Lower Shock Bolt Armor/skid (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LC4LIFE

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Hi Everyone,

I couldn't find much for bolt protection aside from some stuff offered a number of years ago so I built these up today and I really like them. I built up a different version last weekend, but after some feedback and a bit more looking around, I created these and definitely like them better. I also put them up for sale over in the Small Storefront section if you want a pair. Lower Shock Bolt Armor.

shkskd-2.jpg
shkskd-3.jpg
shkskd-4.jpg
shkskd.jpg

Just a question, and I'm not trying to be an ass, but is there really that much of a problem with shock mount hardware being damaged that it needs armor? One other thing, if the point of your project is to go for more strength, then I'd increase the strength of the bolts your using. The one's in your photo are only equivalent to about a grade 5 in strength.

My lower shock mounts have taken several blows. They aren’t pretty, the washers are folded over and need to be flattened back out nearly any time they are off the truck and it sometimes takes a little talking to with a hammer to get the socket onto the bolt itself.

That said, for $45 I would hope these would last a bit longer than other, similar things I’ve seen. My guess is that they won’t, just given the location of those mounts.

Also, the icon rear shocks I run have a larger mount loop (a rod end), so I bet those wouldn’t fit on them because it looks pretty snug around those OMEs. Could just be the angle, though.

Just a question, and I'm not trying to be an ass, but is there really that much of a problem with shock mount hardware being damaged that it needs armor? One other thing, if the point of your project is to go for more strength, then I'd increase the strength of the bolts your using. The one's in your photo are only equivalent to about a grade 5 in strength.

Thanks. Feedback is welcome, and is always expected on this forum:).

My main goal was to protect the bolt head, while giving a bit of protection to the bottom of the shock and this accomplishes that. Over the decades owning and driving 80's, I have seen the washer and bolt head mangled many many times on many rigs, both mine and others. I would say I have seen it a bit more with the guys running wheel spacers since the tire is a bit further out. I am not to worried about the strength as the bolt is threaded entirely into the post the shock bushing slides over, but I guess if we really want stronger bolts I could get stronger ones. I think the OEM bolt fits in as well, it just has the washer permanently mounted to it.

I would hope these would last a bit longer than other, similar things I’ve seen. My guess is that they won’t, just given the location of those mounts.

Also, the icon rear shocks I run have a larger mount loop (a rod end), so I bet those wouldn’t fit on them because it looks pretty snug around those OMEs. Could just be the angle, though.

I think these will provide the protection I was looking for and many others that I have talked too. Part of the reason I went with the overall length on the bottom was so that if you did take a strike and it bends or flexes, it stops when it hits the main bracket coming down from the axle housing.

If you don't mind, get me a measurement of the Icon's. Out of curiosity I would like to know if they will fit. BTW - these are 1 3/4" I.D, and the shocks in the pics are Dobinsons. From what I measured on some old OME's I had in my trash pile, the Dobinsons are slightly bigger than the OME.

Last edited:
Wasn’t it bhmapping that made these for years? I have them on my truck.

Yes, you are correct. I had a picture, but could not find the thread on them, so thanks. Looks like he stopped making them in 2015.

Since you have them, would you recommend any changes?

I think these will provide the protection I was looking for and many others that I have talked too. Part of the reason I went with the overall length on the bottom was so that if you did take a strike and it bends or flexes, it stops when it hits the main bracket coming down from the axle housing.

If you don't mind, get me a measurement of the Icon's. Out of curiosity I would like to know if they will fit. BTW - these are 1 3/4" I.D, and the shocks in the pics are Dobinsons, From what I measured on some old OME's I had in my trash pile, the Dobinsons are slightly bigger than the OME.

I’ll try to remember to snag one the next time I’m under the truck checking stuff, which should be tomorrow or Wednesday.

The rear shocks take a beating. I replace the lower bolts every year or 2. On my 91 I had similar bolt guards but I removed them because they put too much leverage on the bolt head.
Lower shock hardware is about $3 each.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom