Moab 2017 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2017 BUMP!!!!!!! Now that the holidays and fall runs are out of the way it's time to start getting serious. It'd be so much better if we could just get the dates nailed down BEFORE GSMTR this go around, Summer, Fall whichever.

I gots work to do to my rig before this trip assuming we're going and I'd rather not wait until June to start this go around.

I was not able to generate enough interest in the June/July dates, Jason,Hunter and Andy are out for this year, so I am in for the Sept/Oct. dates. We need to get some moderate trucks to commit cause I have no interest in at least 1/2 of the trails you and Steve want to run.

(** I'm in the moderate trail group** as I have a tank FJ60)
I'm fairly confident I can do anything in OCT. I'll also commit to staying the entire time as I've found a medication (legal) that helps me sleep. As noted (for me) any times in Sept are problematic due to my work schedule. I would attempt to request leave in Sept but historically thats nearly impossible to gain approval given the nature of my work.

I would like to come to an agreement on times-dates for planning. As I understand the "future" I have no problem committing to times-dates in OCT. I too have a number of things to do on my truck that I need to wrap up. For me the only real issue is the month of SEPT. But as I'm sure like others, I need to get my request in so I can have the vacation approved and locked in.

If we can do times in OCT that works great for me, I understand that may not work for others.

As noted previously I will provide my own transportation (to and from).

The dates will be the first two weeks in October since you guys cannot do September. I will just have to call Grandpa and move my dates back by one week.

I don't know if I'll have a rig worthy of long, meduim-level trails at the time of this trip, but I am very interested in hitting less-than-hardcore trails this time around. I'm hoping the Gecko will be getting some mods to make it slightly more streetable before Moab. Even if not, I may bring my white truck again but have it ready for mild wheeling, or if I still have my 60 I'll bring that.

I was not able to generate enough interest in the June/July dates, Jason,Hunter and Andy are out for this year, so I am in for the Sept/Oct. dates. We need to get some moderate trucks to commit cause I have no interest in at least 1/2 of the trails you and Steve want to run.

Gawd Dang I think I just felt it move!!!! I'm really sorry to hear that Roger. :cry:

Running moderate trails at time is not an issue. I lost 5 days to shop time last trip and don't care to repeat. We spoke of an over-nighter last go around and still sounds like fun.

Between the Ga and TN thread there's been a fair # of "moderate" guys expressing what I would consider serious interest. Time to wake the up the crowd...

(** I'm in the moderate trail group** as I have a tank FJ60)

Heyyo! Little late to the party I guess. Lol

My first Moab trip was from late September-Early October of 2015. Let me start of by saying, the weather is damn-near perfect. The daytime climate is great and the nights are absolutely perfect. The stars are purely addicting. I spent 3-4 hours a night laying on the 80's roof staring up at them. If you haven't spent much time out west, they will blow your mind.

I have not been in June/July/August, however a few of the Techs I worked with in Golden, CO were big wheelers. One guy in specific was obsessed with Moab, and made trips 4 + times a year for over 20 years. He "practically raised his kids in Moab". Given, a 5 hour drive versus 25+ makes a huge difference in how choosy you are about dates to visit, even if it is heaven on earth. - Point of sharing this: He told me if I ever planned a Moab trip after mid June, or before late September; to expect to be miserable.

I spent a week in Moab at the end of March this year. Climate was decent. The days were cooler, and a few of the nights got uncomfortably cold/windy at points. Otherwise, another solid time to visit. Still wasn't as ideal as my late Sep/early Oct. trip. The stars were awesome, but only about half as visible, and trails were pretty crowded at points.

Oct is a good time for me.

Sidenote: Ted, I'm in. I told you this! Haha. I don't care if I have to push the 80 or buy another one, I won't miss it for the world. My Graduation from CU is in May. I'm taking the 80 back to Colorado and spending a week or two wheeling/camping with the parents after. Then headed Toward Alaska and taking my sweet-ass time. Won't be back until I'm near flat-broke or tired of sleeping in my truck....

Last edited:
A couple more

I'm planning for this trip. Count me in.

I'd posted on the first page I'm committed to this voyage, reckon it got whacked! but just to be sure
I'MMMMMM INNNNNNN. Unless an unforseen market crash or ELE Meteor strike deviates the timing of this excursion
my happy ass is planning on being in Utah in October 2017! "SO LET IT BE SAID SO LET IT BE WRITTEN"
:beer:

Count me in as well. Not sure what ill be bringing....

I'm in! Even planned my school year around the trip!

I am going count me in!!!

I say we spark up the GA thread from here on out rather than trying to gather info from both.

BTW, I have a J**p buddy that will be stationed in Dallas and is serious about making it. His rig is a 4-door JK locked/locked on 37's and is good for all levels. If I don't have a good rig for medium stuff, and he actually makes it out, I will ride the medium stuff with him probably (if he doesn't bring any of the rest of the family).

you piss her off that bad steve? :flipoff2:
Well I did tell her to buy a truck that ended up leaving her stranded on the Rubicon and then she immediately moved half way across the country.
Sooooooo........ :/

I see Roger's note above and others..., I know the transportation factor needs to be locked in as well, since for some the trailer is the hub of the universe. If we can cross this hurdle on moving forward, then I would propose that in the near term (once transportation issues are firm/dates are firm) we try to agree to an agenda on what we plan to do on the ground while on site and obviously agree when to show up and be prepared to "execute". If there needs to be a moderate group and a more hard core group for planning purposes on the ground....thats fine but I think we would help ourselves to make the most of things while there by doing some planning. I for one have only been there one time and have very limited knowledge of the ground etc. But a number of folks have been there previously and I'm sure we could seek input from others like woody / Grandpa...etc.

If someone did not want do what the group plan was...then they could do as they wish, but would be good to know in advance to the extent possible. I don't have any input into the agenda because I'm not well enough familiar with the location and trails, I'll follow the moderate group and support whats workable. I would offer that we should agree to get off our A$$ in the morning and get on with doing whatever we plan so we can see and do what is reasonable and allowing for the usual unknowns on breakdowns / navigation...whatevers.

Anyway not trying to push things too far. Seems like dates locked in and transportation issues need to be locked in, then next steps can be taken..(my view)

Just thinking out loud...not trying to push my view on others FYI.

Sounds like progress in motion.

Last edited:
The dates are 90% locked. Months ago I locked in the Sept/Oct dates, so I doubt moving that by only a week will pose an issue. I will try to remember to call and reschedule with Grandpa in the next few days.

I think pre-scheduling is a great idea except for one major flaw: any major breakage or severe weather will cause a reworking of the schedule anyway. At least for now, this early in the game, I feel we should just do like I did last time and simply gather a list of wants for each group and maybe put a priority on them.

How about everyone start throwing out their wants and Ted can list them all on the 1st post (in the other thread) and prioritize them as time goes by?

The dates are 90% locked. Months ago I locked in the Sept/Oct dates, so I doubt moving that by only a week will pose an issue. I will try to remember to call and reschedule with Grandpa in the next few days.

I think pre-scheduling is a great idea except for one major flaw: any major breakage or severe weather will cause a reworking of the schedule anyway. At least for now, this early in the game, I feel we should just do like I did last time and simply gather a list of wants for each group and maybe put a priority on them.

How about everyone start throwing out their wants and Ted can list them all on the 1st post (in the other thread) and prioritize them as time goes by?

I hear you on that...would suggest a moderate group want if such thing could be characteriizeds.... many like me could not tell you which trails are moderate or hard core by name. My want would be what a 60 could reasonably handle and have some fun along the way, And of course I think was noted there was some discussion about doing some type of multi-day camping on the trail type run. May need to note what is a moderate trail and I know some of that is subjective, but for sure some of the trails ovbisouly are hard core and not 60 friendly. Even if we loaded up and or had to drive a ways to another trail head or whatever...thats a non issue to me.

I don think we have at least 4-5 potentials that are in the moderate group... may need to get a roll-call of who is in and what is your interest (moderate or hard-core) and I'm using the terms subjectively...moderate woudld 60 friendly..... hard core would be buggy friendly and or mini-truck/trail rig friendly (in my mind), may need to expand on what is what.

So we have 2 threads going, one here and one in Ga section. Which one do you guys want to use and let's abandon the other cuz there's no sense in both.

EDIT: Steve has a good point. I can edit the 1st post in the Ga thread, I can not the TN thread.

Once decided we'll start building out the details.

- I'd love to know official dates as soon as possible too. This is a trip I will not miss out on, and the more time to prepare the better. I'm flexible to any dates, and the sooner I know, the better.

- I'm tailoring my rig to best suit this trip. I'm personally interested in the more difficult trails, but I will have open seats for anyone who's rig is less suited for the moderate trails/over night trips or street travel.

- I'm planning to bring a tow rig, and 3-car wedge and wouldn't mind moving less streetable rigs to and from the farther trails. I will go into further detail on this in the GA thread. My vote is for moving further discussion to the original GA Cruisers thread as well.

- I'd love to know official dates as soon as possible too. This is a trip I will not miss out on, and the more time to prepare the better. I'm flexible to any dates, and the sooner I know, the better.

- I'm tailoring my rig to best suit this trip. I'm personally interested in the more difficult trails, but I will have open seats for anyone who's rig is less suited for the moderate trails/over night trips or street travel.

- I'm planning to bring a tow rig, and 3-car wedge and wouldn't mind moving less streetable rigs to and from the farther trails. I will go into further detail on this in the GA thread. My vote is for moving further discussion to the original GA Cruisers thread as well.

In order to eliminate the confusion we're going to abandon this thread and move it back to the Ga Section from here on. that said the dates are looking to be the 1st 2 weeks in October.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom