Light Bar Drop-Down on Gamiviti Rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gamiviti.com has a new page up for roof rack ordering. I'm ready to put one of these on my '02 LC, but can't make a decision about the Light Bar Drop Down feature. I'm looking forward to 100's in the Hills where I can check out a lot of builds and see what people like and why, but I'd like to get this rack ordered this week.

Anyone out there have an opinion on the Light Bar Drop Down feature on the Gamiviti Roof Rack? How do you think it looks? Does it ride too close to the roof when the Expo bars are down? Does anyone run a light bar without the drop down, and if so, would you have preferred the drop down instead?

As always, thanks!

I went round and round with the idea with Tim before confirming my purchase. I knew I wanted to have the ability to have a light bar mounted on the rack, and I wasn't quite sure how I wanted to go about it. In the end, the drop down won out, since I knew I would be able to put a fairing on in front, if I needed, and it allows the bar to be tucked inside the rack. It IS close to the roof, and Tim and I discussed, that it might look funny when flipped over(however, whenever I flip the rack, I don't feel I'll be concerned that the light bar drop down/up will look funny)....I ended up one-stop-shopping and got the light bar and clip on fairing from Gamiviti. Still have yet to clip on the fairing since the wind noise hasn't bothered me. I think the light bar helps to act as it's own fairing, to some degree.
Couple install photos, sorry for the lighting and quality of images, but they're what I have on hand. Not sure if I left the adjustment as close as it is in the pictures. At present, there's probably a 1/4" clearance, but with the righty of the rack and towers, it doesn't even flex down with my weight up top. I don't recall what my available adjustment forward was, but that would help the cause, as well. Fortunately, there is a great deal of adjustability in the Gamiviti towers and rack.

Last edited:
Are you planning to use an RTT ever? If yes, I'd think hard about leaving the rack solid above the sunroof . With an RTT up top there isn't any room for anything else if you get that area cut out and to get that space back it is $120. I'm pissed at myself because I never use my sunroof and knew that before I ordered the rack but just didn't think things through well enough.

My Gamiviti is on it's way and scheduled to arrive Tuesday of next week. Obviously it is not here yet or installed, so I can't offer real-world opinions. However, I also went back and forth on whether or not to go for the light bar drop down option so at least I can share my thought process.

I do not have a light bar, nor do I plan on running a light bar in the near future (read next year or two) but I did end up adding the light bar drop down option to my rack. For me, it came down to keeping my options open. I am still early in my LC build and I know I am going to keep this truck for a very long time. Although I don't want or need a light bar now, I know I am one of those guys that never settles and likes to have the best possible gear. With or without the light bar drop down option, I was planning to run a fairing on the front of the rack. In the near term, running a fairing hides any of the oddities of not running light bar in the drop down space. In the long term, I reserve myself the option to add a light bar later.

And just for reference, this is the build I am going with, as inspired by @paflytyer. I believe he ran a light bar in front of his fairing before Gamiviti even offered a drop down option. You can check out his build thread for more info.

3 towers per side
Expo
Sunroof Cutout
Full Grid
2 light tabs in front for light bar
2 light tabs in rear corners
Light bar drop down
Snap-on wind fairing

I am also interested to see how much clearance I can get after adjustment. If it helps, I can get pics up when I get it on later this week.

I am actually going to finish installing today. I would agree with @SierraWheeler that if you have any thoughts about running a light bar in the future just do it! I believe that the theory is that the drop bar will cast a shadow to prevent glare, but it also frames the light very nicely especially if you order from Tim!

The drop bar does sit close to the roof so I have decided to raise the rack to its max setting. But this is not necessary.... i have 4 mounts and there is no way that the rack could flex that much. (I can't imagine the flex with 3 towers either)

I will post some pictures later today.

Tom

Go for it, the placement is setup to minimize hood glare and is pretty effective. Adding a bar in the future would be a pain and a bit compromised so if you think it's a possibility, have it built in now. As for flex and clearance, I have a custom version of this with a bigger bar and run my rack as low as I can, have about 1/4" clearance to the roofline in front, run an RTT and awning on it and never have had any contact. I've driven it really hard like this, high speed woops, twisty rocks, tent on the trees, you name it but never any contact, flex, or mounting issues at all. I can't say enough good things about my Gamiviti rack!

Are you planning to use an RTT ever? If yes, I'd think hard about leaving the rack solid above the sunroof . With an RTT up top there isn't any room for anything else if you get that area cut out and to get that space back it is $120. I'm pissed at myself because I never use my sunroof and knew that before I ordered the rack but just didn't think things through well enough.

Is the $120 you're referencing the Sunroof Filler? I didn't know this was an option before, but I love the idea. I'm going to order one of these, and do the sunroof cutout so that it can go both ways. Check out this link and look at the bottom of the page to see what I'm talking about. Yes, it's more money but an option that I really like: 100 Series Roof Rack

My Gamiviti is on it's way and scheduled to arrive Tuesday of next week. Obviously it is not here yet or installed, so I can't offer real-world opinions. However, I also went back and forth on whether or not to go for the light bar drop down option so at least I can share my thought process.

I do not have a light bar, nor do I plan on running a light bar in the near future (read next year or two) but I did end up adding the light bar drop down option to my rack. For me, it came down to keeping my options open. I am still early in my LC build and I know I am going to keep this truck for a very long time. Although I don't want or need a light bar now, I know I am one of those guys that never settles and likes to have the best possible gear. With or without the light bar drop down option, I was planning to run a fairing on the front of the rack. In the near term, running a fairing hides any of the oddities of not running light bar in the drop down space. In the long term, I reserve myself the option to add a light bar later.

And just for reference, this is the build I am going with, as inspired by @paflytyer. I believe he ran a light bar in front of his fairing before Gamiviti even offered a drop down option. You can check out his build thread for more info.

3 towers per side
Expo
Sunroof Cutout
Full Grid
2 light tabs in front for light bar
2 light tabs in rear corners
Light bar drop down
Snap-on wind fairing

I am also interested to see how much clearance I can get after adjustment. If it helps, I can get pics up when I get it on later this week.

Thanks for this. A big thanks to @AimCOtaco and @od4x4 too. With these thoughts, and the great pics from @HFDPNL above, I'm going to get the drop down light bar. Thanks guys!

Is the $120 you're referencing the Sunroof Filler? I didn't know this was an option before, but I love the idea. I'm going to order one of these, and do the sunroof cutout so that it can go both ways. Check out this link and look at the bottom of the page to see what I'm talking about. Yes, it's more money but an option that I really like: 100 Series Roof Rack

Yeah thats what I'm referring to. If you order it as an option from the get go I believe Tim can add the tabs so the filler can be easier and quicker to install.

It sounds like you are all set, I hope you enjoy your rack when its ready. I know I've enjoyed mine a lot despite wishing I had made a few different decisions when I ordered it.

Gamiviti racks are second to none. Buy the drop down option. It can be covered by a fairing and you have the option to mount one up at a later time. The cost on high quality LED light bars is dropping all the time. I have plenty of light up front with IPF Fogs and Hella 4000's and I still am adding a light bar for trail work.

I'm ordering a rack this week. For those of you who ordered, what would you do different or what are you glad you did when ordering? I plan to do drop down light bar option as well as sunroof cut out. I will buy solid removable piece for cut out. My main 2 questions are half, full, or drop down basket? Also is 4th plate hardware necessary?

I'm ordering a rack this week. For those of you who ordered, what would you do different or what are you glad you did when ordering? I plan to do drop down light bar option as well as sunroof cut out. I will buy solid removable piece for cut out. My main 2 questions are half, full, or drop down basket? Also is 4th plate hardware necessary?

I assume you're referring to the dropbasket as the wire basket that Tim can weld in between the load bars. If you're referring to the perimeter rails that hang below the main, then that's called EXPO and you'll want that.

Drop down basket (NOT EXPO)= no....get's in the way and I'd rather just attach a modular basket for the times I need it.
Gridwork = no...I haven't found a compelling need for the gridwork and it adds a BUNCH of weight.
4th Plate = maybe.....I did it and like it. It evens out the shock-loads on the roof when carrying heavy items such as a wheel, rooftop tent, fluid containers, etc. I think for the money, it's a no-brainer.
GET THE EXPO++ (wonderful handholds and makes working around the rack so much easier)

My setup is the Expo++, sunroof cutout and light drop-down with LED bar.

Tim is a GREAT guy to work with!

IMG_5644.JPG

Tundra Wheels.JPG

Last edited:
I just purchased a rack for my LX from Tim luckily I'm local in Colorado so he helped me with the install. I went with the expo ++ with the sunroof cut out and light bar drop down and even the rear led light points. I couldn't be happier with the out come and wouldn't hesitate to do business with Tim great guy and quality stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom