Lighting newbie ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am a newbie when it comes to hooking up lights and debating if I should tackle the job my self or take to a shop. Just purchased a 94 LC that came with lighting not yet installed in the ARB bumper.

Two sets of lights:
Amazon.com: Auxbeam 7" LED Light Bar 36W 3600LM CREE Driving Light 30 Degree Spot Beam Waterfroof for Car Pickup SUV UTV Jeep Truck Off-Road Boat: Automotive
and
Amazon.com: LED Light Bar Nilight 2PCS 18w Spot Lights Led Pods Off Road Work Light Led Fog Lights Bar Driving led Lights Truck Jeep Lamp Boat Lights,2 years Warranty: Automotive

I am trying learn and do as much work myself on the new purchase, Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I say go for it now is the time to get started. Watch a YouTub Video or two on hooking up light ask Questions here on MUD you will be fine and the trail will be much brighter at nite.

Installing electrical accessories can be super simple for a hack job, and doesn't get a lot more complicated to do it right, but doing it right takes a bit more time.
The easiest way is to just wrap a piece of wire with exposed copper around the positive battery lead, then route that to a switch in the cab (simplest will be an aftermarket switch screwed under the dash). Run another wire from the switch to your light (positive lead if LED, and doesn't matter which wire on most incandescent lights). Run the negative lead from the light to any metal part of the truck to ground it.
To do it right, there are several extra things. Switch your battery terminal to one that you can tap into neatly, so you maintain a solid connection there. Add a fuse as close to the battery as possible so that if/when a bare wire touches ground (other than where you wanted it) you don't melt the wire (creating an unintentional fuse). There are switches that fit the dash blanks on our trucks that you can use if you feel comfortable taking apart the dash. (Youtube has videos. Search for radio replacement or instrument replacement videos.) Bonus points for adding a relay, so the switch in the cab just activates the relay and you run another power lead to the power circuit of the relay. More bonus points if you run your ground lead from the lights back to the negative terminal of the battery; but some (I) would say that just adds to the clutter of wires you're adding to the truck.

As suggested above, check out other people's videos. The installers who took more time to do it right the first time are the people I'd suggest you copy. For many years I've installed my lights the slacker way ("easiest way" above) and it worked fine until it didn't. Then I burnt wires or had a small short that killed batteries, or.... I'm mostly too lazy to do it right, and have lately just skipped adding some of the accessories that I'd like, rather than doing it the lazy way.

Thanks for the replys, I am going to find some videos and and attempt to do it myself. Madison r34, the lights did not come with a harness. I would have to run the wires.

Thanks for the replys, I am going to find some videos and and attempt to do it myself. Madison r34, the lights did not come with a harness. I would have to run the wires.

You will need x2 of these:
30 amp relay
Toggle switch
Inline spade fuse holder
30 amp spade fuse

Depending on how you want to wire the lights, you will need a Add a Fuse to tap into a fuse like your stereo to switch ypur relay.

If you want pictures I can send you some
I just wired my Rigid lights.

30 amp relay
Toggle switch
Inline spade fuse holder
30 amp spade fuse

Depending on how you want to wire the lights, you will need a Add a Fuse to tap into a fuse like your stereo to switch ypur relay.

Isn't 30 amp kinda big? LED doesn't regiure much juice..... I use 15 amp, that way the fuse will pop quicker. 30 amp will melt smaller wires that are on the China LED's...... just saying!

30 amp relay
Toggle switch
Inline spade fuse holder
30 amp spade fuse

Madisonr34, thanks for the parts list, I was actually trying to figure out what all I needed. If you wouldn't mind, some pics of your install would be great. I really appreciate the help.

You can buy already made harnesses and splice them in. RIGID sells them as well. Its cheaper then buying individual parts to make a harness.

You can buy already made harnesses and splice them in. RIGID sells them as well. Its cheaper then buying individual parts to make a harness.

Thanks for the info, I was looking at a few harnesses and not to sure which to go with. I will have two sets of lights in the bumper so I need to make sure I get the right one.

The only difference is going to be where the lights actually plug into the harnesess. Its just a + and ground wire. You can cut and splice your lights in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom