Locating Original Owner - Any Suggestions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bought my ‘66 a couple years ago on eBay. In my efforts to register it here in California I had to take it to CHP to have a new VIN plate put on the fire wall. While at the CHP office they let me know it spent its entire life in Colorado. Maybe your state highway patrol can help with a lead - obviously won’t give a name but it’s a start.
They told me... No luck! Call DOL.

I bought my cruiser in late '79. While disassembling the dash and defroster ducts (which never worked very well) I found a Social Security card wedged in the duct. I believe the guy I bought it from was the second owner and that's not the name on the card. If I can find the card again, I'll post the name on the AZ HTF and see if anyone knows the family.

very good chance the original owner is dead and if he is alive may bot even know his own name.

very good chance the original owner is dead and if he is alive may bot even know his own name.
I've considered this possibility. But it's not a damn deusenberg... I'm hoping the original owner is alive but if not maybe a spouse or someone in the family who could tell its story.

I've considered this possibility. But it's not a damn deusenberg... I'm hoping the original owner is alive but if not maybe a spouse or someone in the family who could tell its story.
You never know. Google "how to locate vehicle history" and perhaps find something helpful there.

I’ve often wondered where my old 72 ended up, wouldn’t mind a little history on my current 69, but not too concerned.

I purchased my first 40 in Parker CO in 1993 The original owner pulled me over (a Denver police officer). I was 21 and will never forget that. He had recently had a divorce and had to sell his car.
I grew up in Parker, Colorado and then moved to Texas in '86 with a family move. My dad loved cars and we had a number of them - Porsches, Vetts, CJ7 and 5, etc. ...but the one I remember riding around with him when I was young was a mustard FJ40 (don't know the year). My mother loved the 40, but one day my dad sold it without telling her. She was super mad at him for it. Fast forward to 2017 my dad sold off all his cars because he was getting too old to work on them, but bought my mom an '82 freeborn red 40 in near stock condition. He passed away in 2019 at the age of 95. The '82 was handed down to me this year, so while it's not the 40 I rode around in as a kid, I have a bit of those memories with my dad that I'm extending on to my kids. I even got my dad's old Hi-Lift that I'll get brackets to mount on the 40. All this to say, these older cars aren't just transportation - they have stories.... I reached out to the original owner of my '82 and left a message, but never heard back. I'd love to chat with him to learn the history....so I get it.

I grew up in Parker, Colorado and then moved to Texas in '86 with a family move. My dad loved cars and we had a number of them - Porsches, Vetts, CJ7 and 5, etc. ...but the one I remember riding around with him when I was young was a mustard FJ40 (don't know the year). My mother loved the 40, but one day my dad sold it without telling her. She was super mad at him for it. Fast forward to 2017 my dad sold off all his cars because he was getting too old to work on them, but bought my mom an '82 freeborn red 40 in near stock condition. He passed away in 2019 at the age of 95. The '82 was handed down to me this year, so while it's not the 40 I rode around in as a kid, I have a bit of those memories with my dad that I'm extending on to my kids. I even got my dad's old Hi-Lift that I'll get brackets to mount on the 40. All this to say, these older cars aren't just transportation - they have stories.... I reached out to the original owner of my '82 and left a message, but never heard back. I'd love to chat with him to learn the history....so I get it.
That's an awesome story man. Thanks for sharing

Post a picture of yours. Somebody here will probably recognize it. A lot of us have sold some cruisers over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom