Looking for 3 inch lift recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone, this is my first post sorry if its lacking info but i just picked up a 470 and looking for recommendations for a 3 inch lift that wont break the bank as this would just be an entry level setup. I came across OME being one of the more “reliable” options but im not sure how much of a lift it would give me. So far i have
- 90021 shocks w/ 885 front springs
- 895 rear springs
- OME uca’s

Can anyone running this setup or something similar share how much of a lift this would bring?

Also, was talking to a shop about my future plans and they mentioned 35s would need more work such as brakes and whatever else (forgot what they said). Already know about the whole regearing and bmc but curious as to what else would suffer from running 35s

In my opinion, the best lift for the gx470 is a ~2.25” to 2.5” lift upfront and a 2” lift in the rear.

This wouldn’t break the bank, wouldn’t stress out too many components, and it’s like the sweet spot for a lift (not considering extreme off-roading here)

This lift would also level the look as opposed to having too much of a rake.

Also in my opinion, standard basic OME maybe a little stiff but some people like a stiff ride.

There are other basic options that allow you to select the lift/height on the front coilovers.

Those brands include but not limited to Eibach, Bilstein, Ironman, Dobinson, just to name a few in the basic entry level world.

In terms of tires, if you want 35s, here’s what you need to consider…

Gx470 Minimum Checklist for 35s:

• BMC (or a body mount relocation) and flatten pinch welds.
  • Aftermarket UCAs to get camber in the 3.5* to 4.0* range to move wheels forward.
  • 2.5” lift front; 2” lift rear. Lift doesn’t really reduce rubbing.
  • Trim oem front bumper or add aftermarket front bumper.
  • Trim front wheel well.
  • Remove/trim stock running boards or have rock sliders.
  • rims with offset in the range of +4 to -10. Offset impacts rubbing a lot.
  • Don’t get fat tires. Limit tire width from 10” to 11”. Fatter tires rub more.
  • And 35s add potential stress on transmission, cv axles, steering rack, spare location, etc!
And of course, all these potential issues can be solved with time, money, and effort.

Some people run 35s the right way, but that includes regearing to 4.56, an engine firmware tune, and lots of other little mods that will leave your wallet thin, but get zero rubbing.

Some people also run 37s or 39s but that’s way more advanced/complex than fitting 35s

Last edited:
In my opinion, the best lift for the gx470 is a ~2.25” to 2.5” lift upfront and a 2” lift in the rear.

This wouldn’t break the bank, wouldn’t stress out too many components, and it’s like the sweet spot for a lift (not considering extreme off-roading here)

This lift would also level the look as opposed to having too much of a rake.

Also in my opinion, standard basic OME maybe a little stiff but some people like a stiff ride.

There are other basic options that allow you to select the lift/height on the front coilovers.

Those brands include but not limited to Eibach, Bilstein, Ironman, Dobinson, just to name a few in the basic entry level world.

In terms of tires, if you want 35s, here’s what you need to consider…

Gx470 Minimum Checklist for 35s:

• BMC (or a body mount relocation) and flatten pinch welds.
  • Aftermarket UCAs to get camber in the 3.5* to 4.0* range to move wheels forward.
  • 2.5” lift front; 2” lift rear. Lift doesn’t really reduce rubbing.
  • Trim oem front bumper or add aftermarket front bumper.
  • Trim front wheel well.
  • Remove/trim stock running boards or have rock sliders.
  • rims with offset in the range of +4 to -10. Offset impacts rubbing a lot.
  • Don’t get fat tires. Limit tire width from 10” to 11”. Fatter tires rub more.
  • And 35s add potential stress on transmission, cv axles, steering rack, spare location, etc!
And of course, all these potential issues can be solved with time, money, and effort.

Some people run 35s the right way, but that includes regearing to 4.56, an engine firmware tune, and lots of other little mods that will leave your wallet thin, but get zero rubbing.

Some people also run 37s or 39s but that’s way more advanced/complex than fitting 35s
Solid, thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom