Moab 2017 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh boy can't wait to see how this turns out.
Are you a possible attendee? If so, post up your thoughts on dates and travel plans.

Are you a possible attendee? If so, post up your thoughts on dates and travel plans.

He's being the peanut gallery.:flush:

why don't we all just quit our jobs in October and worry about it when we get back. Hilliary's gonna take care of us all anyway, right? I read that in Wikileaks

Ok you asked for it.

Here's my 2 cents.

You ready

Here I go

My wife and I will be

Ready

You sure

Ok

We will be

Ok it's starting to annoy you now

Huh

Ok

We will be in Alaska.

You'll be in Alaska in June, July, September AND October!!???? Wow, that's a hell of a vacation.

So you can still go with the early group if they decide to go in June/July.

I would love to go, as it is on the bucket list for anyone on this forum... Work schedules are way too tight for me to take 13 days off. However, if there is a group doing a "shorter" leg of this trek, I may be in. It's a bit to early to say for sure. If I did a shorter leg, I would drive my 80 out, but wish I could bring the 40... but really there is no sense in trying to queue for a spot on Roger's trailer since the 13 day crew need that spot.

Food for thought for sure, and I am stoked that you guys are going back out. The pics from last time were great!

Bump - No decisions made last weekend but at least a little clarity has been provided. It's as clear as mud now. :flipoff2:

One of the things we discussed was doing some expedition style rides and a few had concerns about rig capabilities. For you guys sitting on the fence worried that your 80 on 33s wont do this trip you are wrong. An FJ-80 on 33s-35s is the absolute perfect rig for Moab and since we're discussing a Kokopelli type side trip this would be a great chance to jump in.

Heyyo! Little late to the party I guess. Lol

My first Moab trip was from late September-Early October of 2015. Let me start of by saying, the weather is damn-near perfect. The daytime climate is great and the nights are absolutely perfect. The stars are purely addicting. I spent 3-4 hours a night laying on the 80's roof staring up at them. If you haven't spent much time out west, they will blow your mind.

I have not been in June/July/August, however a few of the Techs I worked with in Golden, CO were big wheelers. One guy in specific was obsessed with Moab, and made trips 4 + times a year for over 20 years. He "practically raised his kids in Moab". Given, a 5 hour drive versus 25+ makes a huge difference in how choosy you are about dates to visit, even if it is heaven on earth. - Point of sharing this: He told me if I ever planned a Moab trip after mid June, or before late September; to expect to be miserable.

I spent a week in Moab at the end of March this year. Climate was decent. The days were cooler, and a few of the nights got uncomfortably cold/windy at points. Otherwise, another solid time to visit. Still wasn't as ideal as my late Sep/early Oct. trip. The stars were awesome, but only about half as visible, and trails were pretty crowded at points.

Sidenote: Ted, I'm in. I told you this! Haha. I don't care if I have to push the 80 or buy another one, I won't miss it for the world. My Graduation from CU is in May. I'm taking the 80 back to Colorado and spending a week or two wheeling/camping with the parents after. Then headed Toward Alaska and taking my sweet-ass time. Won't be back until I'm near flat-broke or tired of sleeping in my truck. (Month?). As much as I love the idea of hitting Moab on the way back from 12,000 + mile trip, I'll probably be low on funds, in no mood to sweat my balls off for two weeks and a little weary of my rigs condition. If the date DOES get moved to June/July, I will figure out a way to be there.

To conclude: September/October dates FTW. Great climate, not too crowded, STARS... seriously, and access to a garage? Ted, I remember someone briefly filled me in on Grandpas, but I can't remember. Also, I was going to extend an invitation to a few Colorado guys (Rising Sun), and I feel like they are going to be more inclined to come for a few days in Sep/Oct versus summer. (They wouldn't mind staying somewhere other than Grandpas if the head count has to stay low.

Also: Ted made a great point. Those on 33's fear not! I didn't have any issues taking the hard-line on any trail I wheeled from both trips. The only issue with 33's was my tow-bar scraped at least 25+ obstacles. Even caused my LR spring to fall out on Hells-Revenge. If your on 33's just remove your sway-bars (If you still have them...), towing cross-member and you'll be fine. Sliders and on-board air are a must though.

nobody doubts the weather in Sept/Oct is ideal but logistically it doesn't work for everyone.

Just throwing this out there... How about late Oct /early November? That potentially could resolve almost everyone's issue.

I know it's been an unusually warm fall but it was 74*/52* out there for Halloween this year.

Last edited:
I can make any dates work. My preference is to avoid going during hot/crowded months. Oct/Nov sounds great too!

Cool, DP! Someone from middle TN needs to represent... I am likely going to have minimal time off this new year, hoping to make GSMTR at this point. Moab would rock! (no pun intended)

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom