LX Owners = BMW owners? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I own a BMW and while it's a great car from a driving experience standpoint, it's absolute garbage in the build quality and reliability department. Can't imagine buying a bimmer that wasn't a sports model, that's really the only reason I put up with its s***, a luxury model like the 7 series would just be a pain for no gain.

IIRC, this LX is running 35's on stock AHC suspension in high. He did really well on all the trails during HIH7. If I lived in the south and had a rust free rig, I would keep AHC.

Screen-Shot-2021-01-28-at-8-58-49-AM.png
I think it's unfortunate that there's a lingering notion that AHC and trail-built rigs are incompatible. I think AHC is an asset for trail rigs. A little maintenance mitigates most the risk and then you get all the benefits of a lift without all the downsides. Plus... AHC in comfort, normal height with aired down tires on washboard roads means you can run much longer sections of dirt before you or your passengers need to stop for some fresh air.

The problem with modern BMW's is the incredible shrinking rubber gaskets, the self destructing plastic in the cooling system and the electronics/sensors.... even the biodegradable insulation on the wiring is a fire hazard. Other than that, they are great. I fix mine all the time. :bang:

The problem with modern BMW's is the incredible shrinking rubber gaskets, the self destructing plastic in the cooling system and the electronics/sensors.... even the biodegradable insulation on the wiring is a fire hazard. Other than that, they are great. I fix mine all the time. :bang:
Whatever rubber manufacturer they use should be shot, bushings degrade in record time, hoses collapse, door/hatch seals leak, gaskets shrink, plastic cracks, and the electronics just come and go as they ****ing please. Don't get me wrong, I love driving my 135i M Sport, but from a longevity and reliability standpoint it shouldn't even be able to legally be sold to anyone that doesn't also own a Toyota or Honda to get around.

Oh and get this, BMW says that, on a car with a 12k OCI, losing a quart every 1500mi is normal. I can't tell if mine burns or leaks more of its oil anymore, and frankly since its a fast runabout I don't really care either. But if it was your daily, that figure would really be concerning.... especially on a car with no dipstick haha

Whatever rubber manufacturer they use should be shot, bushings degrade in record time, hoses collapse, door/hatch seals leak, gaskets shrink, plastic cracks, and the electronics just come and go as they f***ing please.

Maybe that’s the whole point of the new Supra, a BMW, with Toyota rubber, plastic, and electronics (or is it just a rebadged BMW with BMW rubber, plastic and electronics)?

Maybe that’s the whole point of the new Supra, a BMW, with Toyota rubber, plastic, and electronics (or is is just a rebadged BMW with BMW rubber, plastic and electronics)?
This is really gonna be interesting in 8-10 years, I've been in them and driven them. They look and feel like BMWs. Everything is made by BMW and has their stamp. But Toyota claims they intervened and helped increase reliability and longevity. So it remains to be seen what normal BMW items were changed to meet Toyota spec... if any. The engine they're using, the B58 has been in 3 series cars for a while and from what I understand hasn't been altered for the Z4/Supra application, the ZF 8 speed trans is in literally everything from 1 series to 8 series to dodge rams.

Oh and get this, BMW says that, on a car with a 12k OCI, losing a quart every 1500mi is normal.
You sure he said "normal" cuz maybe he said "common." haha.

If you are leaking oil from the Oil Filter Housing Gasket and onto the serpentine belt, I'd would definitely address that ASAP. The belt can get sucked into the engine via the crankshaft and literally destroy the engine (oil starvation).

You just reminded me, my oil level sensor is starting to act up. I'm just happy the sensor on the outside of the oil pan and not the inside!

You sure he said "normal" cuz maybe he said "common." haha.

If you are leaking oil from the Oil Filter Housing Gasket and onto the serpentine belt, I'd would definitely address that ASAP. The belt can get sucked into the engine via the crankshaft and literally destroy the engine (oil starvation).

You just reminded me, my oil level sensor is starting to act up. I'm just happy the sensor on the outside of the oil pan and not the inside!

I have personal experience with that, ive never seen it before in all my years of working on cars. We dug out what we could but it was too late, it was in the oil pickup and timing chain guides and destroyed engine.

I have personal experience with that, ive never seen it before in all my years of working on cars. We dug out what we could but it was too late, it was in the oil pickup and timing chain guides and destroyed engine.

I did my OFHG already, I have an N55, so like every BMW over 15k mi I have a rear main leak haha and a VCG leak. That top end in that N54 looks like it wasn't cared for though, these vehicles need constant maint, can't let anything lapse.

You gotta pick them right. The cars in my sig (especially the 530 @ 235K) have been the most reliable cars I ever owned, and I've owned a Camry (brakes broke), and a Honda (block leaked). I have been trying to break my E30, but I cant. I get it..I've got old BMW's, but back to "you gotta pick 'em right"

No Jinxies.

I agree, but I think there’s also widespread ignorance about AHC. From what I can tell, a lot of 2nd/3rd owners, most of which are newbies to Cruisers in general, remove it because the idiots on Facebook tell them AHC is in one way or another “bad”, despite not really knowing what they’re talking about. For whatever reason, most newbies seem to join the Facebook groups first and later, or perhaps never, join the MUD gold mine of info.
I had this conversation with a GX owner yesterday in fact. I explained how the LX will possibly become the more desirable 100-series in time once people realize they have been reading uninformed opinions on the matter rather than listening to owners. To the OP, I agree totally with your estimation. In other words, buy the LXs while they are still undervalued, those days may be coming to an end as supply diminishes even further. LX's regularly trade above $20k these days for vehicles that were in the $10-14k range just a couple of years ago.

It counts as awesome. Love BMW bikes, Completely diffferent animals from their cars, actually built super well and has some concern for the person servicing them.
72D08B43-69F7-4B12-A713-53CD7FE6B343.jpeg

I had this conversation with a GX owner yesterday in fact. I explained how the LX will possibly become the more desirable 100-series in time once people realize they have been reading uninformed opinions on the matter rather than listening to owners. To the OP, I agree totally with your estimation. In other words, buy the LXs while they are still undervalued, those days may be coming to an end as supply diminishes even further. LX's regularly trade above $20k these days for vehicles that were in the $10-14k range just a couple of years ago.
Considering the production numbers are about equal on the 100 for each, that could be. However, the simplicity of the LC and nameplate will always demand a premium. As 200 prices come down, those looking for LX premium features will be buying 200's. That's what is keeping things in to 100 world capped around 20-25K..IMHO.

AHC is the best which means the LX470 is the best 100 series ever made....I'm sorry I mean Land Cruiser Amazon ;)

I get asked all the time "what mods what lift what suspension do you have???" and I always just say "stock." I bet 50% of the AHC removals were rusted out lines the other 50% just needed the torsion bars adjusted.

Maybe that’s the whole point of the new Supra, a BMW, with Toyota rubber, plastic, and electronics (or is it just a rebadged BMW with BMW rubber, plastic and electronics)?

This is really gonna be interesting in 8-10 years, I've been in them and driven them. They look and feel like BMWs. Everything is made by BMW and has their stamp. But Toyota claims they intervened and helped increase reliability and longevity. So it remains to be seen what normal BMW items were changed to meet Toyota spec... if any. The engine they're using, the B58 has been in 3 series cars for a while and from what I understand hasn't been altered for the Z4/Supra application, the ZF 8 speed trans is in literally everything from 1 series to 8 series to dodge rams.

Back when the Supra was released, there was a lot more detail about what Toyota did to the B58 to improve reliability and durability, but I can't seem to find it now. I recall the BMW engineers being shocked at the level of reliability and durability testing Toyota did to that motor to meet their standard. While I love the inline 6, if Toyota dropped the 3.5L tt V6 from the LS into the Supra and a 6sp manual, I'd be buying one.

Screen-Shot-2021-01-28-at-7-29-39-PM.png

Considering the production numbers are about equal on the 100 for each, that could be. However, the simplicity of the LC and nameplate will always demand a premium. As 200 prices come down, those looking for LX premium features will be buying 200's. That's what is keeping things in to 100 world capped around 20-25K..IMHO.
I've said it before but I considered the 200 when I was shopping and found that I much preferred the 100-series. I could have had either but chose the 100. I will admit that I was seeking the Toyota version at first, but once I learned the differences and drove each it became clear the LX was the winner, regardless of how other people view the badges n the grilles.

I've said it before but I considered the 200 when I was shopping and found that I much preferred the 100-series. I could have had either but chose the 100. I will admit that I was seeking the Toyota version at first, but once I learned the differences and drove each it became clear the LX was the winner, regardless of how other people view the badges n the grilles.

The only 200 series LC I like is the 2016+ which are still running $50K+ and going up with the end of the LC in the USA after this year. I will likely pick up a '13-'15 LX when I go 200 series. I've seen nice 2013 LX's going for $30K while the 2013 LC is $40K+. Hard to believe the $$ difference.

The only 200 series LC I like is the 2016+ which are still running $50K+ and going up with the end of the LC in the USA after this year. I will likely pick up a '13-'15 LX when I go 200 series. I've seen nice 2013 LX's going for $30K while the 2013 LC is $40K+. Hard to believe the $$ difference.

The 200 market is a little different. There are a lot more LX than LC out there. Not to mention, the LC owners hang on to them. With the 100's, the numbers are about the same and LC's are on second and third owners, so the market it pretty much level between the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom