looking for information on rigging electrical system for winch/aux lights etc. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I've been looking around both the lighting and auxiliary power threads and didn't seem to find any information, I understand that information may not be here on MUD.

I am looking at learning more/teaching myself how to wire a car appropriately for accessories: winch, lights, maybe a solar panel (in the future). More immediately, figuring out how to setup a wiring system for auxiliary lights and a winch, running off the battery, what kind of connections would be useful to unplug and kill the power source to avoid parasitic drain on the battery, how to properly set and wire a separate fuse box for these (is a separate fuse box needed?) I want things to work, not blow up, do it well and not have the car catch fire.

I am a complete noob when it comes to this; not a joke thread, but really looking at getting pointed in the direction you may point your 16 year old nephew on how to tackle these types of jobs.

thank you.

Search more! Look into some of the Blue Sea stuff, they make add-on fuse panels for adding loads. Rule number one is never splice into or add loads to factory wiring. Always run new wires (always fused) directly from the battery. You can find info on relays or "solenoids" to switch all these add-on loads on or off. Winches should always be wired directly to the battery, no exceptions.

Subbed...Ih8wiring! I can turn a wrench but still can't figure out how to properly add a basic blue sea fuse block. Searched YT last night but Mud members seem to have it down better. Drew or Joey should make a DVD and sell it! :idea:

Hello,

I've been looking around both the lighting and auxiliary power threads and didn't seem to find any information, I understand that information may not be here on MUD.

I am looking at learning more/teaching myself how to wire a car appropriately for accessories: winch, lights, maybe a solar panel (in the future). More immediately, figuring out how to setup a wiring system for auxiliary lights and a winch, running off the battery, what kind of connections would be useful to unplug and kill the power source to avoid parasitic drain on the battery, how to properly set and wire a separate fuse box for these (is a separate fuse box needed?) I want things to work, not blow up, do it well and not have the car catch fire.

I am a complete noob when it comes to this; not a joke thread, but really looking at getting pointed in the direction you may point your 16 year old nephew on how to tackle these types of jobs.

thank you.

Start here: HOW TO: POWER DISTRIBUTION Part 1-Aux fuse panel

I've decide to go the route of dual battery setup because if you have more things running to one battery it becomes
a mess and fire hazard. You may need @NLXTACY 's fire extinguisher mount and extinguisher if you're really bad at wiring! Lol. Seriously though, keep a extinguisher in your car. Look up dual battery setups. I'm slowly pulling mine together. Wiring first then purchase or Fab relocation for washer bottle and battery tray.

Just get an sPOD to wire everything up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom