Lighting Solutions? sPOD? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
NOTE: I do NOT own the image--pulled from Northridge 4x4 website.

Effectively I am reaching the end of parts list for the build. Front-to-back of the rig parts are roughly $20K. Which is about what I suspected before I started. I have 18-24mo.s to find a fabricator, powder coat shop, a CNC shop (I am gonna get local quotes for a rear storage built to spec. including a secured lock box for guns and gear).

I am starting to dig into accessories with a focus on lighting. I have not spent enough time in the threads to get a sense of what a lighting schematic will look like... right now, I am just considering components...

What’s the known performance history of sPOD components?

Seems as though the things are huge in the JEEP community but as these things go I am more concerned about quality than popularity per se... I want to be able to FEDEX chit overnight when the rig breaks down but I’ll be super pissed if I break down because of some poor quality choice in gear.

bstjxqc4optxt0qocvtv.jpeg

Powder coasters are everywhere. CNC shops hate small/prototype runs so they tend not to do them.

SPod is fine but take a look at their new Bantam unit.

I've used sPod on several builds and they make great stuff. If you want simple, turnkey wiring, they are hard to beat. You can also look at Trigger and SwitchPros - both are sPod competitors. Of course, if you have some basic wiring skill you can pretty much build all of these systems for way less, but the convenience of plug n'play is is hard to beat.

If you want the sPod, I'd strongly recommend their new Bantam unit. It's a third of the size of their Source unit. That's what I'm running in my 80.

Thanks for the heads-up.

I will check the Bantam line w/ the sPOD and certainly look at Trigger and SwitchPros. Retail inventory is an issue with me.

I am largely sticking with tried-and-true items but we plan to be on the road for a year so the custom s*** as a general rule cannot have electronics or fluids going-through it. So available retail stock or ease of R&R is critical. The only thing I want requiring a download for updates is the stereo head unit.

NLXTACY lol. That’s terrible. lol.

I grew-up and spent 35 years in Santa Clarita. My grandparents on both sides of the family lived in the SFV nearly all their lives. I know the area fairly intimately. I just had to get out. The heat was unreal. One year it was something like 90F+ on Christmas day. I am getting old.Those guys with CopperState Cruisers, I have no idea how they do it.

Thanks for the heads-up McDowra. I don’t know but I just love the idea of having a centralized accessory switch location rather than cut and paste or punching-out bezels and utilizing non-oem switches. Just one of those things with me but again, thanks for suggestion.

Also as another option there is the ARB Linx. Very modular and fully feature packed. Only downside is all the add-on modules you'll need to purchase depending on what you want it to do.

I highly considered this before going with my switchpro

Home - ARB Linx - Vehicle Accessory Interface

synapse Very rad. I am taking the kid swimming, I’ll dig into the link when I get back. Really appreciate the page, very thoughtful.

NLXTACY Hey, look, I was thinking I might be down in the SFV sometime early in 2020...?

Yeah, heading down there for sure, there’s this really sweet patch down in your neck of the woods.

Anyway I’ll toss this out there and you can chew on it but maybe the wife and I while passing through can take you out to lunch one day. I could really use some southern Californian Mexican food.

Nothing better in the SFV than the food, nothing like it at least that I have found.

Anyway, we’ll pay-you cover the tip. My wife is a waitress, so tip well.

It’ed be cool if you’ed autograph the fender or something.

Regardless, the patch is cool and worth driving down to West Hills to pick up.

Unknown.png

@Laisser aller First you are way too kind and although Los Toros is solid, have you tried Las Fuentes in Reseda? Either way I'm down and my treat for sure.

As to signing anything, is that admitting guilt on my part? Why lower your vehicle's value? :hmm:

lol. NLXTACY That’s why I am thinking it will be wrapped.

If things go south by the end of lunch that ***T will be ripped-off the truck before reaching Disneyland, probably somewhere in traffic down near Anaheim.

OMG. So glad to be out of the region. Too big and anymore to my liking I have found the best freeways are made for bicycles, not a single automobile on them.

Las Fuentes? Must be great, I am down.

Hey, straight-up; you’re in the threads almost daily. These guys taping their front windshield with clear 3M... what kind of gimmick is that? But if its legit than that’s better than locating a front glass on the road after coming off Mojave Road or heading into Moab by way of Mexican Hat.

Who knows that kind of chit on 3M... is it legit or gimmick?

Caught a bolt at about 60MPH along the freeway a few months back. I need glass to get into some of these sanctioned runs... I sure as chit do not want to put in GLASS a couple times in a year. Hauling through the mid-west should be a sketchy time for the glass...

Last edited:
I've used Spods in my last 4 builds with never an issue and I ran alot of lights - the new bantam is slick but spendy, I settled for the same old 6 switch setup for now in my new build.

Wholly smokes synapse! That ARB LINX unit is worth keeping an eye on. Super sharp. That’s what I am talking about. I am gonna dig further into it--real attractive piece.

Gotta think like a German tho... redundancy. ARB’s rep is solid. Really intrigued by it at first glance. The customer/consumer support of ARB is hard to overlook.

Last edited:
spod is nice for sure but if you're looking for ease of parts and repairs you can't go wrong with a simple switch and relay. Can pick up replacements at any auto parts store. I figure I have room for about 8 accessories in the various blank switch areas in the LC. I am not running OEM switches, the MICtuning ones on amazon fit in the factory slot very well and they sell the same size at my local Autozone, just does not have the label. I've been running them in my RZR and LC for a few years with no issues. It does take more time to wire it all up but once done replacing a relay takes seconds, the switch maybe a minute.

synapse Hey, I am not trying to be funny. Seriously, with this ARB Linx, super sweet looking device... but do you know if one can operate ONE ARB LINX unit upfront in the cab while a 2nd ARB Linx device is mounted near the rear hatch and have both be operational effectively at the same time?

No joke, I seriously do not know... I am curious, can you shed any insight on whether a secondary/redundant ARB Linx system can be mounted in a functional manner elsewhere?

Last edited:
Wholly smokes synapse! That ARB LYNX unit is worth keeping an eye on. Super sharp. That’s what I am talking about. I am gonna dig further into it--real attractive piece.

Gotta think like a German tho... redundancy. ARB’s rep is solid. Really intrigued by it at first glance. The customer/consumer support of ARB is hard to overlook.

It is a finely polished piece on paper IMO. My only own personal concern is with the Android display. I'm def all in for Android, but just curious about reliability over time. I feel my switchpro's switch panel will last longer. All the sensors/modules and customizability of the unit is what I like about the Linx. ARB thought of everything on this one. In the end I didn't need everything it offered.

I did consider sPOD. I like how sPOD now offers a solid state design. But comparing solid state equivalents you're paying much more for sPOD, but to me the aesthetics on the switch-pros panel just looks more at home on our Land Cruisers. Just better fit and finish. All I think are equivalent in terms of quality. I've never heard anything bad about Switch-Pro or sPOD. But, (and not to ruffle anyone's feathers) I think aesthetically, Jeep > sPOD, Toyota > Switch-Pro or ARB if you care about these kinds of things. sPOD does look like it's made by a small shop with not much resources for industrial design, but also majority of their customer base are Jeep owners, and they do quite look good in a Jeep so maybe it was intended to be that way.

Last edited:
synapse Hey, I am not trying to be funny. Seriously, with this ARB Linx, super sweet looking device... but do you know can one ARB Linx operate upfront in the cab while a 2nd ARB is mounted near the rear hatch and be operational?

No joke, I seriously do not know... I am curious, can you shed any insight on whether a secondary/redundant ARB Linx system can be mounted in a functional manner elsewhere?

Probably CANBus and/or WiFi.

The linx thing is proprietary. Be sure you read the reviews on it. Some folks notice a few annoyances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom