Events/Trails Memorial Weekend in the Lower Sequoias (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you get my name on the list from the prior posts? Me and my two kids.

Looks like @slickdealmike grabbed the last spot for the trip so we are going to be 8 rigs in 4 spots, but there's nothing like a cozy camping trip especially since we got the 4 spots right by the Tule River. So we have @Surfnoverland @Honky Tonka @landcruising @RET2, @Justin Zwick, @slickdealmike and 2 other (unfortunately not with Beach N Toys) committed to the Memorial Weekend Trip.
As we get closer (maybe first part of May) we can figure out what we want to do for meals so we don't end up bringing too much! The other group of guys going up will have the other half of the camp site (which can get a little rowdy after dark), but they are all good people that we can all hang out with or do our own thing.

I been looking for a trail we can run on Sunday if everyone is down. There is a trail that runs around the mountain (~45 up to the top of the mountain on a paved road) then winds around the South side then ends up back at camp. The trail doesn't look like it will be that challenging since it is a forest service road, but we may find some off shoots to play on along the way. The views will probably be pretty cool considering we will be passing Giant Sequoias along the way, with I'm sure some very scenic views!

The weather has typically been nice during the day (60's and 70's) but can get chilly at night with temperatures dropping to the low 40's or even high 30's, so prepare for cool nights. I would bring some fire wood or a chain saw, there are a lot of down'd trees from Bark Beetle damage, so there will be plenty of wood to cut once up there. It isn't really windy, since we are in pretty dense forest but its always a good idea to have a canopy, in case it rains (and with this years weather I wouldn't count it out). There are (4) vault toilets that are in pretty decent shape and running water, but not considered drinkable. I typically bring a filter and pump to refill right out of the river or stream for the weekend. I've actually tested the water and its really good Almost bottle water quality (

There is typically a Horse shoe tournament on Saturday if anyone wants to partake, and the hiking is amazing if you just want to take off! There's a possibility of trout in the river, but the last couple years there haven't been many, but with all the rains this year, it might have washed some downstream towards the camp??

All in all it is always fun and a beautiful time. Look forward to spending the weekend with you all!

@Justin Zwick Last time I checked you were not allowed to bring firewood with you into SNP/KingsC. All firewood had to be purchased via the camp hosts. This rule went into effect due to the bark beatle issues.

@Justin Zwick Last time I checked you were not allowed to bring firewood with you into SNP/KingsC. All firewood had to be purchased via the camp hosts. This rule went into effect due to the bark beatle issues.
The rangers have never said anything in the past, but they may have assumed we bought it locally? Its unfortunate the amount of damage the beetles have done to the trees up there. There is so much downed timber up there, its really not worth hauling wood there anyway.

Saw your club post back in Nov and booked a spot the same weekend you guys are going. I'll be there fri/sat night and leaving sun morning. Looking forward to it...tick tock!

Saw your club post back in Nov and booked a spot the same weekend you guys are going. I'll be there fri/sat night and leaving sun morning. Looking forward to it...tick tock!
Very cool, we will be taking over the 4 spots by the river. We should be up there around 100 or so Friday afternoon

Do you anticipate it being buggy?
No, its typically not buggy until later in the summer, that when the swarms of lady bugs come out

Depending on how we situate in the spots there may not be a lot of room for an awning or annex, just because there are a lot of trees where the parking is. I've used my RTT and even that takes some planning.

Justin, I can no longer make the trip, family health issues and in laws that I'm dealing with. I'll gladly pay for the spot and offer to anyone that wanted to go.

Justin, I can no longer make the trip, family health issues and in laws that I'm dealing with. I'll gladly pay for the spot and offer to anyone that wanted to go.
No worries Carl, I'm sure I can find a substitute! Sorry you won't be able to make it. But like they say there is always next year!

Justin- I have a friend that has been there before with a couple kids that would like to go. We could double stack a spot.

We already have a taker for the other spot Carl had and looks like Matt is bringing two rigs, so we are already full unfortunately. Next year we will just have to plan on taking over the whole site!

Yeah- sounds like a great place. Looking forward to it.

So since we are getting close (2 weeks) to Memorial Weekend, I though we should meal plan a little so we don't end up either taking too much or doubling efforts. It looks by my last count that we have about 22 - 23 people (including a few young ones) that will be coming up in our group.
I was thinking we break breakfasts into (2) groups, so Saturday morning 1/2 of the crew makes breakfast then Sunday morning the other half cooks? How we split it up, we can figure that out when we get up there? Typically Monday morning we don't do breakfast, just pack up and head down the mountain and hit up Black Bear Dinner or something, then try and beat traffic back, but feel free to, if your not in a hurry to get back.

Lunches, I figure everyone can just do their own thing because everyone will probably be out and about exploring, fishing and hiking, etc.

For Dinners on Friday night I was thinking about keeping it simple and doing tacos and or burgers, I will bring up some stuff to make tacos, and if anyone wants to bring up some of their favorite local flavors bring it on! I've had a couple requests to make Paella, so i will make a big comal load on Saturday, this is a seafood dish, so if anyone is not into seafood, maybe we have a second dish or two (because honestly I don't know if the Paella alone would be enough for everyone anyway), volunteers? Sunday night I was thinking we just do a pot luck, I will probably burn some tri tip or something over the open fire, but plan on making your favorite dish or side and we will all just feast!

Any other suggestions are welcome! Looking forward to this trip, it is a beautiful place that I hope you all will enjoy!

I talked to my dad and he said he will bring up chile verde for everybody on Friday night. We will also bring up bacon and eggs and tortillas for breakfast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom