Moab in a stock 79? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would say I would install a beefy skid plate b4 power steering. The factory one is ok if u bottom out in the mud or dirt. But it bends easily when it meets solid rock. Having a aluminum tcase makes this a important consideration. There are a couple of companies that make nice beefy ones. Rock sliders are important if u do harder trails like rusty nail above. Remove that rear step before the trip. The bumperettes will likely be tweaked a bit but they make OK tow points but will bend them up. A Pintle hitch would look great and makes a excellent tow point.

So I've been accumulating parts and I the list of mods have grown quite a bit. When my buddy saw that I was running Selectro locking hubs he said there's no way in hades he'd take those on the trail to Moab. Supposedly they're nicknamed "Ejectro" and have a tendency to launch off at inopportune times during wheeling. So I've ordered a pair of Aisin hubs here: Amazon.com: Aisin FHT-013 Free Wheel Hub: Automotive

I got my Aussie locker in the mail yesterday and I've watched some videos and read here on mud how to get it installed. It seems pretty dang straight forward, but I guess we'll see.

I finally figured out the right Sag steering gear to get. I bought this one first Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance before researching enough to know that the 27-6537 has the smaller piston. So I returned that one and bought the beefier 27-6529 here Amazon.com: Cardone 27-6529 Remanufactured Power Steering Gear: Automotive . Luckily it was a 4 1/4 turn box plus has the bigger piston!

I bought the bracket and pulley from Georg. Just as a FYI you have to buy a KEYED Sag pump, the P series I think it's called. I found mine at Napa. I got the steering kit from Cruiser Outfitters and am goiong to replace all my rods and ends while doing the conversion.

So the latest mod I've been pondering is doing the rear disc conversion. My drums still pull to the passenger side and lock up going over 25 mph even after tinkering with them a bit. It's not very expensive and I have to pull the axles out anyway to install the Aussie locker. Plus I bought a prop valve from Cityracer65 a couple months ago, so I need to install that anyways. Is it too much to do a rear disc/prop valve and aussie install on a Saturday for a noob?

Get some sort of rocker protection under your steps.

I do not know if anyone makes these commercially, but this is the design that would work the best at keeping your stock good looks intact..

Step%20Hugger%20FJ40%20Rock%20Slider%20white%20knuckle%20off%20road%20(1).jpg

If you look at his step you'll understand why I think the sliders are important..
img_1161_zps2f9b8cae-jpg.1408785

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom