Long Range Automotive Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Short Version...
Got an LRA 40 gallon tank from Cruiser Brothers. Totally worth it! Getting about 475 miles on one tank. I lose a couple inches of clearance but Im not a rock crawler and the extended range is worth it.

Long Version...
I have an 01 Cruiser. 33 in tires, rock sliders, OME med springs n shocks, OEM bumpers, no re-gearing, no roof rack. I am super sensitive to adding unnecessary weight to the truck. I do not rock crawl at all. I drag the belly and rear bumper every now and then.

There are several things I regularly long for on this truck...one of them is more range. I have not really been interested in an aux tank. Did not want to relocate the spare or mess with transferring fuel.

Cruiser Brothers was top notch on setting up the payment and shipment of the tank. Arrived in less than a week, from California to Arizona. Install took 5 hours. My mechanic said the instructions provided were clear and easy. No surprises.

I hit 200 miles on exactly half a tank. I have fueled up at 475 and 480 miles, putting 38 gallons in each time, meaning there is about 2 gallons left in the 40 gallon tank and lines. This is driving the speed limit and a bit over on the interstate. Its also my daily driver. My daily drive to work is 50 miles round trip and 95% interstate.

When its full, I can feel the weight a bit, but nothing worth complaining about given the huge benefit of the extra range. Once I burned about a quarter tank I did not feel the extra weight at all.

I cannot explain how happy and satisfied I am with this new modification. I have no regrets and am happy to alleviate the frequent fill ups and constant nagging in my mind of keeping track of my fuel situation.

That's one thing i dislike about these trucks. Wonder if it'll fit on an 03+ skids.

Care to share some photos? Do you lose the spare?

Short Version...
Got an LRA 40 gallon tank from Cruiser Brothers. Totally worth it! Getting about 475 miles on one tank. I lose a couple inches of clearance but Im not a rock crawler and the extended range is worth it.

Long Version...
I have an 01 Cruiser. 33 in tires, rock sliders, OME med springs n shocks, OEM bumpers, no re-gearing, no roof rack. I am super sensitive to adding unnecessary weight to the truck. I do not rock crawl at all. I drag the belly and rear bumper every now and then.

There are several things I regularly long for on this truck...one of them is more range. I have not really been interested in an aux tank. Did not want to relocate the spare or mess with transferring fuel.

Cruiser Brothers was top notch on setting up the payment and shipment of the tank. Arrived in less than a week, from California to Arizona. Install took 5 hours. My mechanic said the instructions provided were clear and easy. No surprises.

I hit 200 miles on exactly half a tank. I have fueled up at 475 and 480 miles, putting 38 gallons in each time, meaning there is about 2 gallons left in the 40 gallon tank and lines. This is driving the speed limit and a bit over on the interstate. Its also my daily driver. My daily drive to work is 50 miles round trip and 95% interstate.

When its full, I can feel the weight a bit, but nothing worth complaining about given the huge benefit of the extra range. Once I burned about a quarter tank I did not feel the extra weight at all.

I cannot explain how happy and satisfied I am with this new modification. I have no regrets and am happy to alleviate the frequent fill ups and constant nagging in my mind of keeping track of my fuel situation.
You made my day, sir - and it’s my birthday :)

Glad you like it!

That's one thing i dislike about these trucks. Wonder if it'll fit on an 03+ skids.

Care to share some photos? Do you lose the spare?
Cruiser Brothers originally bought this tank to go on an 03 and up Cruiser. But it did not fit. There is (I'm assuming) an 03 and up specific model. This tank fits 02 and older 100 series.

A good point you brought up, this is a direct replacement for the oem tank. So your spare stays in the stock location. Old tank drops out, this one goes in its place.

Last edited:
I can only imagine how much it costs to fill that sucker. Lol

Thanks for the update wardharris, I have a 2003 and I am definitely interested in a bigger tank.

It’s gas you’re going to be buying eventually...... I can’t wait to have one once I’m back to upgrading the 100.

Great to hear this. I am anxiously awaiting mine, coming across the country now.

Yes, that is an odd thing for your mind to comprehend, just like seeing your trip read so differently on the mileage you get from the tank. I always find it odd that people make that a con in their discussion of these things. It saves me time and therefore gas when i don't have to take time and fill up as often. And overall you are spending the same amount of $$, just less often but bigger payments, which again is totally worth it.

Yes, that is an odd thing for your mind to comprehend, just like seeing your trip read so differently on the mileage you get from the tank. I always find it odd that people make that a con in their discussion of these things. It saves me time and therefore gas when i don't have to take time and fill up as often. And overall you are spending the same amount of $$, just less often but bigger payments, which again is totally worth it.

Yes and no. It takes 5min to fill the gas tank from empty. The price of gas changes daily. So, ion theroy, one could save money buy buying 40gal when the price is low and one could spend more by buying 40gal of fuel when the price is high.

Now if you still bought your fuel once a week and then only used the extended range while traveling none of that would really matter.

And let me be clear, I am not against a long range tank, I'd love to have one. I just would not enjoy spending $120 to fill it.

Yes and no. It takes 5min to fill the gas tank from empty. The price of gas changes daily. So, ion theroy, one could save money buy buying 40gal when the price is low and one could spend more by buying 40gal of fuel when the price is high.

Now if you still bought your fuel once a week and then only used the extended range while traveling none of that would really matter.

And let me be clear, I am not against a long range tank, I'd love to have one. I just would not enjoy spending $120 to fill it.
Oh yes I was not thinking you were against that, sorry about that, I was saying that in general surprised me. For me though my gas prices do not change very often or that drastically.

Does it use the OEM fuel pump and sending unit? Any skid plates or reinforcing done? Could it take a minor hit and be ok? How far below the frame rail would you say it hangs?

Im really interested in going this route. The auxiliary tank is a close second.

Oh yes I was not thinking you were against that, sorry about that, I was saying that in general surprised me. For me though my gas prices do not change very often or that drastically.

For any car you own fuel will be your largest expense over the life of that car.
Around here the price of fuel usually goes up late Wednesday and peaks Saturday morning. Then lowers again on Sunday and remains consistent until the middle of the week again.
Now if there is a holiday the price of fuel goes up until the holiday day, then drops drastically, then shoots back up the expected travel home day.
When I am in my city I buy my fuel at Costco (unless I'm cashing in my BP rewards for free fuel every 60days) and I buy it on Sundays, when it is typically cheaper. And I always make my Costco run when everyone is at church. The store is all but empty. BUT i must leave Costco before the mega church's let out otherwise I'll be sitting in super heavy traffic for an hour to go 3miles home.

The just put $60 in it.

Does it use the OEM fuel pump and sending unit? Any skid plates or reinforcing done? Could it take a minor hit and be ok? How far below the frame rail would you say it hangs?

Im really interested in going this route. The auxiliary tank is a close second.

Regular steel I believe. So I’m sure it could take plenty of dings.
About 2.5” below the frame
Uses ome pump and sending unit

Regular steel I believe. So I’m sure it could take plenty of dings.
About 2.5” below the frame
Uses ome pump and sending unit
Anyone know if this is something you could DIY? Or requires someone with a bit more knowledge/experience..?

I did it DIY-ish. At an auto garage that does my vehicles. It's a small business and family owned in a small town, so easy for them to do for me. I was there and did a lot of the work, most of the work. The mechanics there helped with advice and such. They had a lift, which was the best thing for this job. The only tricky thing was calibrating the fuel float rod so the fuel gauge would read correctly. The mechanic helped me with that and just kind of eyeballed it. It turned out pretty good. The fuel gauge does not go all the way to the top which is a little annoying, but it reads correctly at the bottom which is more important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom