Loss of drive problem. Front axle service? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

after lurking these forums for a while, I have finally thrown in the towel and joined! First off, a big thanks to ih8mud and the members that provide so much information and knowledge! I have learned so much from these forums and feel much more confident when dealing with my cruiser.

Before you begin, there is a TLDR version at the bottom of post. Sorry for the lengthy text, just trying to explain my issue as best as I can. Any feedback,information, and comments are greatly appreciated!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On to the problem...

I use my LC as my daily driver (not offroading unfortunately. NOT YET at least) and normally drive around 125 miles a week. Up until 3 weeks ago, everything seemed fine besides my leaking valve cover gasket. Most of my attention was focused on that until I noticed that my truck started losing power/drive while driving to/from work, especially on upward slopes.

It doesn't happen all the time and it occurs during different speeds. At first I thought it only occurred when driving on the freeway but then I started noticing it at low speeds. Sometimes driving on the freeway feels great - then next thing I know, I feel the loss of power kick in and my truck struggles to reach 50 - 60 mph. On a few rare occasions, I noticed some white smoke coming from above the DS wheel. After talking about it with my dad, we were thinking it was just oil burning from the leaky valve cover gasket (there is also a strong burning smell at times, which this theory would explain).

After researching on these forums, I was leaning towards something to do with the fuel pump or filter, sensors, spark plugs, or the distributor. As far as loss of drive was concerned, these seemed to be the things I read about most.

Some of the other symptoms that I started noticing (besides the loss of drive) were:

1.) my brake pedal was acting up - sometimes the pedal had to travel a longer distance towards the floor for the brakes to engage (which was normal) and sometimes the brake pedal felt very stiff and required little distance to engage.

2.) When taking my foot off the gas pedal, the truck seemed to slow down very rapidly. Acceleration was slower than normal and decreasing speed happened much more quickly. ( it almost seemed like I was riding the brakes constantly - like they were always engaged)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THEN, this happened! Driving home from work on friday evening, everything feels great. Hit some traffic and slow down to about 10 mph for a little while. Once I get out of traffic, I try to get back up to speed ~65mph and I can't get her over 40 mph. It :censor: sucked! I threw on the hazards and had to pull off on the next exit. I stop in a hotel parking lot and the thing is smoking like crazy. See videos for more details/evidence.

After a nice conversation with pops ~15 min, I decide to try to make it back home which is only about 4 miles away. Pulling out of parking lot feels fine. Hop on freeway and I get it up to 65/70 no problem.

Currently, she is sitting in the alleyway behind my house, waiting to be worked on :D After researching the forums since Friday night, I have definitely decided that a front axle rebuild is in store, along with possibly replacing the rotors and brake pads.

I'm coming to you guys for help because I just wanted to see your thoughts on if a front axle rebuild/rotors/brakes would fix my problem with the decrease in power/drive. I understand that the smoke, grime, grease (seen in videos/pics) is most likely from faulty axle seals/bearings/gaskets/etc. but does this cover the loss of drive issue?

Could the loss in drive be from something to do with the brakes being stuck? Is that why my brake pedal feels stiff/soft at different times?

I will definitely hit up "The One" they call CDan (insert bowing emoticon here) for the rebuild kit and possibly the rotors, 100 series brake pads.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TL;DR - Loss of drive/power (can't reach normal speeds). Need to perform front axle rebuild. This will fix the grease/grime problem around my knuckles but will this fix a loss of power? Brake pedal stiff at times and soft at others. Sometimes feels like my brakes are constantly engaged somewhat.

Calipers sticking would explain a lot...

cheers,
george.

Thanks for the quick responses! I tried to post my videos/pics but it wouldn't work so I tried using a file hosting site - oh well. I'll work on that later.

As for the sticking brake calipers, I'll see what I can find out from the FAQ. Any tips or things to look for that might be worth mentioning?

- O'Neill

Well, they're like any disc brake vehicle, pistons that push the brake pads against the rotor. Lack of maintenance/rust etc will cause them to stick/jam. I'd pull the front wheels off ASAP and also check that you don't have loose caliper bolts etc. Check SOON before you potentially become a statistic :(

With all the smoke pouring out, the rotor may have been 'glowing' if you had looked closely, especially given it was night time in your video.

cheers,
george.

Well, they're like any disc brake vehicle, pistons that push the brake pads against the rotor. Lack of maintenance/rust etc will cause them to stick/jam. I'd pull the front wheels off ASAP and also check that you don't have loose caliper bolts etc. Check SOON before you potentially become a statistic :(

With all the smoke pouring out, the rotor may have been 'glowing' if you had looked closely, especially given it was night time in your video.

cheers,
george.

Thanks for the response george! Luckily I can use my sister's car until I can get mine repaired, she's outta town. I'm going to be on vacation this week so I'm planning on ordering parts today, hopefully, from CDan. Any recommendations

Here's a look at the inside of the wheel/knuckle from fri. night

View My Video

You've got a total failure going on there - since it is BOTH sides. You need to figure out what has failed versus just randomly ordering parts - unless you have a TON of disposable income to dispose of...

Pull the wheels and figure out what the problem actually is...

cheers,
george.

You are due for a knuckle rebuild. I bet your wheel bearings are shot. You won't know what you need till you get it apart, but it's safe to say you need new seals, wheel bearings, wipers, etc. You may need new brakes, rotors, calipers, flush brake fluid, spindles, drive plates, birfields, etc. Again, you won't know until you get apart.

You've got a total failure going on there - since it is BOTH sides. You need to figure out what has failed versus just randomly ordering parts - unless you have a TON of disposable income to dispose of...

Pull the wheels and figure out what the problem actually is...

cheers,
george.

Going to pull the wheels off now and start breaking down the hubs. Any components in particular that might be causing the smoke on both sides?

I was thinking both of the knuckles/components were faulty - that's why I was aiming towards the front axle rebuild kit. Something more serious though eh?? Here goes nothing.....

Going to pull the wheels off now and start breaking down the hubs. Any components in particular that might be causing the smoke on both sides?

I was thinking both of the knuckles/components were faulty - that's why I was aiming towards the front axle rebuild kit. Something more serious though eh?? Here goes nothing.....

Wheel bearings could cause that for sure, and everything they touch (spindle/hub). I bet you will see some pretty purple colored metal that will clear things up real quick when you get it apart. If it's not welded itself together...

Wheel bearings could cause that for sure, and everything they touch (spindle/hub). I bet you will see some pretty purple colored metal that will clear things up real quick when you get it apart. If it's not welded itself together...

well damn, I don't think they have welded together yet! I made it home alright on Friday night and it has been sitting since then. I have till around dec. 16th to repair - then the sis will need her car back.

Calipers sticking would explain a lot...

cheers,
george.
Yup. Does it pull when you're braking?

<edit: interrupted by a neighbor>

Yup. Does it pull when you're braking?

<edit: interrupted by a neighbor>

damn that neighbor :)

Honestly, I don't think it does. I've only noticed that it felt like the brakes were engaged partially while riding - this was extremely noticeable when I took my foot off the gas pedal and it would quickly come to a stop. I know for a fact that some kind of seal or gasket is compromised on the DS knuckle/hub because there has been a leak for sometime that would run down the wheel. I've never heard any kind of noises coming from the wheels either.

On a side note, based off your username surfpig, nice to see a fellow surfer on here :cheers:

Pull the wheels and take a look, take some pics, post them up (decent pics, not some fuzzy/dark garbage) :)

cheers,
george.

Came to a big stop after pulling off the wheel. No 17mm socket so now I'm off to autozone, then back to working in the dark...something my dad and I have been cursed with :bang:

I did take some pics of the progress so far. In my inexperienced opinion, I believe that everything looks fine so far. That rust/buildup on the inside of the rotor is pretty normal, correct? Since I will be doing a knuckle rebuild, I'm fine with replacing some of these other components at the same time if needed.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

damn that neighbor :)

Honestly, I don't think it does. I've only noticed that it felt like the brakes were engaged partially while riding - this was extremely noticeable when I took my foot off the gas pedal and it would quickly come to a stop. I know for a fact that some kind of seal or gasket is compromised on the DS knuckle/hub because there has been a leak for sometime that would run down the wheel. I've never heard any kind of noises coming from the wheels either.

On a side note, based off your username surfpig, nice to see a fellow surfer on here :cheers:
Grew up in redondo beach. I've surfed (body surfed) about everything from Santa Barbara to Puerto Escondido in Mexico.

I mostly snow surf now though.

:meh:

Last edited:
That is some serious lack of maintenance - in terms of the buildup of grease/gunk that's leaked out. A lot of the 'smoke' is probably that grease/gunk burning off as the rotor heats up.

That brake pad looks like it has been abraded on rocks or something... You like driving in the ocean or along the beach or was that 80 from a more rust prone area - that rotor in the vent area looks pretty rusty, pads too and also the picture of the hub area? More than I'd expect from a Cali vehicle.

What's the history of your 80?

You'll need to get into those knuckles/birfields and pull them and replace seals/felts/bearings etc. Then you'll get an idea if stuff inside is cooked - maybe no grease left in there since it's all oozed out... I'd say you have a bunch of $$ to spend on parts... Hopefully you have the FSM or at least download the electronic copy of the birfmark one for the '96 so you can pull things apart. There's quite a few writeups on this forum for the front end maintenance you'll need to do. I'd include checking all the brake parts/system. Probably pay to get a caliper re-build kit etc.

cheers,
george.

Grew up in redondo beach. I've surfed (body surfed) about everything from Santa Barbara to Puerto Escondido in Mexico.

I mostly snow surf now though.

:meh:

Sweet! I'm from SC, recently moved to San Diego 2 years ago and have loved it ever since. I came out here for the surf - one of the best decisions I've ever made! Actually heading to mammoth/yosemite this week and will hopefully get to snowboard a day or 2.

That is some serious lack of maintenance - in terms of the buildup of grease/gunk that's leaked out. A lot of the 'smoke' is probably that grease/gunk burning off as the rotor heats up.

That brake pad looks like it has been abraded on rocks or something... You like driving in the ocean or along the beach or was that 80 from a more rust prone area - that rotor in the vent area looks pretty rusty, pads too and also the picture of the hub area? More than I'd expect from a Cali vehicle.

What's the history of your 80?

You'll need to get into those knuckles/birfields and pull them and replace seals/felts/bearings etc. Then you'll get an idea if stuff inside is cooked - maybe no grease left in there since it's all oozed out... I'd say you have a bunch of $$ to spend on parts... Hopefully you have the FSM or at least download the electronic copy of the birfmark one for the '96 so you can pull things apart. There's quite a few writeups on this forum for the front end maintenance you'll need to do. I'd include checking all the brake parts/system. Probably pay to get a caliper re-build kit etc.

cheers,
george.

George, thank you for the responses!

In regards to driving in the ocean, I wouldn't dare think of something like that haha. As mentioned earlier, this thing has never been off road since I've had it. My family originally bought this car from someone (not sure if original owner) in Charleston, SC...I believe. We are from a small town north of Charleston. There are some records of basic services performed by the previous owner - records showing oil changes, tire rotations/purchases, etc (all performed in Charleston). Nothing too fancy. It does have OME suspension but I'm not sure if he had it installed or someone before him.

We acquired the truck sometime in 2013 I think. It was used as a daily driver although my sister did do some light mudding - that's all though. I switched cars with my parents and my dad and I drove her across country - from SC to CA - back in July.

I have only performed some basic maintenance and repairs to the truck but nothing this in depth. I am trying to learn as much as possible from this site and I want to avoid mechanics as much as possible. After thoroughly researching the front axle rebuild posts/threads, videos, and other websites, I believe I can do the job - just need a few more tools and the parts, of course.

Unfortunately, I do not have a ton of money to do these repairs :crybaby: I am a full time teacher so I kind of lucked up having Thanksgiving break to sort of diagnose and research the problem. It doesn't help that my gf and I are heading north Tues. afternoon towards Yosemite and Mammoth which will use some of my precious funds :doh:

I most definitely will be purchasing a front axle rebuild kit, along with the wheel bearings. I would love to go ahead and knock out the rotors, calipers, and brakes...of course that all starts to add up ughhh. I'm hoping the knuckles, spindle, and axle are fine - if not, then I'll really have a problem. At least paycheck time is coming at the end of the month and I can use another car till then.

Once again, thanks for all the help!

- O'neill

ps - I didn't get to work on it anymore tonight. I will be disassembling the rest of the hub tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted.

So I'm back after a 2 week long hiatus - after being away for thanksgiving break, I had some catching up to do for school and haven't had a chance to get around to my front axle until today. Took me about 3 hours to get all of these parts off. I took my time just to make sure I didn't misplace a part or mess something up. One guy stopped by to ask if I needed any help, even though he didn't know anything about my problem when I explained it to him. I told that kind fella, "hell, neither do I. I've learned all this from a website online!"

On a side note, I did not have the 54 mm hub nut socket (none of the auto parts stores around me had it) so I used a brass drift and hammer to knock it loose. This I didn't mind since it had already been beaten up by someone before me, as you'll see in the pics.

I was finally able to take everything apart - all the way down to just the knuckle. I knocked loose the bearing races and called it quits there (we had a holiday parade to watch in OB). I did try using the hammer and a screw driver method to try to get out the oil seal inside the knuckle but I kind of put a stop to that real quick - I didn't feel comfortable banging around in there and probably will get a seal puller from harbor freight or amazon.

Tonight I need to soak all the parts in some gasoline that I have saved from our road trip up north. After doing all this, I know that a front axle rebuild is much needed. As far as my problem with the front wheels smoking and the weird loss of power issue, I'm leaning towards something to do with my brakes - whether it involves the caliper pistons, brake pads, or the master cylinder. Time to browse some more threads ;)

Please take a look at the photos and let me know if anything stands out to you or is worth mentioning. This is an awesome site! The front axle rebuild FAQ came in handy today :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom