Lights question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve tried looking at past posts but can’t get info I needed for my situation.
I have a 75 fj40. My son n I were working on. Lights were working except for taillight. We just had finished repairing that …
We took off fuse block n cleaned connections for fuses up and connections at back of fuse box. Reinstalled. Now no lights.
We did disconnect battery before we removed and cleaned fuse box connections.
I’m at a loss. Any help appreciated

Your description of the problem is a little vague. "Lights were working except for taillight. We just had finished repairing that . . . " So were they working before you took off the fuse block or were they still not working?

Your description of the problem is a little vague. "Lights were working except for taillight. We just had finished repairing that . . . " So were they working before you took off the fuse block or were they still not working?
Yes we had just been working on them and they were working but with some intermittency. So we cleaned the fuse box with emery paper and after Bolting it up. Nothing Hopefully that clarifies. Thx

Only you know what you did and was disassembled. Did you mess with the grounds while you were there?

Only you know what you did and was disassembled. Did you mess with the grounds while you were there?
No we did not mess with grounds. There is only one way to reinstall oem fuse box right. Just the two screws from what I’m seeing?

Does it have a fusible link - you might have blown that. Does anything else electrical work?

Sounds like a dodgy fuse - they often look good but are broken.
Test for 12V on both sides of each fuse.
I checked only with test light and lights up on both sides of each fuse. ??

You have no headlights or tail lights?
Can you get to the headlight connector and check for power there?

You have no headlights or tail lights?
Can you get to the headlight connector and check for power there?
Checked with test light and have light on both sides of each fuse. Replaced fuse in fusible link. Have no lights at all . No headlights, not turn signals.......
Going to check for power at headlights Thx

Ok that's strange.
If you have a common blackout then you'd expect the fault to be upstream of the fuse box, so you'd see no power at the fuse box....

First thing to check... how bright is your test lamp when directly across the battery?
Second - is it just as bright when you test at the fuse box?

If you do have power into the fuse box, then most likely you have bad connections as they leave the fuse box - let's see a photo of the connections on the back.

Easy thing to check is power at the green- red wires at the big hazard switch connector near the centre of the dash.

Does anything work at all?
No stop lights?
No Hazards?
No dash lights?
No turn signal?
No Tail &Side lights?

Ok that's strange.
If you have a common blackout then you'd expect the fault to be upstream of the fuse box, so you'd see no power at the fuse box....

First thing to check... how bright is your test lamp when directly across the battery?
Second - is it just as bright when you test at the fuse box?

If you do have power into the fuse box, then most likely you have bad connections as they leave the fuse box - let's see a photo of the connections on the back.

Easy thing to check is power at the green- red wires at the big hazard switch connector near the centre of the dash.

Does anything work at all?
No stop lights?
No Hazards?
No dash lights?
No turn signal?
No Tail &Side lights?
I will get a photo of the connections tomorrow. Im working this evening and will be away from the vehicle. Thank you for your input. Much appreciated

Thanks to you all that replied for your advice. I now have lights and everything except my turn signals are working. No power making it to the turn signals.
Flashers (hazards ) are working. Gonna dive back into it over the weekend...

Hazards and flashers are different fuses. Each one has a feed to the hazard switch connector - test for voltage on each green-red wire

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom