Builds Meet Phoenix aka Zombie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Chiming in... I'm excited too! Really honestly putting that marble run back together was amazing. What a funky piece of equipment. Who invented it? Who honestly was laying in bed unable to sleep and THAT came to mind?

Alright, so if a guy wanted to take an fj80 a440 and stick an fj62 tailshaft in it, how hard would it be?

Fluids in hand, I’ll get everything topped off tonight, adjust throttle cable, double check everything over a couple beers, and test drive tomorrow. Victory or Fail, I’ll post the video.

Alright, so if a guy wanted to take an fj80 a440 and stick an fj62 tailshaft in it, how hard would it be?

The internal parts I researched were the same from 88’ to Jan 95’. Is the tailhousing different or the output shaft?

If I understand correctly- which I prolly don’t... it’s just the shaft.

The output shaft is the last thing to come out, and comes out the front. If you weren’t replacing anything, just taking apart and putting back together, it’s just standard tools and a bar puller. Calipers and a straightedge for the stack measurements...and a long reach bearing puller for that output shaft bearing. A bore gauge and dial caliper if you want to check/test assemblies while you’re in there. Probably be a good idea to replace a handful of little orings and oil pump seal. Anything beyond that, might as well get a master kit and go for it. Then, you’ll need the compression tool in the pic. I’m pretty sure the A442 went to an electronically controlled valve body? The 440 is complicated but it’s all mechanical with precise measurements. That makes me optimistic the rebuild will work out.

93BA02A1-2AF3-4EE2-811D-8CA39E0A71D3.jpeg

any possible chance of renting some specialty tools for this job from you? I going to dive into the FSM...Thanks!

and did you use publication 36264E?

any possible chance of renting some specialty tools for this job from you? I going to dive into the FSM...Thanks!
That compression tool is really the only specialty tool needed, and only needed if you are doing a full rebuild, you’re welcome to it.

B81BAD98-27FD-4BAE-A00D-3FC985CEF8C9.jpeg

Yeah, when it hit 4th, I was excited for you! I have to say that I held my tongue
on commenting about how much an AT rebuild terrifies me. I didn't want to harsh
your mellow or offer any type of dissent of caution. No doubt, you did it...better
than whomever did it before, if the valve body was any indication.

Congratulations!

I appreciate the kind words. I definitely have doubts and concerns after reading too many threads. It’s all to spec with a fresh torque converter so only time will tell.

When it shifted through all 4 it was a great feeling. Put about 25 miles on it today cruising county roads and hiding behind a county truck when I spotted the Sherrif. Good times! Tweaked the throttle cable a bit and I think it has good shift points now. No odd noises that I can hear...open exhaust makes it hard to hear anything though....but definitely cool cruising around like that. A few celebratory beers are in order Cheers :beer:

Drip check

33B8A92C-0E19-439C-AA07-AF187D4A2DB5.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom