Modifications to Fan Shroud? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone cut or clearanced their fan shroud to be removed without draining any fluids? I've determined the majority of my too hot issues are air flow related, and cleaning the mud out from behind the shroud will help this situation dramatically. Seems the circle directly adjacent to the fan gets plenty of airflow to keep the radiator and condenser fairly clean, but the areas covered by the shroud are gross....full of awesome stories and cool stuck pics, but gross..

Honestly, I wouldn't cut it. I'd drain the radiator and remove the radiator for cleaning. Then apply foam tape to the radiator/shroud mating surface before reinstalling.

I'm trying to find a way to make cleaning the outside of the radiator a regular maintenance interval. Draining the coolant everytime I take the truck offroad isn't an option.

Removing only the top hose won't drain that much coolant. I agree with maintaining the integrity of the shroud. It's flimsy as it is.

I agree with Baldilocks my second bolt mount broke last week, a couple of good strong cable ties to the rescue to keep it locked to the rad. The most annoying thing are the trans fluid brass necks that stop you pulling the shroud out separately. No wonder people want to cut it

Search here. Some have split the shroud and made a make shift connector to tie back together. That being said, I haven't ran shroud in 5yrs and never had an issue. (Yes I will get s*** for saying that, but truck cools just fine)

Search here. Some have split the shroud and made a make shift connector to tie back together. That being said, I haven't ran shroud in 5yrs and never had an issue. (Yes I will get s*** for saying that, but truck cools just fine)
Not everyone lives in Oregon. Some people actually get seasons lol.

So 100* last week and 10* last feb don't count?
Seasonal extremes aren't every day driving and our weather tends to be pretty mild compared to most of the country, granted S. Oregon seems to be a little different than the rest of Oregon.

I would not cut the shroud unless you can fab something up to put the strength back in, perhaps by some form of bracing.

I run with an all electric cooling fan, and can lift the fan complete with shroud in around 3 minutes, makes for very easy hosing out.

Regards

Dave

I'm going to cut mine in to two pieces with a two pieces of perforated flat bar holding the two side together. I lock nut/bolt running through the bottom of the shroud and both pieces of flat bar so it can somewhat swivel yet be locked down. The top bolt is going to be tacked to the flat bar with threads sticking out and a wing nut to loosen it.

Heh heh.... Alaska sees even more gentle temps than Oregon. I very well might be running sans shroud soon..... :steer:

Maybe find another shroud that has some top end damage and then cut the bottom out where the fan hole is...cut it longer and then take your shroud and cut it just the width of the hole. Then go get some body panel plugs...the plastic expansion plugs that pop in a hole and have a push in center that locks them in place. Use a few of those with the long bottom piece to make a removable bottom section. Since most other manufacturers already do something similar with a factory removable bottom section I don't see the any harm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom