LX 570 HID Headlight retrofit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys

I am new to the 200 series but I have been on IH8MUD for 10 years and own a pretty nice 97 40th Anniversary...

Anyway I just bought a 2011 LX 570 for the wife and am trying to figure out how to do a HID retrofit. The 570's prior to 2013 didnt come with HID headlights.

Has anyone on this forum dont this successfully? I did it on my 97 but I am certain the 2011 LX 570 is very different as it has AFS.

Your 2011 doesn't have HIDs? My 2010 does. It has a set of HIDs for low beam, and "normal" lights for high-beams. Are you referring to the high beams only?

I think you should start her truck up tonight and verify what lights she has before going about a retrofit. I don't think I've ever seen an LX570 with halogen low beams. I know that your DRL's are halogen and maybe that is leading you to believe the whole light unit is halogen?

I know for the Landcruiser what you said is correct: 2013+ come with standard HID's. And for the LX 2013+ adds LED DRL as opposed to the halogens of 2008-2011.

HID projectors werent added to the LX 570 until 2013.
Prior to that they all had Halogen Projectors. If you look at them they look like HID projectors but they are in fact halogen projects.

I know for the Landcruiser what you said is correct: 2013+ come with standard HID's. And for the LX 2013+ adds LED DRL as opposed to the halogens of 2008-2011.

Just to be clear:

On 2013 LC200's, ONLY the low beams (outboard pair) are HID's. The inboard pair are Halogens and do double duty as High Beam/DRL's. The LED arrays at the bottom of the headlamp assemblies are on only when the parking lights/headlights are on.

ToyotaLC200_1_21JAN13_zps684b1453.jpg

HTH

Just to be clear:

On 2013 LC200's, ONLY the low beams (outboard pair) are HID's. The inboard pair are Halogens and do double duty as High Beam/DRL's. The LED arrays at the bottom of the headlamp assemblies are on only when the parking lights/headlights are on.

HTH
On 2013's, you can also program the truck to either use the dri's or leave them off.

Steve

On 2013's, you can also program the truck to either use the dri's or leave them off.

Steve
hmmm is there a way to program that for DRL it switches on the LED Arrays instead of the Inboard Halogens? I know you could rewire it but my interest in cutting into the harness on this truck is 0 for at least a few more years.

In markets outside of USA the LEDs serve as DRLs and have a manual switch for them. A while back I had Beno look into getting the appropriate parts, but it was a no go.

In markets outside of USA the LEDs serve as DRLs and have a manual switch for them. A while back I had Beno look into getting the appropriate parts, but it was a no go.
Sales guy showed me how to "turn on" the drls on my cruiser... He just flicked the sidelights on. :bang:

Exactly as Desert Nomad pointed out - just disable the DRL's on your rig and turn on your parking lights. Voila! LED DRL's :clap:

HTH

Bump...

Has anyone retrofitted a 2008-2011 LX 570 with HIDs. Headlight suck on these pre 2013 rigs.
On another forum I have read that folks have used the 2013 headlights in a 2011 to enable HID. There is some work that needs to be done on the headlight connectors to get AFS and auto leveling to work though....

If you want HIDs that bad, just buy a plug and play HID kit off of Amazon. Will be a whole lot cheaper.

that wouldnt work for what I am looking for. I am looking for an OEM level job. There are several threads on MUD on a proper HID retrofit (HID projectors, ballasts, relays wired into the factory or a Slee Harness) including my write up back in 2008 on my 80 series. Also tons of write ups on HID Planet.

I was looking specifically for one for a 2008- 20011 200 series or LX 570 and how to enable stock functionality which would include AFS and auto leveling.

The 80 series had terrible stock headlights from Toyota and it looks like with my 2011 LX 570, they havent gotten much better... Once you drive a vehicle with real HID lighting it is tough to go back to halogen/ halogen projectors. Most people say this is most impactful mod on their rig once they do it.

Bunch of threads on this on the Club Lexus Forum. A few have done it successfully but there are very few pictures of the process.

2011 HID install - Club Lexus Forums

Bump...

Has anyone retrofitted a 2008-2011 LX 570 with HIDs. Headlight suck on these pre 2013 rigs.
On another forum I have read that folks have used the 2013 headlights in a 2011 to enable HID. There is some work that needs to be done on the headlight connectors to get AFS and auto leveling to work though....

Yes. And I put in led fogs too. Both kits were purchased from theretrofitsource.com.

HID install wasn't hard but it headlights needed special attention because they are active headlights and move laterally. I removed the halogen headlight cap and used this as a cap. Rubber Housing Caps - Accessories

If you don't allow the bulbs to move laterally you'll get a warning light on the dash and the lights don't track the with the steering wheel.

Review: Morimoto XB LED Fogs (type T)

It's been almost 15months since install and everything still works.

Thanks
Do you have any pics of the install?
How did you do the wiring?
Thanks!

Thanks
Do you have any pics of the install?
How did you do the wiring?
Thanks!

For the wiring follow this vid for reference: Wiring HIDs are identical from vehicle to vehicle.

You have to be creative with the LX570 due to the active headlights. If you don't provide allowance or space for the bulb to articulate, you'll get an error on your dash and your headlights won't turn with the steering wheel. The only way around that is to pull the fuse. I wanted to keep that functionality stock.

Purchase a pair of 100mm caps from Rubber Housing Caps - Accessories
parts.jpg

You'll have to remove your OEM headlight housing cap to fit the 100mm cap within. I used a dremel. It wasn't pretty, but it did the trick.
drill cap.jpg

Install the rubber cap onto the OEM headlight cap.

install into cap.jpg

Drill holes to accommodate wiring for the HID bulb.
inner.jpg

outer.jpg

Con't...

parts assembled.jpg

Installed HID kit onto passenger side (test fit pictured below). I was able to put the OEM cap back onto the headlight housing. I've had no issues with condensation.

install on passenger side.jpg

After install, drive around to test functionality.

outstanding! Do you have a pic of the light output and the cutoff?

You didnt update the stock projector unit in the headlight housing did you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom