Mississippi to Asheville NC. The LONG way. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This section runs parallel to the skyway to the north and where the skyway runs the ridge, the gravel roate dives deep into the canyon. It is superb.

image-X3.jpg

image-X3.jpg

Swan Cabin...another way way off the grid cabin you can rent. Super cool, it was about a 40 minute round trip off FS81 to see it.

image-1597x1252.jpg

image-1597x1252.jpg

Switchbacks and Trees......

image-X3.jpg

Stewart Cabin was located on a long stretch of river front that has 4-5 campsites on the river. Great stuff.

image-X3.jpg

Bridge shot....

image-1597x1252.jpg

The road dumps out on the Cherohala Parkway just west of Robbinsville NC. The Hub is a SUPERB eat spot. I recommend the Dragon Burger (See Where to Eat thread)

image-1597x1252.jpg

Thanks for sharing your adventures!

From here I have to make a decision. I want to get on the Blue Ridge Parkway early so I can stop a lot and really enjoy it before I get Red at the Airport at 1:30 on Thursday. It's 3:30....I can cut over to Cherokee and get in early or I can use the 5 hours of daylight to see some cool stuff....

I chose the latter and headed for the Tail of the Dragon.

The Fontana Lake Dam looms eerie after a storm

image-X3.jpg

The river formed a spooky fog. As I shot pictures on the bridge, groups of cars would pass coming south out of the Tail....lots of modified Miatas, a bunch of supercars and motocycles. Lots of bikes.

image-1597x1252.jpg

image-1597x1252.jpg

The south end of the The Tail of the Dragon US129 ..... 318 curves in 11 miles.

image-X3.jpg

I went to the site and there I was. Peeling out in the 4Runner. Amazingly, this vehicle really, really did well on the wet roads. I am 100% sold on the traction control The front inside tire would drag in wet corners and the rear would not break free as hard as I tried. The only time I heard it was when the fronts would hit the painted center line and it would slip a bit. Super fun. I am glad I got to do it on a non-crowded day. I got behind a group of motorcycles at the end and they were crawling. I felt sorry for them.

FullSizeRender%202.jpg

The end gives some beautiful views

image-X3.jpg

From the end of this road, I took the Smokey Mountain Parkway east to Gatlinburg for the night. People watching there is epic sport. The last few miles into the park were crowded but it was the first crowds I had encountered on the trip so I was OK with it.

IMG_0377-X3.png

Fatlinburg was uneventful. My hotel was on the park end of the strip. I parked, showered and slipped down the strip and people watched a while.

I was up early and hit the road to the Blue Ridge Parkway at dawn. I left the hotel about 6 am and made my way across the park on Highway 441 barely passing another vehicle. This is rare as this is a very crowded park, but the early bird gets the work for sure.

Sunrise was amazing. Smokey and it came and went before I could find a good photo spot but either way......

image-X3.jpg

image-X3.jpg

Mingus Mill opens at 9:30 but I was able to see everything I wanted without the people. This mill channels the water into a pipe, not a wheel. Very very very cool.

image-1597x1252.jpg

image-1597x1252.jpg

image-1597x1252.jpg

I've been to the Smokies many times but I have never gone past Clingman's Dome and out the south end to the Parkway and Cherokee NC.

The Newfound Gap entrance to the park is magnificent. They have rebuilt a village of buildings from the 1800's and the field abreast the farm is packed with turkey and elk.

image.jpg

image-X3.jpg

image-1597x1252.jpg

image-X3.jpg

I wandered around the farm from 8 am to 9 am then hit the parkway. It was only 80 miles to Asheville but they recommend 3 hours to travel it.

image-X3.jpg

Me and some bikes and about 5 cars were all I saw for the first 20 miles.

image-1597x1252.jpg

image-X3.jpg

This road was started 80 years ago. There is NO WAY the environmentalists would allow such a magnificent road in the wilderness in 2016 but I thank God they were not able to block this then. I is a work of art and one of the greatests drives in America. Hands down.

image-X3.jpg

image-1597x1252.jpg

I ended up making it to Asheville with time to spare. I stopped a lot and took a lot of pictures and took one mile long hike. It is only 1/2 mile each way but it is straight up. Its hard but the view from the top is epic.

image-X3.jpg

image-1597x1252.jpg

image-X3.jpg

image-X3.jpg

IMG_0378-X3.jpg

That's the trip. I spent about 14 hours going 290 miles from Ocoee to Asheville.

Normally that is a 160 miles and 3 hours.

I like my way better. If you are considering Overland East in October, take the time to do this route. It was unreal in July but I bet it is 2x better with fall leaves.

Haha.....that would be a first.

A bit about the vehicle I took on this adventure.

Its a 2016 4Runner TRD Pro. Bone stock.

In the past, we have always used Julie's company car's on these adventures. The trip up was in the Volvo but we got a message the week before I was to head back to get the kids that she hit the magic mileage number and her new car was on order.

I tossed the massive Thule box I got from Bomar on the factory crossbars and peeled out. Well, not exactly peeled out, but I took off for Asheville via Greenwood, Indianola, Greenville, Tupelo and Chattanooga.......only to start the adventure after all these stops.

Total mileage was 1890 miles. Average MPG with just me unloaded and on the way back FULLY packed was 18.1 mpg. Impressive. When on 4 lanes I rolled 8 over the speed limit and it took all the hills North Carolina threw at it and never lost speed. Those that say this truck is underpowered are adding bigger tires or trying to tow I guess because as it was, this trip got the full torture test and I am 100% sold and thrilled.

image-X3.jpg

Where I turned north at Ocoee lake to Reliance......just before the turn there is a FS road that will take you there in a round about way.

Next time.......

image.png

Oswald Rd

image.png

Next time you are in the Reliance area, and in the mood for a short vertical hike, check out Starr Mtn right on the Hiawasee. I did some excellent top-roping up there and the view is fantastic. Park along Spring Creek Rd, cross railroad tracks where you see a small pull-off on the north side of the road and pickup trailhead. Trail leads to a waterfall, bear right, then to the top of the rock outcropping. 35.225024, -84.530504
Google Maps
Starr Mtn.jpg

Last edited:
great part of the country...blue ridge parkway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom