Mileage Observations from 3 rigs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There have been many discussions on here regarding mileage with larger tires gear changes, etc. During our trip to Moab starting near Sacramento, CA, two friends and I took made some mileage observations between our three different rigs.

Rig 1: 1997 LX450, naturally aspirated, stock gearing, 315 tires
Rig 2: 1993 LC, supercharged, stock gearing, 285 tires
Rig 3: 1997 LC, supercharged, 4.88 gearing, 315 tires

While we did not track exact mileage, the following was observed.

Rig 2 consistently used about 1 to 1.5 gallon more per fill up than Rig 1
Rig 3 consistently used about 2 to 3 gallons per fill up more than Rig 1

All rigs had front and rear bumpers, Rigs 2 & 3 had roof racks and winches.

13041322_999588860132466_7890272696177135065_o.jpg

Want to sell the 97 LX? Looks just like my last LX and I want it back. That would get me REAL close to my old LX.

Want to sell the 97 LX? Looks just like my last LX and I want it back. That would get me REAL close to my old LX.
I think my friend would get upset if I sold his LX.

Sounds about right from my experiences as well. My naturally aspirated '96 (OBD II) with stock gears and 37s will consistently get 13-15 mpg, and my naturally aspirated '94 (OBD I) with stock gears and 285s consistently gets 10-12. Yes, I adjust for tire size in my calculations. Also, FWIW, I live at ~4500ft elevation and always run regular gas (85 octane here in UT.)

I think my friend would get upset if I sold his LX.
Tell your friend I want it. Seriously.....see if there is a number that will get him to let go of it.

Tell your friend I want it. Seriously.....see if there is a number that will get him to let go of it.
I will let him know.

Sorry, he is not interested in selling.

So what you're saying is that rigs with roof racks, bigger tires, lower gearing and superchargers get lower fuel mileage on the highway? Fascinating!!

EDIT : :flipoff2:

Last edited:
So what you're saying is that rigs with roof racks, bigger tires, lower gearing and superchargers get lower fuel mileage on the highway? Fascinating!!
Yes, obviously that is what I am saying. Thank you for providing that most useful bit of extra clarity. Jackass.

Mileage questions are asked frequently, I provided a comparison between three vehicles with commonly done mods under identical driving conditions. Someone may find it useful.

If anyone is wondering what a fzj80 with 33's stock gearing, no roof rack, and a winch slee short bus bumper gets. I get 10.5-11.5 in town and 12.5-13 on the highway.
That's also with 300+lbs of tools, chains, and other things

Edited to show I was being humorous. It was a joke, chill dude.

How about some tech insight into how to make trucks get better mileage? Lets talk about lighter bumpers, packing less gear, etc.

Sorry, he is not interested in selling.
Oh well. Thanks for the quick responses and sorry about the questions that have nothing to do with the topic.

There have been many discussions on here regarding mileage with larger tires gear changes, etc. During our trip to Moab starting near Sacramento, CA, two friends and I took made some mileage observations between our three different rigs.

Rig 1: 1997 LX450, naturally aspirated, stock gearing, 315 tires
Rig 2: 1993 LC, supercharged, stock gearing, 285 tires
Rig 3: 1997 LC, supercharged, 4.88 gearing, 315 tires

While we did not track exact mileage, the following was observed.

Rig 2 consistently used about 1 to 1.5 gallon more per fill up than Rig 1
Rig 3 consistently used about 2 to 3 gallons per fill up more than Rig 1

All rigs had front and rear bumpers, Rigs 2 & 3 had roof racks and winches.

View attachment 1271977

Obviously it proves that having a green vehicle gets better MPG :bounce:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom