Looking for a Tailgate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 82 FJ40 and I want to find a fold down tailgate. Any suggestions on where or who I should talk to? Thanks!

Last edited:
Is it an 82 or not? The quotes are confusing me. I think aqualu makes an alumnium one that would work for a later model. Do you want OEM style or what?

Dang....so much anger...

List in parts wanted and I bet you get some hits. They're floating around here. Good luck!

Is it an 82 or not? The quotes are confusing me. I think aqualu makes an alumnium one that would work for a later model. Do you want OEM style or what?
Not sure where the " " came from but yes indeed it is an 1982. I am wanting a OEM style not aluminum.

Dang....so much anger...

List in parts wanted and I bet you get some hits. They're floating around here. Good luck!

I may be techtarded but I can't find how or where the forsale/wanted posts are. I'll have to look from a real computer not my phone.

How much work are willing to put into it. I know where an OEM tailgate for a FST is. It will take work but you will have the real deal.

Sorry, didn't mean to come off angry. So, since your '82 has round corners you'll have to fab something. You can buy an older drop down tailgate and fab the corners to make it work. You could also have some barn doors and do the same. It's a pickle to have an older model and want a drop down tailgate that looks OEM. I'm in a similar situation. You'll need to drill and mount hinges as well.

How much work are willing to put into it. I know where an OEM tailgate for a FST is. It will take work but you will have the real deal.

I'm doing a bunch of body work so now is the time to do it. I've seen aftermarket ones but they are expensive and don't come with any hardware. I know anything I find will likely not be the correct year and the corners will have to be modified to fit my 1982 tub.

Here is a pic of @gcrump01 solution. He has rounded corners as well and used 2 barn doors welded together (square corners)
Came out really nice (pic from his build)

image.jpeg

I may be techtarded but I can't find how or where the forsale/wanted posts are. I'll have to look from a real computer not my phone.

yes, a real computer helps massively - here are the Classifieds: Classifieds - apparently, you found them :doh:

I have barn doors, and have read several threads where they were re-purposed into a tailgate. I have been somewhat interested in this, and the more I think about this the better I like it. I don't consider myself to be a top notch welder, but with a bit of practice to refresh my memory I can do it.

What I don't remember is where the hinges came from. I am not into them absolutely being Toyota, aftermarket is fine with me. Does anybody have that info?

Don

When I built my tailgate out of 1/2 doors, I made my own hinges using 2" flat bar and 3/4" OD tube. It takes a little bit of effort and experimentation, but it's doable and they can be made to put the tailgate exactly where you want it to be (flush with the sill or proud of the sill).

Hinge1.jpg

I have barn doors, and have read several threads where they were re-purposed into a tailgate. I have been somewhat interested in this, and the more I think about this the better I like it. I don't consider myself to be a top notch welder, but with a bit of practice to refresh my memory I can do it.

What I don't remember is where the hinges came from. I am not into them absolutely being Toyota, aftermarket is fine with me. Does anybody have that info?

Don

Thank you. Good info, which I might consider as I'm a kind of do-it-yourselfer. Anybody else with other options? Pics?

Don

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom