LS3 Erod..how are 37s for DD? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So our little 40 has bounced around several cruiser shops and has landed w trollhole. Lots of headaches w 2F rebuilds, so we opted for a crate GM V8. This started the domino effect that led to Atlas case, NV4500, Saginaw, SOA, and 99% sure we'll go w Dynatrac axles cut to 60" WMS. Never had this much power in anything, so it's a little exciting to imagine what we'll have in the end. My question to you guys is this.... do 37 inch radials behave well on the road? I know 35s do or can, because my 80 has them. I've considered the 36 irok radial, but may want something more DD friendly. Any suggestions or advice on 35 vs 37 would be appreciated. I've exhausted my searches and decided to start this thread in hopes of additional info/advice. This 40 has been framed off and will not be a rock bouncer. It will be a cruiser, capable of driving long distance w occasional camping/trail riding for now. Why did we build it so tough? We wanted something that would have power and be hard to break. She's been in shops for the past 5 years. When trollhole gets her done, I have faith we can avoid breakdowns and minimize future shop time/down time. This is a cruiser that me, 45 yrs old, and my dad, 72 yrs old, have designed and dreamed of having for years. I'm just hung up on what tire to run. Pretty sure we will go w TR 17x9 beadlook wheels, for what it's worth. Thanks cruiser heads!

Personally I think that 62" to 65" inches is the sweet spot for axle wms width for a soa 40 and aides in being a better rig off and onroad by giving better stability. If the wheelbase is not stretched at all it can be tough to make 37s look right. Beadlocks will make it less street friendly. I also think a 5 speed Trans begins to become kinda not needed with 35 inch plus tires. 3.70 diff gears and 35s or 37s will give a fine cruising rpm, the v8 will easily power, and the Atlas will give u crawl gearing. Just remember the longer your Trans and tcase setup the steeper your dshafts gotta be. Another factor for being a good daily driver is how the suspension is setup. Too soft and it will be tougher to control on the street unless u add sway bars. Too stiff and it will be hard on the back over the bumps. Stock fj40 leafs give a good balance of ride. Just a few of my opinions, I'm sure it will be a nice rig.

Personally I think that 62" to 65" inches is the sweet spot for axle wms width for a soa 40 and aides in being a better rig off and onroad by giving better stability. If the wheelbase is not stretched at all it can be tough to make 37s look right. Beadlocks will make it less street friendly. I also think a 5 speed Trans begins to become kinda not needed with 35 inch plus tires. 3.70 diff gears and 35s or 37s will give a fine cruising rpm, the v8 will easily power, and the Atlas will give u crawl gearing. Just remember the longer your Trans and tcase setup the steeper your dshafts gotta be. Another factor for being a good daily driver is how the suspension is setup. Too soft and it will be tougher to control on the street unless u add sway bars. Too stiff and it will be hard on the back over the bumps. Stock fj40 leafs give a good balance of ride. Just a few of my opinions, I'm sure it will be a nice rig.
Honestly, I haven't decided on width of axles yet. I want it to look as stock as possible. That's why I was shooting towards 60 inches wide for axles. If I could see more pics of say 62-65" axles, it would help. That's a tough image to google. Leaning toward the TR wheels, simply because we like the look. We would be using the fake bead look style though. Doing math w Dynatrac, the claim I'll be at 1750 RPMS running 55. Overall crawl they claim will be 117:1, w the early GM granny NV4500. The axles are slated for 4.88s. Thanks for your reply/input.

My FJ55 is similar setup and was daily driven. LQ4 + NV4500 + split case, SOA on 60" wide Dana 60s with ARBs and 4.56 gears, using Scout PS box. I'm running 35s with no issues due to everything being new/rebuilt. I am running a big fat Ruff stuff sway bar in the rear. Plus my SOA is a bit different with shackle sliders instead of shackles.

I've done freeway plus speeds with no concerns. I had 4.88 gears but they were a bit too deep for the 35s. Even with 4.88 gears and 35s, rumor has it I could get up to 90mph:eek:

I'm currently fighting some electric rewiring and will be back to daily driver before summer.
That's cruising! And thanks for the RUFF stuff tip on the sway bar. Good look w the electrical work. Also, I have a 79 pig waiting to see which way to take her. She was my first cruiser 25 yrs ago and started my obsession w LCs! Just love the old pigs

Honestly, I haven't decided on width of axles yet. I want it to look as stock as possible. That's why I was shooting towards 60 inches wide for axles. If I could see more pics of say 62-65" axles, it would help. That's a tough image to google. Leaning toward the TR wheels, simply because we like the look. We would be using the fake bead look style though. Doing math w Dynatrac, the claim I'll be at 1750 RPMS running 55. Overall crawl they claim will be 117:1, w the early GM granny NV4500. The axles are slated for 4.88s. Thanks for your reply/input.
You can check my cruiser. My axles are about 62" and I have wheels with 2" offset. I wish I was wider axles and less wheel offset. My build thread is in the link below.

Here is one of my favorite pictures of my 55 with 60" axle + 4.5" BS 17x8" rims and 35" tires:
flex-jpg.784805

You can see maybe 2" of tire outside of the fender which is the look I like. The flex is with the stock FJ55 sway bar attached and not the Ruffstuff.

The build for the above is the first link in my sig(trail55)

I'll just say the second link(trail50) will make that look mild:worms:
Damn what a pig! That's awesome I'll check out your links. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom