Long Travel Rear Coil springs ? (Longer than stock Length) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently I decided I would remove the spacer on the rear 3.0 KING bypass shocks, that extended the shock shaft about an inch. Which means one inch of extra down travel and increased internal piston movement so added travel.

This in combination with the total chaos extended rear links (upper & lower rear upper arms, trailing arm, and Panhard rod) and the sway bar deletes means I can have much more down travel. However, after deleting the rear KING 3.0 shaft spacer and reinstalling it, I noticed the rear driver side coil spring is actually loose at full droop, meaning it's not long enough to handle the extra travel. I also wanted to upgrade to a 3.0 x 10-inch shaft shock or even 12 if I push it to the limits, as opposed to the 3.0 x 8-inch shaft which is the stock length shaft that comes from KING. I can't do that if the coil springs are stock length. I need longer coil springs with more free length. (Long travel coil springs). Similar to the ones metaltech 4x4 makes for the fj cruisers and 4runners.

I don't know who makes a longer coil spring for the LC200? Does anyone here have any idea? I could perhaps try to contact metaltech or other companies to get a custom spring set. I thought I'd try to ask you guys to see, I might not be checking the right places.

At first, I thought the aftermarket coil springs like KINGSprings, tough dog, Dobinson and OME make longer springs to add lift. However, I compared all those springs to the stock and they seem to have the same free height. The added lift might only be increased spring rate from stock.

My rear end currently is equipped: with Dobinson dual rate springs. (1.75-inch lift) The free length of the dobinsons: 17 inches.

Pictures:

(This picture is a comparison between a Dobinson dual rate coil spring, Stock OEM coil spring middle, and LX570 rear coil spring right, Same height/freelength)

(Picture of the 3.0 KING shaft spacers that I removed to extend the travel)

Any kind of help is very much appreciated.

Two things:
1. Contact Jason at trail tailer and get a set of his progressive coils. They are longer and have a better spring rate for what you are running.
I've tried OME 2722, 2721, and icon springs. Jason's are worlds better and much taller.

2. Check your down travel limit! I found out while trying to I stall the trail tailer springs, what limits your down travel in the rear is the upper control arm hitting the top of the fuel tank. Make sure you aren't hitting the tank on full droop.

Two things:
1. Contact Jason at trail tailer and get a set of his progressive coils. They are longer and have a better spring rate for what you are running.
I've tried OME 2722, 2721, and icon springs. Jason's are worlds better and much taller.

2. Check your down travel limit! I found out while trying to I stall the trail tailer springs, what limits your down travel in the rear is the upper control arm hitting the top of the fuel tank. Make sure you aren't hitting the tank on full droop.
Two things:

Some good advice right there, The local offroad workshop did warn me about the fuel tank. He told me that it is what limits down travel too, however, I don't think I have reached that point yet. There's still some room for an additional 1.5-2 inches.

I am really interested in these progressive springs, Jason at trail trailer? How do I get in contact with him?

Thanks!

Two things:

Long travel dual rate coil springs ordered from Trail Tailor, arriving soon. Thanks for letting me know about him!.

I have a question though since you brought up down travel limits.

This is what I know, down travel limit factors:

1. Sway bars (Deleted/Solved)

2. Factory rear links (Replaced with total chaos links/Solved)

3. Upper arm hitting fuel tank (let's say I get rid of the fuel tank and add a fuel cell)

4. ABS Wiring deleted no need to worry about that.

5. Brake lines (They are long enough to handle a lot of extra down travel, it seems)

6. Drive shaft pinion angle. (Not sure how to solve this one)

So how much down travel could I theoretically add to the rear? If it is currently using an 8.8-inch shaft do you think it would be possible to go with a 14-inch shock?

The 80 and 100 guys are big on the long-travel Slinky coils... don't know of anyone who has run them on a 200, but there's a first time for everything. You've already demonstrated, and to your credit, that you're not afraid to push the envelope! Trail Tailor makes awesome gear, so those will likely hit the sweet spot for you. The Slinky's are just another idea...

I follow your posts and videos and I've got to say, what you've done is impressive!

Keep innovating. Keep pushing.

The 80 and 100 guys are big on the long-travel Slinky coils... don't know of anyone who has run them on a 200, but there's a first time for everything. You've already demonstrated, and to your credit, that you're not afraid to push the envelope! Trail Tailor makes awesome gear, so those will likely hit the sweet spot for you. The Slinky's are just another idea...

Hey man, really appreciate the kind words!

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom