin go all the way through. My prototype pin is a finishing nail I cut to the right length. that is a ghetto solution. I need to find a pin that is the perfect size to use. I also want to come up with a couple different designs that use that mounting hole. Like possibly a rear mounted cup holder instead of an ashtray. Once I get all the details of that project figured out I will start talking about it more.

Are they going to be gray or black? Factory was black. Bought a new OEM ashtray some year ago and one of my consoles had the ashtray minus the missing cover. Both are black. Look great by the way.

Missed this page on my phone and see they will be black. $40-$45 is about what I paid when they were still available. Can't find used in that range now.

Missed this page on my phone and see they will be black. $40-$45 is about what I paid when they were still available. Can't find used in that range now.
I wish I could do less then the $40-$45 range but the labor to make the part smooth is costly. There is also the cost to paint and assemble. It's just not an easy assembly to make. I can at least say they will look very OEM BUT with some much needed structural improvements.

So I'm working on my website right now trying get ready for releasing the 40 series cup holders tomorrow. I need to make 100% sure I have the years correct on the 3 consoles. Please help me get these correct. The first console which is the stamped metal one was made from what year to what year. It looks like it's last year of production was in 78. Is that correct and then what's the first year? That would be the console pictured below:
In ?-78?
image.jpg

In 79-80 this console was available, correct?
IMG_1610.JPG

In 81-83 This console was available, correct?

s-l200.jpg

Last edited:
So I'm working on my website right now trying get ready for releasing the 40 series cup holders tomorrow. I need to make 100% sure I have the years correct on the 3 consoles. Please help me get these correct. The first console which is the stamped metal one was made from what year to what year. It looks like it's last year of production was in 78. Is that correct and then what's the first year? That would be the console pictured below:
In ?-78?
View attachment 1529476

In 79-80 this console was available, correct?
View attachment 1529477

In 81-83 This console was available, correct?

View attachment 1529481

73-78 models used the steel consoles. 79/80 was still used later if the optional rear heater wasn't installed. Most had the heater here. Other markets a bench seat was widely used so no center console but some markets were not getting any heater. Markets with bucket seats and no heater would have the short console post 8/80. Besides Canada most other continued to got the 40 past 83. Many are making their way to the US. Have a feeling at some point there will be more 83+ 4X here from other markets than the around 200 Toyota imported here new, unless that number has already been reached.

73-78 models used the steel consoles. 79/80 was still used later if the optional rear heater wasn't installed. Most had the heater here. Other markets a bench seat was widely used so no center console but some markets were not getting any heater. Markets with bucket seats and no heater would have the short console post 8/80. Besides Canada most other continued to got the 40 past 83. Many are making their way to the US. Have a feeling at some point there will be more 83+ 4X here from other markets than the around 200 Toyota imported here new, unless that number has already been reached.
Wow! That complicated to crap out of it. I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to set that up on my site. I think folks will just have to use the pics to find the console they have. So the larger console from 81-83 was used in later years in Non US spec 40s?

Wow! That complicated to crap out of it. I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to set that up on my site. I think folks will just have to use the pics to find the console they have. So the larger console from 81-83 was used in later years in Non US spec 40s?

Yes if buckets seat and rear heater this console was used. Not sure what models and if the had buckets seats and a heater but 4/86 is the latest I'M seen parts listed for the 4X series. The mid wheel base BJ46 for sure used this in 84. Would have to paint brown since it had a brown interior including the center console. Believe the BJ42s imported to Canada had this console thru the 84 model.
Pretty to list
73-78 steel console
79/80 and 81 plus non rear heater with center console
81 plus with center console and rear heater.

Another question. I know the FJ40s can accept these cup holders. What about the FJ45s or the BJ? versions? I guess I'm just asking if there are other Toyota models that used these same consoles from the factory.

Last edited:
Another question. I know the FJ40s can accept these cup holders. What about the FJ45s or the BJ? versions? I guess I'm just asking if there are other Toyota models that used these same consoles from the factory.

Believe most 45/47 had a front 40/60 bench seat and no console. Short and middle wheel could have the buckets with a console or the bench seat. Depending on the market could be a lot of bucket seat models floating around.

Believe most 45/47 had a front 40/60 bench seat and no console. Short and middle wheel could have the buckets with a console or the bench seat. Depending on the market could be a lot of bucket seat models floating around.
Shoot. That complicated things again. I was hoping for a simple answer.

Shoot. That complicated things again. I was hoping for a simple answer.

I really think you might consider console type specific cup holders rather than FJ year/model specific cup holders. I think it might be easier to describe and photograph consoles rather than bust your brain. Remember the KISS principle.

I'm getting ready to do a full website redesign later this month so I'm just going to post the cupholders by year and console tomorrow and then get it better dialed in after I redo my site.

The first wave of cup holders is now up on my etsy page. This is the site I do all of my international shipping but also ship in the US. I will be working on getting them up on my website soon but for folks who want to get on the first wave; they can be ordered now. Here's the link:
www.etsy.com/shop/bh3dprinting

Please be aware that all orders that are placed this weekend wont ship out until Tuesday due to the holiday weekend.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom