Meet Arkansas Dave, my first mini truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since moving from WA to MO last spring, I was looking for a beater truck to use around the new property. Hauling firewood, brush, leaves, junk etc. Something nimble and simple. Having other Toyotas around, an older Toyota pickup was a natural choice. This one popped up on FB not too far away. Advertised as an 85 that I could drive home. I took my trailer anyway. Turned out to be an 86 with a 22r. Beat the guy down on price and took it home.
20190516_194304.jpg

20190518_164851.jpg

It came out of Arkansas, and the PO's name was Dave, plus it has the exact same paint scheme as my buddy Dave in Seattles FJ60 (@NookShneer ). So Arkansas Dave it was.

Did I mention Arkansas Dave is one classy truck? The interior was sinfully filthy. The bed was full of misc car parts, whisky bottles to match the whisky dents on the body, beer cans, cigarette butts, gear oil bottles and power steering bottles. There was also a receipt in the glovebox from the time someone was desperate enough to buy a Jiminez 9mm from a pawn shop on credit at 7:30 on a Tuesday morning at 300% interest. Super classy. I'm absolutely positive this truck has had all of it's schedule maintenance right on time over it's 326k mile life and has never been abused 😬.

It ran so I changed the oil and put it to work..
20190526_145424.jpg

20190830_174345.jpg

It got stuck in the woods too much so some improvements were made in the traction department.
20190907_155327.jpg

Now I am starting to really like the darn thing. I think it needs to be roadworthy and plated. It may even need to make an appearance in the "Missourah Endurah" (Gambler 500). I have started collecting parts and have made a few repairs already. More to come..

Last edited:
You're not kidding - looks like Arkansas Dave's already earned his spot in the fleet!

Cool truck. Good to see you slumming down here.

I'm dating myself - but a buddy in the dorms came back for sophomore year with a brand new 1986 extended cab truck - silver tho. What a kickass truck. He (or his dad rather) had a $400 payment to go along with it which was a fortune back then.

Get that thing on the road too nice to beat it up in the woods.

The good stuff - the frame is in great shape. Only a little bit of surface rust here and there. It was however filled completely up with river silt, which I pressure washed out. I hate rust. I was very happy to find the frame and body in this condition in the midwest.
20200122_193840.jpg
20200122_193824.jpg

Here you can see a shiny new starter too. Probably a cheap one, but it works.
20200122_193739.jpg
20200122_193754.jpg

20200122_193840.jpg

The carb looked new too. After a little fiddling around, I realized the vacuum hoses were swapped on the TSVS. The aux accelerator pump wasn't gettung vacuum when cold, and the choke breaker was. I swapped the hoses and it is unsuprisingly much happier when cold now. Maybe this fix will also help with the wicked afterfire I was getting.

20200122_193730.jpg

Now for the bad:
T-case leaks like a sieve. I have new output seals waiting installation.
20200122_194411.jpg

Steering box leaks like a sieve. Reseal kit is en route.
20200122_194040.jpg

Some wiring hacks that need attention:
20200122_194018.jpg

20200122_193959.jpg

4WD shifting was a little sloppy. Not sure why..? 🤣. Cleaned up and new Marlin Crawler seats installed in T-case and trans shifters.
20200108_161914.jpg

Also of note:
Alternator dead - en route
Brakes terrible - have new loaded calipers that I found in a box in an FJ40 I bought to install, new shoes, cables, wheel cylinders, hardware on hand to rebuild brakes.
HVAC controls non-functional - no action yet
Muffler looks like one for a lawn tractor. It's about 1" diameter and booger welded on. New correct OE style muffler on hand to he installed

Last edited:
You only need one ground for everything on the truck, the fuel pump is the best place to attach said ground, and wire nuts work great under the hood... so thought Arkansas Dave. Sorted some of that garbage last night.
20200124_234601.jpg
20200124_234606.jpg

Yummy... new one installed. Yay! We have 13.9 volts now.
20200124_231006.jpg

Youtube detailing guys said this stuff is awesome. It even says so on the label. It's also $1 at Dollar General, which is cheaper than most empty spray bottles. Seems to be about the same as Purple Power or Simple Green.
20200125_154612.jpg

Scrubbed it down with (you guessed it) a $1 dish washing brush. Not bad.
20200125_154143.jpg

There's also some $1 over cleaner waiting to attack the trans and bottom of the engine.

Rock Auto and Dollar General will continue to be cornerstones of this project.

There's another problem with Dave.
This.
20200125_163536.jpg

It doesn't work, and it can't play the music of his people:
20200125_164602.jpg

Pretty sure I have something in the stash to remedy that.
20200125_163326.jpg

Single cab beaters need tape decks. Anything else is automotive heresy.

Damn, That engine bay looks great. Nice work. You’ve inspired me - if the temp gets over 45 here tomorrow, that’s my project.

Damn, That engine bay looks great. Nice work. You’ve inspired me - if the temp gets over 45 here tomorrow, that’s my project.
The only hose bib I have still on is from the wifes garage, so this was done outside in the drive. It was cold. But it's motivating and easier to work on stuff the cleaner it is.
20200125_170021.jpg

But see you're from or at least in Missouri... you're tougher than me ;) I've been Atlanta for 17 years. Below 40 we cancel things.

I'm in the same boat with the tunes... right down to the cheesy Dual brand head unit with the removable face.

IMG_6275.jpeg

I want to find an OEM unit - even if it's dead - to swap in there. Or, maybe just a slide-in storage box. My plan is an amp, a few speakers and a Bluetooth dongle... and use my phone to run the music.

But see you're from or at least in Missouri... you're tougher than me ;) I've been Atlanta for 17 years. Below 40 we cancel things.

I'm in the same boat with the tunes... right down to the cheesy Dual brand head unit with the removable face.

View attachment 2192284

I want to find an OEM unit - even if it's dead - to swap in there. Or, maybe just a slide-in storage box. My plan is an amp, a few speakers and a Bluetooth dongle... and use my phone to run the music.
Sounds like a good plan. Let me know if you want one out of the above stack.

Sounds like a good plan. Let me know if you want one out of the above stack.
Does the top one work or light up with power? Looks early 90s?

Does the top one work or light up with power? Looks early 90s?
I will check tomorrow and let you know. They should all work. PM me your address.

"It doesn't work, and it can't play the music of his people:"

Hey Kleatus....did you get that fine collection of 80s-90s pure country gold along with the truck? If'en you aren't into that kind of thing, also being from Arkansas that's right up my alley. I would gladly send some moonshine or my sister's phone number your way for them if you want to get rid of them. Jk on the moonshine.... i would however take them off your hands for a little dough. the only thing that works in my rig is the tape deck... and i only have 2 tapes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom