Missed shift while accelerating (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, the other day I was accelerating onto the freeway, going maybe 40-50mph (speedlimit is 65). Its a pretty short on ramp so im on the throttle, probably 3/4 of the way. All of a sudden the engine revv's up to to redline (cant remember how far it got, but not too far) so I lifted off and everything went back to normal. I initially thought the transmission downshifted, however i suspect it went to shift up a gear and got stuck in neutral temporarily. I have not had the issue since (though i don't drive it very often). It was probably 70F outside and the truck was cold; it was parked for most of the day and i had only been driving for maybe 10 minutes. Is this a common problem? The truck has 160k on the clock if i remember correctly. I have had the truck for a couple of years and have not replaced the ATF, though I did check it when i got the truck and it appeared fine at the time (level & color). I need to check the current level as i have not done that in a while.

So far im treating it as a one-off weird occurrence, should i be concerned?

aware yes.... concerned not really..... if it was a one off... stuff happens there are at least 4 things i can think of that might have caused it... check the fluid... and drive it more often.... I doubt it will happen again...

Someone once posted info about a feature that keeps the transmission from shifting up past 3rd gear (IIRC) when cold. Could be you were transitioning form cold to normal operating temp.

That said, I'm a big believer in full flush of transmission about every~15 to 20K.

Yeah, i think an ATF flush wouldnt be a bad idea. I have done all the other fluids except the ATF at this point so might as well.

Thanks!

The cheapest and easiest thing to do would be to definitely check the ATF level and replace the fluid. There's other likely culprits, but you won't know and won't be able to troubleshoot further unless the symptom becomes a regular occurrence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom