Lockhart Basin Road (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A year and a half ago the Lockhart Basin Road was relatively easy to traverse, cept one little section that dropped down or up a very narrow canyon south of Hurrah Pass. This time? Yikes, 7 hours of extraordinarily technical wheelin got us to camp, then we decended north, down the narrow Canyon, on up through Hurrah Pass and into Moab. Sadly, this trip I needed to use the winch line of shame as a Chevy, winched me up some nasty steps! LOL here is but a small sample of what we encountered
E3D62CFB-1691-4DFA-B6C1-60ADE4305E2D.jpeg

take it easy on the trailer this time
That trailer can now take a beating and keeps on ticking! BTW, I’m pretty sure Stan had a great time.

Stan’s very capable truck & trailer
468C3AB1-B29D-4CE1-BB54-F91BF01FF525.jpeg

No shame in using the winch Don. That’s why we have them.

No shame in using the winch Don. That’s why we have them.
Yes, no shame really. The open diffed Colorado was surprizingly impressive. !

A year and a half ago the Lockhart Basin Road was relatively easy to traverse, cept one little section that dropped down or up a very narrow canyon south of Hurrah Pass. This time? Yikes, 7 hours of extraordinarily technical wheelin got us to camp, then we decended north, down the narrow Canyon, on up through Hurrah Pass and into Moab. Sadly, this trip I needed to use the winch line of shame as a Chevy, winched me up some nasty steps! LOL here is but a small sample of what we encounteredView attachment 3127954
Hope you don't mind me creepin around your club forum but, I'm headed to Lockhart Basin on Monday. Did you run south to north or north to south? I was planning on south to north and heading out to Lockhart Canyon if it's doable. A Tundra on 32s is coming so not sure if he'll make it based on what your reporting. TIA

Hope you don't mind me creepin around your club forum but, I'm headed to Lockhart Basin on Monday. Did you run south to north or north to south? I was planning on south to north and heading out to Lockhart Canyon if it's doable. A Tundra on 32s is coming so not sure if he'll make it based on what your reporting. TIA
We have done it both ways, but this last trip we traveled south from Indian Creek to North, Hurrah Pass and continued into Moab. Is the Tundra triple locked? Lifted? If not, the driver may be able to get through, but not without major tin damage and undercarriage/rocker panel damage. The previous time, heading south I did snap a 3500lb trailer spring in half. Now I have 5500lb springs.

We have done it both ways, but this last trip we traveled south from Indian Creek to North, Hurrah Pass and continued into Moab. Is the Tundra triple locked? Lifted? If not, the driver may be able to get through, but not without major tin damage and undercarriage/rocker panel damage. The previous time, heading south I did snap a 3500lb trailer spring in half. Now I have 5500lb springs.
Yeah, we are considering only going south to north until about here (38.32891, -109.67812) and maybe go north/north west into Lockhart Canyon. It seems like this is the easier section. I am interested in how the conditions are now and about how long it takes. Thanks again!

Yeah, we are considering only going south to north until about here (38.32891, -109.67812) and maybe go north/north west into Lockhart Canyon. It seems like this is the easier section. I am interested in how the conditions are now and about how long it takes. Thanks again!
The entire Lockhart Canyon Road has been inundated with heavy downpours over the past month or so. Wash outs are aplenty and it is rough going. In order to give any advice one must know what your vehicle capabilities are. Locked, lifted and outfitted with emergency gear? ( lots of extra food & water, cold weather survival gear, etc ) and extraction equipment, ( winch, straps, etc etc. ) This run is no longer for the faint of heart, or for "normal" vehicles. Good luck with your final decision

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom