Moon roof won't fully close (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to fully close the moon roof. I've tried the method it says in the manual to reset it. I thought it was shut all the way, then went to wash the vehicle and sure enough it's still letting water in.

Any one else have this issue? How do I get this thing fully closed?

(Re)Setting sunroof limits after replacement​

Try these steps in the thread above if you havent already

How do you know it’s still letting water in? Getting into the cabin?

Even a brand new truck with a perfectly closed sunroof will still let some water through the seal. That is the reason there is a perimeter gutter and drains. But those drains can clog..

This happened on my 80 one time. I opened the moonroof all the way and looked inside and around the glass and seal very closely and found a small pebble had settled near the tracks. I felt fortunate the motor had not been strong enough to cause damage with the pebble lodged. This may be unrelated to what you are experiencing, but I think a very thorough (re)inspection is in order to rule out the simplest and cheapest possible cause. Just my two cents.

It's a significant amount of water. I went through a touchless car wash.

First time I did this, it was severe, water coming into the cabin dripping from the sunglass holder, etc. After this, I read up about how to close it and reset it if it's not shutting all the way. So i did that. And from looking it from the outside, it appears to be closed.

Second time through the wash, it is still letting in a significant amount. It didn't let in enough to leak in the cabin this time but i could look up and see lots of water dripping in. Is that normal? It was all being caught in the gutter/drains I assume.

It's a significant amount of water. I went through a touchless car wash.

First time I did this, it was severe, water coming into the cabin dripping from the sunglass holder, etc. After this, I read up about how to close it and reset it if it's not shutting all the way. So i did that. And from looking it from the outside, it appears to be closed.

Second time through the wash, it is still letting in a significant amount. It didn't let in enough to leak in the cabin this time but i could look up and see lots of water dripping in. Is that normal? It was all being caught in the gutter/drains I assume.
If it looks closed, I suggest cleaning the sunroof drains. Even if the seal is good it may still let a bit of water in. The water should drain out - it drips behind the front wheels on either side. If those get clogged with leaves or dirt the water will come into the cabin once it overflows the lip

The seal isn’t designed to be water tight, hence the gutter. That doesn’t mean the seal can’t wear.. it may be compressed, stiff, gunk built up on the gasket or roof opening lip.. all possibly leading to too much water coming in for the gutter and drains to handle, even if they all operate as intended.

So yeah, make sure the drains are clear, there is a great tool for this on Amazon for very little money. Make sure the gasket and lip are clean. Make sure a pebble isn’t jammed in there pushing it one direction or the other.. but don’t expect there to be zero dripping through the gasket under carwash conditions when inspecting closely.

The other thing… if it appears closed.. meaning it’s flush with the roof panel.. it is closed.

This happens to my 2013 LC at one particular touchless wash. The sunroof drains seem to be working if I pour water into the gutter. Maybe the carwash is overwhelming the gutter? It so far has never happened from just rain.

As a side note, this is a likely cause for your seat heater not turning off. I would check the connectors in the kick panels for corrosion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom