Mississippi Day Trips and Cool Places - Official Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok you are nominated to do a promo vid with some crawl footage.

Cool!

I worked in the Delta today and took HWY 1 from Greenville to HWY 49 then over and up Hwy 61 to Memphis.

Just 6 miles north of Greenville at the Winterville Mounds. It is one of the largest Native American mound sites in the US. These things were constructed from 1000AD to around 1350AD

IMG_9484.JPG

It was hot, but not as hot as it has been so I checked out the museum and took a walk to the large mound. It has fallen into bad shape and you can't walk up the stairs anymore but the MS Legislature just earmarked 300K to get it up to speed and make it a better attraction. I am glad. It is too cool to just let grow up.

IMG_9490.JPG

I grabbed a couple of other cool shots as I headed north. Was a nice drive.

IMG_9492.jpg

IMG_9493.jpg

IMG_9498.jpg

That is amazing!

Nolen you need to put together a bullet list for less ambitious folk like myself so we can go see all this stuff...

I'm working with a web designer to get a travel page/blog going. Not sure how it is all going to end up but it will be called

See and Eat Mississippi

I have started the Instagram and Twitter but I am holding off on the Facebook until I get my website for than a base page and a logo designed.

It is amazing how many cool places are out there close.

www.seeandeatMS.com

I stopped at the Confederate Cemetery at Okolona today on the way to Tupelo for work. It is the largest Confederate cemetery in NE Mississippi.

There was a hospital there and wounded from all over came here and died. The number of unknown was unreal.

IMG_9777.JPG
IMG_9783.JPG

I'm in logo back-and-forth right now then i'm going to start on the webpage.

I have lots of people that are interested in my travel or my food spots but I don't really want them seeing all my family stuff.

I'm trying to figure it out

I'll be your staff printer when you need t-shirts!

Get tied in with ms tourism counsel and local towns with city public affairs. Youll spread like wildfire.

I took a drive down to Port Gibson area yesterday to investigate a possible Dr that is using drugs in my class to see if I could get him some information. I figured while I was on a wild goose chase I would make it a full on MS roadtrip by taking the 60.

60's are designed for trips like this. Speed limit of 50 on the Trace. Temperatures not too hot. Roads mostly straight.

Started off making my call and it was a flop so I pressed on to Lorman and had some fried chicken at Lorman General Store. (see Where to Eat thread)

After lunch I followed some faded signs to Rosswood Antebellum home about 3 miles east of the store. As luck would have it, the 85 year old lady that has lived there for the last 40 years was available to give the tour. It was pretty special. Cool house. Amazing, simply amazing that the thing was still in tact after all the years of neglect. The same person that built this house went to Windsor and built that palace 2 years later.

IMG_0003-XL.jpg

IMG_0009-X2.jpg

They say the owner saved the place during the war by making it a field hospital. They also say she buried her pre-war money in the garden and never dug it up. The items that have been found wile searching for the treasure over the years is displayed in the basement where the slaves lived prior to the war.

IMG_0007-X2.jpg

The 60 was quite photogenic yesterday

IMG_0012-X2.jpg

IMG_0021-X2.jpg

Here are the rest of the pics if interested

www.rockmidgetphotography.com/See-and-Eat-Mississippi/Rosswood-Plantation/i-5ZSk5hK

Nolen you really have the gift for stopping and smelling the roses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom