Loaner Steering Wheel (2017) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
We have a loaner steering wheel from a 2017 200 Series that we can use while getting ours redone.

Data point: Craft Customs in TX was recommended to me for steering wheel refinishing. They have a 3+ week turnaround time.

Here's the idea: if someone needs a loaner, they post up here in this thread. They then only need to cover the cost of shipping to have this shipped to them. When they are done with it, they ship it to the next person in line, and so forth. If nobody is in line yet, they hold onto it until it is needed again.

That way, nobody is out more than the cost of shipping for the loaner.

The one thing that would be nice is if we kept it moving with as little lag time as possible - as in, if you get the loaner, get your wheel out to the refinisher asap, and when you get your wheel out, send the loaner to the next person.

Back story: I've wanted to get my steering wheel reupholstered for a long time, but since I drive my 200 regularly, and don't have local places that reupholster steering wheels, I've put the idea on hold. I get the impression that there are several of us in the same boat. I watched eBay and other places for a spare steering wheel at a good price. It eluded me until recently when member @Norcal470 posted up offering his steering wheel for free. All I had to do was pay for the ride. (side note, I am constantly impressed by the generosity of 'mud members). Thanks to this, I'm able to get my steering wheel redone while using this as a temporary stand in.

When I got the steering wheel, knowing it was to be a loaner, I sanded down and feathered the edges of the damaged areas, cleaned it with alcohol and moved my Loncky cover over to it. My sewing job isn't going to win any awards, but it is perfectly serviceable as a stand in for a few weeks.

My steering wheel is on its way to Texas and I expect this loaner will be ready to go out to the next person in line by April 1st.

The first person in line is @Fisher23. I'll coordinate with him to get it shipped as soon as mine gets back.

Please post up here if you are interested.

This is a bit of an experiment too, it relies on everyone doing their part and keeping the goodwill started by @Norcal470 going as long as possible.

Last edited:
Steering wheel removal.

Tips and tricks for steering wheel removal:

• Before getting out of the car
    • Slide drivers seat to rearmost and lowest position to make room to work
    • Center steering wheel
  • Disconnect the battery ground cable and wait 15 min
    • FSM says 90 seconds, but I don't mess around with explosives
  • Using a very small screwdriver pop off the trim covers on the rear of the steering wheel (one around the cruise control stalk, one a blank opposite of that)
  • Using a small but longer screwdriver engage the three metal spring clips that hold the airbag on
    • Two on the driver side and one on the passenger side
    • This is where you will be happy that you slid the seat back all the way so you can lay on your drivers side floor and see the pesky spring clip
  • Use a paint pen or a punch to mark the 12 o'clock position on the steering wheel shaft
    • This will help with reinstallation - believe it or not, only one tooth off is still a lot of angle
  • Loosen and back off - but do not remove - the center nut holding the steering wheel on the shaft
  • Use an approprate puller, remove the steering wheel - there are two threaded bosses in the aluminum for use with a puller
    • When you can't find the puller, thump the steering wheel from behind in two positions roughly 180 degrees from each other until it pops off the shaft (now you are happy that you left the center nut on partially and don't have to go to the hospital with a black eye or broken nose) :)
  • The rest is kind of self explanatory and I posted about it previously (see below)

Last edited:
Some pictures of the loaner wheel.

After moving Loncky wrap over..
5689DC77-1566-4F3F-8D57-4FC31F9C5509.jpeg

Before
2EAEBE5E-EE69-4073-9EBC-B0DB4E04C6F6.jpeg
474C4E64-F5E0-4B02-AC06-775844D57FCF.jpeg
5E9BB03D-3CA5-400B-AEFB-908E5B9420D1.jpeg
1B6E6CD8-F821-4690-98FF-9D5E847C5216.jpeg

Last edited:
Holding this post for some before and after pics of the steering wheel from my '16 that I am having redone.

Before:
965CD497-C7E4-4DEB-B504-64F06A50EC9C.jpeg

After:

(Coming soon)

Last edited:
Yep, it is ready to go to the next person. Sorry, a Moab trip, three deaths in the family and a 80 build had me distracted.

All the 2016, 2017 and 2018 have the same steering wheel leather defect. Personally I think it should be a recall item!

All the 2016, 2017 and 2018 have the same steering wheel leather defect. Personally I think it should be a recall item!

Is it really confirmed that the 2019+ use a different leather that is more durable? If so, that's great news since it means we have a somewhat permanent upgrade path when our 2016-2018 steering wheels get really bad.

Anyone have photos of the "after" on this? Just got a new to me 2017 and the steering wheel is trashed.

I sent the loaner steering wheel to @Fisher23 months ago. Please post here and tag him, if you need it next.

Yes it's in my garage I haven't started on this yet. I was installing my lockers and now that the lockers are done I'll start on this likely the end of this month.

@CharlieS how did your's turn out?

I am really happy with it. Thanks for asking.

I’d like to throw my name in the hat for the steering wheel share. How does one get on the list?

There's no official sign up, just posting on this thread like you did. Coordinate with @Fisher23 to get it shipped to you once he is finished.

@Fisher23 how did your steering wheel turn out? Did it ever make it to @banieldowen after you were done with it? Lets keep this thing going!

Just have to say the ad-hoc loaner steering wheel is fantastic. The 100-series forum has the same and I sent my steering wheel to Craft Customs in Texas. Turned out nicely, but it's not holding up as long as OEM, which doesn't completely surprise me. Nonetheless, it's good to reset the clock on the steering wheel finish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom