Mars Pig - 1976 FJ55 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mars

SILVER Star
Threads
I finally did it. :doh:

I've been dreaming about owning a FJ55 for years. Recently my family has gotten a little larger; we had our first child, and there is no way we can fit the three of us in my little Tacoma. I considered 4 door tundras, and 100 series cruisers, but I kept coming back to the thought of an FJ55. I needs me a vehicle with some character!! :hillbilly:

Originally the game plan was to bite the bullet and find a completely restored cruiser, with the work done and ready to drive. There have been several beautiful trucks that have come up recently for sale that I considered, but the more that I looked, the more appealing building my own truck became. I needed a fairly rust free truck that's mechanically solid, at a price point that allows some wiggle room for rebuilding and restoration. Ideally as stock as possible. Sounds like a pipe dream. :grinpimp:

Last month I found it on craigslist, a 1976 FJ55, 175k miles, second owner. The owner was a rather chatty real estate agent who used it to get out of town and explore the desert. He was pretty fanatical about maintenance and keeping it mechanically solid. I had a friend and fellow mudder Maddbaggins check it out for me, and eventually make the transaction and hold the truck until I could make the trip down to pick it up.

This is the first truck I've ever bought sight unseen, and I have to admit, I was more than a little nervous. Originally I'd planned on waiting a month or so and shipping it. It really wouldn't cost much more to have it dropped on my doorstep. After much thought and harassment by the folks in TUT, I decided to do the fly and drive. From Tucson to Vegas, 430 miles. The owner had counted on the pig to get him out and back into the remote desert...so I figured it had to be solid, right?

I arrived in Tucson this last Friday, and it is absolutely as advertised. It has a small bit of rot in the passenger side rocker below the rear door, about the size of a silver dollar. Other than that, it looks basically rust free. The frame and body mounts are beautiful. I pulled up the front floor mats, and it looks like the front passenger floorboards may need some attention, but no gaping holes. It is nearly 100% stock. The first owner sold it at 51k, and prior to that did a cheapie Maaco paint job on it to get it all white. Originally it was two tone bright blue and white. Stock 2f with the smog stuff all there and functional. At some point one of the previous owners put in a beefy add-a-leaf into all the springs. The ride is stiff, but solid.

I hopped in the truck Saturday morning early...had to give myself plenty of time, just in case. :doh:

Thankfully the rest of the ride was pretty much uneventful. :steer: I stopped in Phoenix to meet another 'mud friend and fill up, and again in Wikieup, AZ. The truck runs solid on the freeway. She really likes 58mph. :lol: Much more than that and I got a little front end shimmy that kept things exciting. :doh: It will take some time to figure out the magic of getting the 2F started when warm. Each time I stopped I had a little trouble to get the hot motor to start up again. I think it is likely just not knowing the magic number of times to pump the pedal, but I'm sure I'll get the feel of it in time. :doh:

Last edited:
The plan is to keep the truck mostly stock. Arizona is wonderful on keeping rust at bay, but man has it cooked every bit of rubber on the FJ55. All of the weatherstripping is either totally gone, or looks like it has been melted in place. :eek: I've been slowly trying to decode the weatherstripping thread...that will be a big job to tackle.

This is the sole rust spot:

Is this the stock bench seat??? It looks like it might have been recovered at one time, but I can't really tell?

Last edited:
The list of stuff to do:

1. Clean. Holy crap this thing is filthy. The previous owner said he focused on keeping the truck mechanically sound, and not the appearance...but wow is it full of tree debris and desert sand. I have a feeling it's going to take me a full weekend just to scrub it out. :doh:

2. Baseline. I've got all the basic tune-up stuff coming from Cdan. I've got to get it past Smog here, and be sure it will be daily driver reliable.

3. The seatbelts. Drivers side is cut off at the retractor. In its place is the goofy belt you can see in the pic above. I also need to install a middle belt in the rear seat capable of fitting a car seat. Any recommendations?

4. Repair the rust. Fixing the bit of rot should be fairly simple cut and patch.

5. Paint. I want to do the $50 paint method that's been mentioned before in the paint section. A bit of body work, but I don't need it perfect. It will be a lot of labor doing it myself, but can be done in my already tight garage, and sure is nice on the budget.

6. Weatherstripping. I'm still trying to decide on the game plan here, whether I should just pony up the bucks for slocruisers full kit, or try to amass the parts/pieces from the weatherstripping thread.

7. Air Conditioning. I'm going to hold off until this summer comes closer, but I've budgeted to put in a Vintage Air setup.

8. Sound deadening. Everybody still using Dynamat? Any other recommendations for what to put under the floor mats?

I'm going at it slow. This is my first FJ55, and really my first build. I'm basically a one :banana: mechanic, so this will be a big learning experience. :doh: I'm looking forward to it. :bounce:

A couple surprises...the rear window actually works! And along with the truck came quite the pile of goodies. Including a spare smog pump, a rebuild kit for it, a water pump rebuild kit, full factory service manuals for the 2F and the body/chassis, a Haynes manual, spare sparkplugs, a thermostat, various claps, hoses, etc. Functional rear heater, a cool light bulb (is this a toyota part?) along with all the wrenches/tie iron stuff that goes under the back seat.

Last edited:
She really likes 58mph.

It will take some time to figure out the magic of getting the 2F started when warm.

You learned the first lesson well, Grasshopper.

Do you have a carb cooling fan on your DS inner fender? That works?
Sometimes, strangely enough, a little choke helps with the hot starts...

I'll post some more, I know by now how much you guys like photos. :grinpimp:

Check out this sticker in the glove box:

3. The seatbelts. Drivers side is cut off at the retractor. In its place is the goofy belt you can see in the pic above. I also need to install a middle belt in the rear seat capable of fitting a car seat. Any recommendations?

a water pump rebuild kit,

a cool light bulb (is this a toyota part?)

3. Get some more seatbelts like you driver's seatbelt.

A waterpump rebuilt kit? Toyota? Got a part number?

That is a Toyota drop light, 12v, plugs on the driverside fender...

Way nice 55.I like the choice to drive it home,no better way to figure out how well everything is working.I also found my under hood lamp in the glove box,with original rubber band around cord and in factory plastic bag.You'll have a lot of fun in that beauty.Good times!

3. Get some more seatbelts like you driver's seatbelt.

A waterpump rebuilt kit? Toyota? Got a part number?

That is a Toyota drop light, 12v, plugs on the driverside fender...

53430929624662e64e53b.jpg

This is the water pump kit...looks like he got it from SOR.

Great Truck!

Congrats on the 55!

I exchanged a couple of emails with the owner late last year when it was on Craigslist. Seemed like a good guy, looks like he represented in fairly well. Timing just wasn't right for me...

I like these pigs in all white, but the blue is a cool option, too! Looking forward to watching you make it your own! :steer:

Cheers,
Jason

Congrats on the 55!

I exchanged a couple of emails with the owner late last year when it was on Craigslist. Seemed like a good guy, looks like he represented in fairly well. Timing just wasn't right for me...

I like these pigs in all white, but the blue is a cool option, too! Looking forward to watching you make it your own! :steer:

Cheers,
Jason

The PO very obviously loved and cared for this truck. He was a big reason why I decided on this one. It's been well cared for.

:grinpimp:

very nice, i'm glad it is in the pig community here. such little rust is awesome. the seat looks like the original material,,, usually when they get recovered its in a different pattern.

oh and i'd like to buy that goofy seatbelt when you replace it.

very nice, i'm glad it is in the pig community here. such little rust is awesome. the seat looks like the original material,,, usually when they get recovered its in a different pattern.

oh and i'd like to buy that goofy seatbelt when you replace it.

The reason I'm asking about the seat being recovered...there are no holes in the top of the seat for headrests.

:confused:

I can feel the openings in the seat frame for where they would go through, but the upholstery goes right over the top.

...and the 'goofy' belt is all yours when I replace it. :hillbilly: I prefer to have a more stock looking retracting shoulder belt for the daily drive duty. :grinpimp:

Edit: I might use it for the center belt in the middle rear of the truck. :idea:

The list of stuff to do:

1. Clean. Holy crap this thing is filthy. The previous owner said he focused on keeping the truck mechanically sound, and not the appearance...but wow is it full of tree debris and desert sand. I have a feeling it's going to take me a full weekend just to scrub it out. :doh:

2. Baseline. I've got all the basic tune-up stuff coming from Cdan. I've got to get it past Smog here, and be sure it will be daily driver reliable.

4. Repair the rust. Fixing the bit of rot should be fairly simple cut and patch.

5. Paint. I want to do the $50 paint method that's been mentioned before in the paint section. A bit of body work, but I don't need it perfect. It will be a lot of labor doing it myself, but can be done in my already tight garage, and sure is nice on the budget.

6. Weatherstripping. I'm still trying to decide on the game plan here, whether I should just pony up the bucks for slocruisers full kit, or try to amass the parts/pieces from the weatherstripping thread.

7. Air Conditioning. I'm going to hold off until this summer comes closer, but I've budgeted to put in a Vintage Air setup.

8. Sound deadening. Everybody still using Dynamat? Any other recommendations for what to put under the floor mats?

I'm going at it slow. This is my first FJ55, and really my first build. I'm basically a one :banana: mechanic, so this will be a big learning experience. :doh: I'm looking forward to it. :bounce:

A couple surprises...the rear window actually works! And along with the truck came quite the pile of goodies. Including a spare smog pump, a rebuild kit for it, a water pump rebuild kit, full factory service manuals for the 2F and the body/chassis, a Haynes manual, spare sparkplugs, a thermostat, various claps, hoses, etc. Functional rear heater, a cool light bulb (is this a toyota part?) along with all the wrenches/tie iron stuff that goes under the back seat.

Those light thingies are useful. Put in an inline switch though...

Marspigposer1.jpg
Marspigposer1.jpg

Last edited:
Seatbelts, try JC Whitney for modern retractible ones, don't know if you want be stock or safe... but take some measurements for clearance, belt length and stuff. I added shoulder belts to my Jeepster with stuff from Pep Boys. You can set up a car seat belt in the back by using existing mounting points. You can even add shoulder belts. It's already set up.

Good looking cruiser Mars!!!

By the way, how are you going about cleaning the seats?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom