Mods hurting the value? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

without adding much value to the conversation.. I'm building this FJ55 for me and my family to use for what it was intended, not for the resale.. doing what many purists and modders would consider bastardisation. The only thing making me feel less guilty about what I'm doing is the considerable rust and sketchy condition the 55 is in already.

There has been a lot of great dialog here. Most people enjoy creating to enjoy the journey. Sometimes there is a master plan and sometimes not.

In 1973 I bought a 1972 fj55 with 3200 miles on it. I drove that beast extremely hard all over the western US. I had no mercy. It was my airplane, helicopter, submarine, work truck and every day driver (oh and sex wagon). All without any "mods".

At the time, Man-a-Frey was the landcruiser connection nearby. I tried the Rochester 2 barrel, the headers and can't remember what else I tried to do to make a better machine. Non of it made the pig any better than the way it ran from when it came out of the factory. AC and PS would have been nice.

Everyone has there own vision of what they want to do for fun. For me I've done things (as a kid) with a stock FJ55 that I wouldn't even think of trying today. Yet there are some of us that want to go faster, go over larger rocks or cross deeper rivers than we did the day before. Today I love the 1977 pig for the way it was originally conceived with a few added minor luxuries without modifying it in a way that they cannot be simply removed.

What ever vision you have for this georgious creature, in this forum you will find support and appreciation which ever way you choose.

For quite a few years now I also have been around very rare cars and been involved in restoring some of them. My philosophy is that if a car is reasonably intact with its original components it seems ashamed to turn it into something it never was. But if the amount of work it takes to bring it to life is so extensive then what the hell, give it a whole new life with a new identity, yahoo. A new pig will be born, amen.

PS: hank tank, I to am researching the best EPS to try without causing irreversible changes to piggy. Ant thoughts

However, for every one of those trucks, there's probably 1,000+ that end up bastardized. Your neighbor has probably witnessed this in the 911 world (ie. Singer & Urban Outlaws).
while I agree with most of this post and the rest of the thread I will disagree with this quote. Singer is to Porsche what Icon is to LandCruisers. Singers are completely redesigned and rebuilt and the prices they fetch reflect that. It all comes down to how good the work is. A singer will demand more than a stock Porsche because it is more than a stock Porsche. Just like and Icon will demand more than a stock Landcruiser. I would never pay that much for a Landcruiser or a Porsche but that does not mean that someone else won't! I guarantee that if you build a fj55 like singer builds Porsche or icon builds Fj40's then you could sell it for more than any stock fj55 (to the right person).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom