Moab/Canyonlands trip for June (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Dates: Saturday May 31 through Saturday June 7, 2008

Here is the first part of the trip that I wanted to make a part of this trip.

This is the link: https://forum.ih8mud.com/nv-battle-...trip-report-lockhart-beef-basin-trail-ut.html

It looks like it was roughly 3 to 3 1/2 days for the first leg. So if we got to the trailhead [Blanding, UT] on Saturday night, start on Sunday we should get to Moab no later than Wednesday, maybe even Tuesday night. So figure Wednesday, Thursday and Friday for wheeling in Moab and head home on Saturday.

I figured that we would try and make it back to Reno on that Saturday so that people have Sunday for clean up and recuperating.

This is just the preliminary stuff, we can/will work out the final details of where and when.

Jack

Last edited:
Just playing around with Yahoo Maps a bit.

Reno to Blanding via I-80 (SLC) :
Distance: 826.04 miles Time: 12 hrs 9 mins

Reno to Blanding via Hwy50 (Ely):
Distance: 777.26 miles Time: 12 hrs 35 mins

Reno to Blanding via Hwy95 (Las Vegas):
Distance: 984.71 miles Time: 15 hrs 12 mins

Kind of puts the drive into perspective doesn't it?

Ok a little update for everyone. I spoke with Ali today and he thought it might be too much for too little time. Basically, there is so much to see, that he suggested that maybe we do the lower part (offroad through the N.P. areas) or Moab, but not both.

So I was thinking maybe we make Moab a base camp, that way everyone could decide which vehicle they wanted to take and tow if neccesary. We could choose a campground and do the trails and National Parks that are close.

Get the rigs to Moab and choose a day to do Canyonlands, another day doing Arches and so on.

If that works for everyone, then we can plan accordingly and just do a campground reservation for those that want to camp and the ones that want to hotel/motel can make their reservation.

Jack

Don't want to hijack this thread, so if anyone wants to respond to me with a PM …

I'd love to go on this awesome adventure, but I'm saving up for the FJ Cruiser Summit in July at Ouray, Colo. Got the same problem the rest of us do, work gets in the way of fun.

Although the trails at Ouray are far less challenging from what I hear, I might have some time to pass through Moab on the way back. Really don't expect to wheel, but if there are just some super scenic spots I should check out, please let me know. I'm taking the camera with me.

Perhaps I can budget for a Moab wheeling trip in 2009. It's on my list of places to see.

I'd love to go on a trip like this, but that is the week of my highschool graduation. darn.

Kind of puts the drive into perspective doesn't it?

Ok a little update for everyone. I spoke with Ali today and he thought it might be too much for too little time. Basically, there is so much to see, that he suggested that maybe we do the lower part (offroad through the N.P. areas) or Moab, but not both.

So I was thinking maybe we make Moab a base camp, that way everyone could decide which vehicle they wanted to take and tow if neccesary. We could choose a campground and do the trails and National Parks that are close.

Get the rigs to Moab and choose a day to do Canyonlands, another day doing Arches and so on.

If that works for everyone, then we can plan accordingly and just do a campground reservation for those that want to camp and the ones that want to hotel/motel can make their reservation.

Jack
Sounds good to me. The two northern routes in my post both go through Moab, so that gives you an idea of driving times. Blanding is about 50 miles or so south of Moab.

I would suggest we meet in Moab rather than try to caravan down.
Then everybody can set their own pace/schedule.

:hmm: I wonder how much it would cost to ship the 40 down there and back? It sure would be nice to have it to play with on the Sandstone.

Don't want to hijack this thread, so if anyone wants to respond to me with a PM …

I'd love to go on this awesome adventure, but I'm saving up for the FJ Cruiser Summit in July at Ouray, Colo. Got the same problem the rest of us do, work gets in the way of fun.

Although the trails at Ouray are far less challenging from what I hear, I might have some time to pass through Moab on the way back. Really don't expect to wheel, but if there are just some super scenic spots I should check out, please let me know. I'm taking the camera with me.

Perhaps I can budget for a Moab wheeling trip in 2009. It's on my list of places to see.

Actually it ties into the thread pretty well.

Out of Moab you can go to Arches NP which has some of the most photographed scenery in the world.

Sounds good to me. The two northern routes in my post both go through Moab, so that gives you an idea of driving times. Blanding is about 50 miles or so south of Moab.

I would suggest we meet in Moab rather than try to caravan down.
Then everybody can set their own pace/schedule.

:hmm: I wonder how much it would cost to ship the 40 down there and back? It sure would be nice to have it to play with on the Sandstone.

I am thinking that might be the better way. Moab is very doable in a day, even when towing. I agree on the meeting in Moab, we have caravaned in the past and it can be rough getting everyone moving at the same time and same pace.

In fact, I will probably load up the cabover, hook up the trailer and put the 80 on the trailer. The sad thing is that with my truck, cabover and trailer, I will get about the same fuel mileage as just driving the 80 there.

Sounds like you need a tow bar on the front of the 40, tow with the 100 and pick the vehicle for the job when you get there.:steer:

Seriously, is that an option? I know you wouldn't be fast, but it is an option to think about.

Jack

Last edited:
Sounds like you need a tow bar on the front of the 40, tow with the 100 and pick the vehicle for the job when you get there.:steer:

Seriously, is that an option? I know you wouldn't be fast, but it is an option to think about.

Jack
Probably more like wishful thinking than an option.
I don't know much about flat towing.

Jack

Actually, that is a viable option. Troutrunner towed his buddy's CJ7 on 35" all the way to Moab from ABQ. He stated that it wasn't bad at all and the CJ tracked very nicely. The LX450 lost power on some of the steeper climbs but no scary times.

FYI.

Well since the consensous seems to be to make Moab the base camp and do our exploring/wheeling from there I figured that I would post the campground that we have stayed at in the past and will stay for this trip.

Here is the link. Moab Utah | Slickrock Campground | RV Tents Cabins

They have cabins with A/C, tent spots and RV spots, so it should be able to accomadate everyone. They also have a lot next to them to park your trailer (at least they used to).

Just so everyone knows, Moab has resturants, micro-brewery's (higher alcohol content), a grocery store, 4wd shops, hotels/motels, auto parts, etc. The reason I listed that is the first time we went we packed everything including the kitchen sink. So if you are driving a vehicle that not everything will fit, you don't necessarily have to haul it.

Hope everyone can make it.

Jack

So Saturday is a travel day. We meet <someplace> in Moab on Sunday Morning for the first day on the trails?

Are we going to try to have a rough schedule of which trails we will be doing on which days? I know we have two more meetings to work out the details but it wouldn't hurt to start thinking about stuff.

Right now I have the following committed to this trip;
Jack
Rusty
Shawn

I'll update the list as we get people on board. Please post up if you are interested in going, and how sure you are you will make it, ie "I'm in" or "I'm a maybe".

Right now we have a wide range of rigs from my mostly stock 100 to Shawn's built 40, with Jack's 80 somewhere in between. While the Jack could probably hang in with Shawn my 100 wont. I can't imagine Shawn driving the 40 all the way there and not doing some of the tougher trail so at least part of the time we will be split into two groups. Plenty of opportunity for every level of rig and driver to have fun.

If the slickrock campground's cotton wood floating around gets to be too much, try the Canyonlands campground too. It's more central to everything in Moab and has the usual Rv and tent sites amenities. Lots of wireless signals floating around too!

I'm afraid we won't be able to meet up with you folks dude to a consulting gig starting in April. Now if I get fired from the project, then maybe you'll see us!

Have a great time.

So Saturday is a travel day. We meet <someplace> in Moab on Sunday Morning for the first day on the trails?

Are we going to try to have a rough schedule of which trails we will be doing on which days? I know we have two more meetings to work out the details but it wouldn't hurt to start thinking about stuff.

Right now I have the following committed to this trip;
Jack
Rusty
Shawn

I'll update the list as we get people on board. Please post up if you are interested in going, and how sure you are you will make it, ie "I'm in" or "I'm a maybe".

Right now we have a wide range of rigs from my mostly stock 100 to Shawn's built 40, with Jack's 80 somewhere in between. While the Jack could probably hang in with Shawn my 100 wont. I can't imagine Shawn driving the 40 all the way there and not doing some of the tougher trail so at least part of the time we will be split into two groups. Plenty of opportunity for every level of rig and driver to have fun.

We will definitely have to plan out what we want to do. Maybe once we have an idea which rigs, besides the three listed above, are going, we will have a better idea which trails to run.

My reservation at Slickrock has been made.:clap:

I can't wait, Moab is a blast.

Jack

Can't make this one. Big weekend for the wife, there's no way we can escape this one.

Have fun and take lots of pics for us.

Can't make this one. Big weekend for the wife, there's no way we can escape this one.

Have fun and take lots of pics for us.

That sucks. We'll see you on the next one.

Jack

So is the head count only 3 so far? Come on guys, it's better to see a place once than hear about it thousand times.

Shawn

I'd go but we've got plans for Arizona/Utah/Colorado at the end of June and first week of July...too many good runs...not enough money and vacation time to cover them all :frown:.