Events/Trails moab pre-funk run 2018 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Happy new year guys!

Updated 1-11-18 this info below is the "who is in and who is a maybe" based on the chatter on this thread. If you have a different response just update me, post or PM, when you know and I'll make the changes to reflect the responses. OK thanks - looks as though this will be a good and fun group with many having experience in this area before which will be key to a good time for all.

Going:
@Atwalz
@steenh
@schob24
@Hanzo
@kreiten
@indycole
@Markuson
@dc916cruiser
@Willy beamin
@TexAZ

Maybe:
@TonyP
@TRD Burglar
@RockdogAdventures
@9780LC
@steve578
@ckkone
@Canyonero

@MilkmanVX

****Once we have a core group dialed in I am down for Hole in the Rock, Kokopelli, Rimrocker or Hurrah pass to the needles. It will be warm for this time of the year but we have gear for this and coolers, so stay realistic and positive on your thinking and planning.****

Moab dates are July 22-25, 2018 - hit the trail on the morning of the 22nd.

I'm looking at three possibilities for this trip. Rimrocker trail (160 miler +/- 2 days) or Kokopelli trail (140 +/- miler 2 days) and a day just messing around on the rocks in Moab. We can work on the details of the Moab trails to run the night before (23rd) as we converse over beverages and local grub. I don't know how taxing the Kokopelli or Rimrocker is on a person and how much energy one might exert traveling either trail system. Last year (2016) I was zapped by noon, most days, due to altitude sickness and wasn't plagued by it the prior year so go figure.

***I'm not trying to beat my truck up and I have a 1600 mile drive home*** If you do have something to prove I'm positive we can get it on video for you.

From what I've read the two trails listed above offer more landscape variables to escape some of the heat. Both trails look fun with beautiful scenery and I've personally been wanting to run these for over two years now. I'm excited to run either. As far as I can tell these two options are usually traveled east to west. Not so great for the west coasters but it is what it is, enjoy the drive in your cushy truck.

In a perfect world we attack both trails and play on the rocks in Moab but that'd be a trip in its own and more days than I've been given permission for. Either which way I plan on leaving Moab for Telluride on the night of the 24th or the morning of the 25th to meet up with our friends, old and new.

Rimrocker trail map - Story Map Journal

Kokopelli trail map - go to alltrails.com and check it out

This is a different take on the Moab Pre-funk for this year. Driving for two days, covering half the trail each day and one night camping will be an awesome experience, I think. Plus this lends the opportunity for some downtime around a campfire and showing off some camp cooking skills! I for one am interested in what delicious meals can be made on the trail and with what gear or tools are used. Never hurts to sample some far away or local to you beverages either.

If this doesn't excite you that's ok too. Your time is just that so you might as well do something you'll enjoy. @kreiten shine that lens up brother because we are going to travel through some beautiful landscapes.

I'll post more details as this evolves. Just wanted to get the dates out there.

Please understand if you elect to go you are responsible for yourself and your property. I will not accept any responsibility for others, actions or property.
Take care!

Last edited:
I am in.

Definitely in

I'm a maybe, and I do love the idea of a more scenic expedition-style cruise this time around. I've had my fill of beating the snot out of my 200 - I know the "Hell and Back" crew probably feels the same.

I did Kokopelli from Rabbit Valley into Moab about 6 years ago, and it was an epic experience. Incredibly scenic, beautiful country. I was "along for the ride" with a group of FJ Cruiser friends and I do remember the route being a bit confusing and complicated at times. I think there are enough maps (and very organized and smart people) in the 200 group to make trail-finding less of an issue. Plus, @TonyP and I will use any excuse for aerial navigation.

I hope I can make it, it will be nice to see you again @Willy beamin - your absence was noted this year!

I'm in and have been itching to do Kokopelli for a couple years. The route includes Rose Garden hill which apparently has some some pretty difficult sections and wouldn't be suitable for stock vehicles unless there are alt paths.

@indycole - from what I understand, Rose Garden Hill has gotten progressively worse since my last visit 6 years ago. Even then, we had a couple fairly built FJ’s get stuck and winches were used.

I do believe it can be skipped entirely, which would probably be wise.

That section of trail along with Top of the World would likely be the toughest parts.

If those boulders are loose, it'll be sketchy with a 7500# rig on them.

But we can't be shown up by a luxobarge RR.

Justin-Dowey-Rose-garden-Hill-831x560.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

@indycole - from what I understand, Rose Garden Hill has gotten progressively worse since my last visit 6 years ago. Even then, we had a couple fairly built FJ’s get stuck and winches were used.

I do believe it can be skipped entirely, which would probably be wise.

That section of trail along with Top of the World would likely be the toughest parts.

That last stretch of ToW certainly gets annoying! Last summer I rode the last little bit with @TexAZ as I was nauseous from gas fumes and also thought I had a suspension problem due to some very loud knocking. I didn't find out until after Breck that my stock bottle jack had wriggled loose (probably from a hard hit I took on Hell's Revenge) and was rocking back and forth in its cubby.

We also did Onion Creek last year which intersected with Kokopelli at the point where the trail heads to the La Sal mountains.

If we don't have enough time for Kokopelli you can also make a good 1 or 2 night trip out of Lockhart Basin/Canyon. I wrote up some details on that route here -- Favorite Tracks: Moab — Hurrah Pass to The Needles. Personally, I'd still prefer to do something new.

Another idea if the Kokopelli does not work out would be a full tour of the Needles district exiting out Bobby's hole (lol) and Beef Basin. There are some good places to camp back there on BLM land once you exit the needles district. There's a great trip report of this on the Expedition Portal.

I don't think Elephant hill or Bobby's hole would be too punishing on the vehicles. Recent reports are that Bobby's hole has been grated almost smooth. I've been researching this route and it looks amazing. Below is the route I hope to take one day.

Oh, I am also hoping to join everyone in Moab and Telluride.

6A327670-0B23-4089-A661-F881CB72082D.png

Last edited:
Moab dates are July 22-25, 2018 - hit the trail on the morning of the 22nd.

I'm looking at three possibilities for this trip. Rimrocker trail (160 miler +/- 2 days) or Kokopelli trail (140 +/- miler 2 days) and a day just messing around on the rocks in Moab. We can work on the details of the Moab trails to run the night before (23rd) as we converse over beverages and local grub. I don't know how taxing the Kokopelli or Rimrocker is on a person and how much energy one might exert traveling either trail system. Last year (2016) I was zapped by noon, most days, due to altitude sickness and wasn't plagued by it the prior year so go figure.

***I'm not trying to beat my truck up and I have a 1600 mile drive home*** If you do have something to prove I'm positive we can get it on video for you.

From what I've read, the two trails listed above, offer more landscape variables to escape some of the heat. Both trails look fun with beautiful scenery and I've personally been wanting to run these for over two years now. I'm excited to run either. As far as I can tell these two options are usually traveled east to west. Not so great for the west coasters but it is what it is, enjoy the drive in cushy truck.

In a perfect world we attack both trails and play on the rocks in Moab but that'd be a trip in its own and more days than I've been given permission for. Either which way I plan on leaving Moab for Telluride on the night of the 24th or the morning of the 25th to meet up with our friends, old and new.

Rimrocker trail map - Story Map Journal

Kokopelli trail map - go to alltrails.com and check it out

This is a different take on the Moab Pre-funk for this year. Driving for two days, covering half the trail each day and one night camping will be an awesome experience, I think. Plus this lends the opportunity for some downtime around a campfire and showing off some camp cooking skills! I for one am interested in what delicious meals can be made on the trail and with what gear or tools are used. Never hurts to sample some far away or local to you beverages either.

If this doesn't excite you that's ok too. Your time is just that so you might as well do something you'll enjoy. @kreiten shine that lens up brother because we are going to travel through some beautiful landscapes.

I'll post more details as this evolves. Just wanted to get the dates out there.

Please understand if you elect to go you are responsible for yourself and your property. I will not accept any responsibility for others, actions or property.
Take care!

---------

I have a good book on the Kokopelli trail and can help you plan the route and campsite/s if this is the trail you choose and if you want any help.

Bart

I'm good with a long trip that includes some camping along the way. I'll throw out Hole In The Rock Trail as another option. If you haven't been on it, it's my favorite trail by far. Great scenery, challenging trail but nothing we couldn't get through and minimal risk of damage, and great camping spots. It can be done in two nights. The trailhead is in the middle of nowhere, so camp at Mexican Hat the night before, hit the trail around 10-11, camp the first night halfway in. Second night at the end where there is a great hike down the the actual "Hole in the rock" and then out the next day and on pavement around 4:00 in the afternoon.

Just a thought... but again, open to whatever the group is interested in.

This is a video I took from last year.

I would love to be a part of this! I’m a little hesitant since this would be my first attempt on a trail and my boys are 8 and 11. I would also be driving from Houston.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom