MOFW 1981 FJ40 Picture Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

what does mofw stand for?

Based on mostly photos in this thread posted by Mr. Lowe, I'd venture a guess that MOFW may be: Man of few Words? :meh:

image.jpg
IMG_7280.JPG

In the past 3 - 4 years the best looking fj40s that I have seen come up for sale have been failed frame-off restorations.
A rolling chassis and a garage full of parts in boxes.

That one sure looks like one worth owning.
I'd bet the engine alone has a few hundred hours of work in it.
I have one that looks just like it....same blue masking tape.
20140913_132811.jpg

Good score, also kinda confused on the history and back story

Wonder why the VIN listed on the auto transport is so short, it should be 17 digits in 1981

Good score, also kinda confused on the history and back story

Wonder why the VIN listed on the auto transport is so short, it should be 17 digits in 1981

The backstory:

I'm the fifth owner. The truck was sold new/ owned by a Toyota dealer in Texas. He kept it on a ranch in Mexico. Apparently, it was in a "accident" while south of the border and was parked. From there, it somehow made it to Colorado where it lived inside for 8 years, also not being used. This owner repaired the "damage" that occurred in Mexico and later sold it to a real estate guy in Charleston. When the real estate market took a down turn in 08, he sold it to a pharmacist in Jacksonville. The pharmacist drove it for a few years and pulled the motor to have it rebuilt. I asked him why the rebuild with only 57k. His reply to my question was "if I have to replace the rear main seal, I might as well have the motor rebuilt". The motor was rebuilt five years ago and he hasn't been able to put it back in the truck due the loss of his brother in law, who pulled it for him. Just as you'd expext from a pharmacist every nut and bolt from is properly labeled and categorized.

It has a 17 digit Vin on the windshield frame. They probably just use the generic number for transport.

Nice score!
-M

It's a keeper!

Last edited:
In the past 3 - 4 years the best looking fj40s that I have seen come up for sale have been failed frame-off restorations.
A rolling chassis and a garage full of parts in boxes.

That one sure looks like one worth owning.
I'd bet the engine alone has a few hundred hours of work in it.
I have one that looks just like it....same blue masking tape.
View attachment 1447950
Can you give us some information on the paint used on the engine? Color/Manufacturer of the gray in particular

Can you give us some information on the paint used on the engine? Color/Manufacturer of the gray in particular
Regarding the paint on the 2F block in the picture.

The block was painted black then sprayed with Rustoleum Professional "Metallic" #244493.

It is basically clear coat with metal flake in it that is made to be sprayed over other paint.

Had this paint from a few years ago.
It probably came from Lowes but now I can't seem to locate it anywhere.

I hope it isn't discontinued. It makes anything look great.
The look can be adjusted by either laying it on or just using a dusting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom